Gibson Brands Forums

Sunburst Elitist Byrdland on eBay

vaxxine

I bought my sunburst Byrdland from Elderly.com out of concern that they might be discontinued. I think I may have bought the last one produced. I think they were discontinued while mine was in the mail. I am humbled by the quality and craftsmanship of the Elitist Byrdland. There are innumerable variations of the Les Paul. Rather than making myriad Les Pauls and myriad Strats, how about making DIFFERENT models? I have three Les Pauls (1 Heritage, 2 Agile). That is too much redundancy for me. Marketing is not my field, but my gut tells me that one great Les Paul in different finishes makes the brand seem better than a bunch of Les Paul models in limited finishes...and no Byrdland.

...There are innumerable variations of the Les Paul. Rather than making myriad Les Pauls and myriad Strats, how about making DIFFERENT models? ...Marketing is not my field, but my gut tells me that one great Les Paul in different finishes makes the brand seem better than a bunch of Les Paul models in limited finishes...and no Byrdland.

Absolutely agree!

Rather than making myriad Les Pauls and myriad Strats, how about making DIFFERENT models? I have three Les Pauls (1 Heritage, 2 Agile). That is too much redundancy for me. Marketing is not my field, but my gut tells me that one great Les Paul in different finishes makes the brand seem better than a bunch of Les Paul models in limited finishes...and no Byrdland.

I may be wrong here, but every new model or significant variation on an existing model has failed to sell, so I understand Gibson being hesitant to play the new model game. I have an XPL and Blueshawk, which are two of my faves, neither caught on. My Fender Showmaster set neck "strat like" also failed miserably. There are many other "float a balloon" models that failed, so WE ask for Les Pauls, Strats and that's I'm afraid what they make.

I may be wrong here, but every new model or significant variation on an existing model has failed to sell, so I understand Gibson being hesitant to play the new model game. I have an XPL and Blueshawk, which are two of my faves, neither caught on. My Fender Showmaster set neck "strat like" also failed miserably. There are many other "float a balloon" models that failed, so WE ask for Les Pauls, Strats and that's I'm afraid what they make.

That's what I mean by my not knowing about marketing. If the public IS truly wanting Epiphone to make more Les Paul models, then they're doing the right thing. Having a spruce top does make the Byrdland more difficult to manufacture than a plywood maple top, so the cost (and price) are higher.

I think I saw that this guitar sold for $2,100, which is a nice price for a sunburst Byrdland. It's just that, if I'm going to spend the money, I'm going to go $2,800 or so for a Gibson 350T.

The 350T would be high on my list too. Same body as the Byrdland but with a 25.5" scale. You make a good point : if you have to spend $2100 or so for an Epi Byrdland, you don't have to go that much further to get a genuine ES-350.

An ES-350T with a 24.5 - 24.75" scale would be ideal for me (if they existed).

Archived