Gibson Brands Forums

A J-50 & Two Fingers = Perfection

zombywoof

If you dwell on it a few moments, it's really quite remarkable the blues took off, I mean these fella's, despite a bit of local notoriety, despite probably earning a wee bit more than some other fellas of the time in less profitable work, well they just couldn't seem to find a faithful woman. Were all the ladies they fraternised with really such harlots or were libidos so much more potent?

Arguably divorce is at an all time high, so it would suggest it was a more prevalent problem these days for both sexes. There's definitely a much more obvious sexualisation in media, in clothing, certainly in bars while your out trying your best lines to get hold of an evenings entertainment, yet these songbirds just couldn't hold on to one, were they all terrible in bed or were the juke joint ladies just total flesh consumers and carnal vampires? If they were I'll have to change my first point of call when I get my time machine, I'd like to try a couple of these saucy minxes out.

I wonder if people of the time took note though, thought to themselves look at lightning, everyone knows him, he can get the ladies quite easy but he just can't hold on to one of those cheating devils, he better be careful or that thing will fall off... or he'll wake up screaming with a whole lot of Mississippi John Hurt going on in his southern peninsula.

East there, PM, might want switch over to the de-caf for the rest of the day. I just think the Honky Tonk Women, Fat-Bottomed Girls, Devils with the Blue Dresses on, Witchy Women (sic), etc., get more attention than the Sweet Adeline's of the world.

Btw, the Carnal Vampires put on a helluva live show.

The juke joint ladies of the 30s in the delta don't seem any different than the honkie tonk juke box angels of the deep south 50s and 60s. Or the torch singers of the 40s and 50s. Or some of the hippie girls of my youth. Lovin' liein' and leavin' ... always great fodder for singers.

Archived