Gibson Brands Forums

1959 ES-335 Dot Reissue vs. Custom Shop ES-335 Dot

Gmjohnson

All,

I am looking to purchase either a 1959 ES-335 Dot Reissue or a Custom Shop ES-335 Dot Figured Gloss. Besides the limited quantity of 250 instruments, Bumble Bee capacitors, extended neck pocket, and plain top associated with the 1959 Reissue, are their any other compelling reasons to justify the additional money for the 1959 Reissue?

Any additional insight is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Greg

All,

I am looking to purchase either a 1959 ES-335 Dot Reissue or a Custom Shop ES-335 Dot Figured Gloss. Besides the limited quantity of 250 instruments, Bumble Bee capacitors, extended neck pocket, and plain top associated with the 1959 Reissue, are their any other compelling reasons to justify the additional money for the 1959 Reissue?

Any additional insight is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Greg

Depends on whether the '59 dot re-issue is a Nashville or Memphis guitar. The Nashville guitars bring a premium of $1500 or more in new price. Some think the build and finish detailing make it worth the extra money. I did, and bought a Nashville-built '59 Historic ES 335, which may or may not be the same as the '59 dot re-issue. If it doesn't say "Nashville" on the label, it's Memphis-built, and it's not a Historic.

Depends on whether the '59 dot re-issue is a Nashville or Memphis guitar. The Nashville guitars bring a premium of $1500 or more in new price. Some think the build and finish detailing make it worth the extra money. I did, and bought a Nashville-built '59 Historic ES 335, which may or may not be the same as the '59 dot re-issue. If it doesn't say "Nashville" on the label, it's Memphis-built, and it's not a Historic.

I own a '59 reissue but its a Memphis. Mine is really great,. It has got a pretty chunky neck. Some ppl prolly don't like that but cos I mostly play arch tops I love it. Tbh I've got lots of Gibsons but this stands out as one of the best guitars I own. I couldn't recommend it highly enough. The fat necks, I reckon give you lots of sustain and this one has a big fat sound.

7ac0dccd.png

Archived