Gibson Brands Forums

NAD

My new amp came yesterday. I haven't had much of a chance to play with it, but I took some pics. Hope it sounds as good as it looks. Some reviews were not that good, but a beginner has to start somewhere. Does anyone have suggestions for replacement tubes for southern rock, bluesy sound? Thanks Al

post-46617-016818800 1353074470_thumb.jpg

I tried one at one point, and I wasn't too impressed with the basic sound.

However, I don't know what tubes or speaker it came with stock, and if I had a chance, I would try ANYTHING I could get my hands on.

For example, it only uses one power tube. That means, no need to look for matched tubes, and you can literally plug in ANY tube you can get your hands on. So...chances of finding a used NOS tube in a parts bin is likely.

I would be looking for shops that have used tubes for sale, or repair guys that have tubes they have pulled out of amps they repair.

Used tubes should cost around a buck or so. Buy bunches and have fun trying.

I tried one at one point, and I wasn't too impressed with the basic sound.

However, I don't know what tubes or speaker it came with stock, and if I had a chance, I would try ANYTHING I could get my hands on.

For example, it only uses one power tube. That means, no need to look for matched tubes, and you can literally plug in ANY tube you can get your hands on. So...chances of finding a used NOS tube in a parts bin is likely.

I would be looking for shops that have used tubes for sale, or repair guys that have tubes they have pulled out of amps they repair.

Used tubes should cost around a buck or so. Buy bunches and have fun trying.

Thank you sir, what shops would that be? like electronics shops?

Thank you sir, what shops would that be? like electronics shops?

A shop or person that specializes in repairing guitar amps.

Sometimes, a guitar shop will have a repair guy as well.

If you don't know of any, it's a good oppurtunity to find them in your area. That way, you know where to go and get the COOL stuff.

EDIT: as I pressed the post replay button, it occured to me it might sound like I was implying your amp wasn't "cool". Not what I meant. I meant that local shops usually have the coolest stuff.

A shop or person that specializes in repairing guitar amps.

Sometimes, a guitar shop will have a repair guy as well.

If you don't know of any, it's a good oppurtunity to find them in your area. That way, you know where to go and get the COOL stuff.

EDIT: as I pressed the post replay button, it occured to me it might sound like I was implying your amp wasn't "cool". Not what I meant. I meant that local shops usually have the coolest stuff.

Thanks Stein, It is probably about time, after a year and a half, to find these places in my area. I have googled it but not much came up, so I will have to go out and start asking. Thanks for suggesting used tubes, I didn't know about those.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived