Gibson Brands Forums

Paul McCartney Epiphone

ponty

Believe it or not the seller may not be on puppy chow.

The guitar was one of the 40 signed Epi Texans made in Bozeman of which 35 were released for sale (Sir Paulie kept 5). Not sure what they have actually sold for but some wingnut had one on eBay a while back and was asking $100K (which he did not get).

There was another Bozeman-made run of the same guitar minus Sir Paulie's signature which sold for $2,000 less. Something like 250 were made plus a 25 guitar overrun which I believe all went to Fullers. I have seen these go in the $4,500.00 range. A third much larger issue of the guitars came out of Japan.

Believe it or not the seller may not be on puppy chow.

The guitar was one of the 40 signed Epi Texans made in Bozeman of which 35 were released for sale (Sir Paulie kept 5). Not sure what they have actually sold for but some wingnut had one on eBay a while back and was asking $100K (which he did not get).

There was another Bozeman-made run of the same guitar minus Sir Paulie's signature which sold for $2,000 less. Something like 250 were made plus a 25 guitar overrun which I believe all went to Fullers. I have seen these go in the $4,500.00 range. A third much larger issue of the guitars came out of Japan.

According to the ad, this would be one of the something like 250 without signature. It is part of too large a run to be one of the original 40 signed ones. The signature on the certificate in the photo must therefore be a facsimile. Not sure whether the unsigned ones are worth this much, but you have to factor in the old chestnut that UK prices are higher. Whether 4500 USD up to over 5K GBP is normal is then another question. Peter Cook's is not in Denmark St, but it is sort of on the London guitar shop circuit that includes Denmark St. Perhaps he can add a premium on those grounds (though in pre-internet days, he was one of the cheaper bulk sellers). On the other hand, Peter Cook is also a well-known satirist, and perhaps his prices reflect this fact. You might get a cheaper Texan from Dudley Moore's.

On the basis you can pick up far more interesting and collectable models (originals too) for the same money or less, I'd guess you could pick up an original 60's Texan for less, no? This is just mental.... he must be having a laugh. ..and shamelessly cashing in on just how Beatles obsessed some nutjobs are.

There's a 37 Roy Smeck on Ebay right now (unadjusted) for the same money. I'd say in the longer game it has to be a better buy....

I've never understood the logic of paying for someone's else's signature, unless it was on a much larger check made out to me.

Sometimes you've no option, Nick....

I've no great connection to Keb Mo, I don't own his records, nor am I likely to, never seen him live nor am I likely to... It was a premium I had to swallow to get the guitar I wanted based solely on the specs, I will say that only having his sig on the TR cover & label was a bonus though, inlay work such as the RJ sports would have been a no-no. I'd have been thrilled had it been a regular model and that bit cheaper. I never even knew he was a guy till after I'd bought it, I assumed it was some dead geezer or a place in the Delta or some other sales frill BS.

All my Gretsches carry the Chet sig connection, again this was not bought to align with Mr Atkins, but because I love the Gretsch sound / looks / vibe and because they're the closest in feel to playing an acoustic you can get IMO. Again, I'd happily have paid a couple of hundred less to not have a Chet sig guard on it.

I can live with a sig (if I've little other option) so long as it's not inlayed or on the body or something...

According to the ad, this would be one of the something like 250 without signature. It is part of too large a run to be one of the original 40 signed ones. The signature on the certificate in the photo must therefore be a facsimile.

The original 40 were all aged to look like Macca`s 64 Texan, and were signed by him on the guitars tops, as well as interior labels.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-aged-texan-acoustic-guitar-signed-by-paul-mccartney.-1-of-only-40-produced

The other 250 Bozeman made Texan`s all have interior Blue labels signed by McCartney.

The final run of 1964 were made in Japan (Terada) and these have a Blue label that carries a facsimile signature.

All three issues of this Texan both U.S. and Japanese are made out of solid timbers and have a Nitrocellulose finish.

As with the Bozeman made Texans, there are overruns with Terada too, of which I own one. [biggrin]

There is a general consensus of opinion that the Japanese version is more accurate than the Bozeman model in actual specs/construction, compared to original 60s Texans, with similar bracing etc. They are also incredibly light.

Despite Gibson`s hype, the Bozeman made McCartney Texan`s are not exact replica`s of Paul`s actual guitar, there are differences, some of which are visible others not so. For example the fretboards on the Bozeman reissues go right up to the soundhole, this is not the case on McCartney`s actual guitar or the Terada made version.

My 2004 Terada made "Macca" Ft-79 Texan (This is either an overrun, or one of the guitars used for advertising the line, which started in October 04)

P1011035.jpg

Here is the advertising for the third and final run of Texans. Notice the guitar used in the photo shoot doesn`t have a Blue label or serial number on the back of the headstock.

http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/News/2006/The-Limited-Edition-Paul-McCartney-Texan--Video.aspx

Steve.

Sometimes you've no option, Nick....

I've no great connection to Keb Mo, I don't own his records, nor am I likely to, never seen him live nor am I likely to... It was a premium I had to swallow to get the guitar I wanted based solely on the specs, I will say that only having his sig on the TR cover & label was a bonus though, inlay work such as the RJ sports would have been a no-no.

I can live with a sig (if I've little other option) so long as it's not inlayed or on the body or something...

I understand that one completely. Sometimes there's no getting around it. I have a 000-28 EC, and I wish it didn't have Clapton's name inlaid on the fretboard. I bought it because I like the appointments, and it had nothing at all to do with the Clapton association, even though I happen to like his work.

I think Ponty here special-ordered a non-Clapton 000-28 with the EC appointments. I'm generally too cheap to buy a new guitar, but I bought the EC used at a very good price, and can live with the inlaid name, which is fairly subtle.

Of course, I could probably tolerate a guitar that said "Roy Smeck Stage DeLuxe" on the headstock......

Gosh, I would LOVE to have a guitar signed by him. Nobody on earth I would rather have a sig from than him. Would be cool to have a Beatle sig. For me, he is the pinnacle. Saw him in concert two nights ago, unbelievably good. Have seen him three times and will do so again! What a musician, still singing and playing great at 70. His acoustics sounded awesome live.

Archived