Gibson Brands Forums

What milod taught me

Izzy

If you were one of those that did so I think you are incredibly stupid.

I have also learned that actually stating your honest opinion is frowned upon as well.

I think these are your two main problems. People generally don't react well to being called stupid, especially in the situation you stated, since sarcasm isn't easy to express via text. They would have a valid reason.

And as far as opinions go...generally, opinions that are unpopular or offensive will draw in the vultures. Referencing my first point, your opinions have a tendency to put people down, calling them "stupid for believing this" or "idiots for believing that". There's this wonderful word called "misinformed". I suggest you Google it. You may find it yields a much less negative response (not necessarily a positive response).

In addition, when it comes to the Internet, you have to know when to fold. You can't win every battle, you don't know everything. Neither do I. Neither does anybody here. I'm just choosing to use common sense.

Oh common sense.

Why don't people use you more often.

-Ryan

If you've got less than a couple thousand posts on this board, chances are you don't know what this board was like early on. I've been called a liar, an idiot and a fool, arrogant and conceited. Thing is, I'm probably all of those things. I can be a kid or an old fogey. Makes for an interesting place. Fact is, the board is probably as tame now as I've ever seen it, and I'm sure the mods prefer it that way.

Certainly the forum is a wealth of information for guitar players of all levels. As a newer player of almost two years now I have learned so much by being here. Pedals for one, how to use, when to use, what order they should go in. Amplifiers, tube vs solid state. So many things can be answered here, this place is really a wealth of information.

I as well have had the pleasure of Milo's help. For me it was with fingerpicking. Something I was pretty hesitant to get too into because I didn't really like it. I don't usually like things I stink at. Lol He gave me some great advice on technique and suggested a few books that have become very helpful. I've also learned a lot about Alzeda's annual Cowboy gathering and the geo center, Belle Fourche, SD! Very interesting stuff. I'm sure if I was fortunate enough to sit for an evening with Milo I would be educated on many interesting facts of life. msp_thumbup.gif Thank you Bday buddy!

I don't think I can say anyone here has taught me any valuable life lessons.

I'm 51. I've done alot of life learning. I'm set in my ways and I'm happy in my skin.

Forums are generally no different than any other social environment, less the ambiguity element of course. But for the most part it seems folks here behave themselves and when they don't they are either teamed up on or modded off.

Opinions are like a$$holes. Everyone has one. So that should be no surprise to anyone.

If you don't like an opinion, you are free to state your own.

So other than life lessons, I have learned mostly technical stuff here. And is why I bothered coming here in the first place. I have plenty of friends. I don't need the internet for that.

But I do find this place interesting. It's a little community of very different, and sometimes very strange people.

It's kinda addicting. I don't know why, but I keep coming back to check in.

Jax...

Definitely where you wanna drink - as in upstream of the herd but...

Squatting with spurs ain't the problem unless you've got a lot bigger rowels and/or a lot bigger butt than most riders I know. On the other hand... kneeling can be problematic.

Then I s'pose you might suggest taking care on your dally 'cuz you can lose body parts if you don't. That supposedly has to do with ropers, but in metaphor... I think it has a lot to do with other stuff. The old song "Windy Bill" kinda explains it, albeit it may take a bit to catch on to the cowboy jargon that pokes fun at Texas type ropers who'd tie hard 'n' fast 'stedda takin' their dally. There's a bunch of different versions of lyric to the song, but it's pretty much similar moral to the story - again, in metaphor as well as reality.

Or, keep the bit warm in cold weather before you try to stuff it into some unsuspecting horse's mouth. The relationship with your partner will be a lot easier. That makes for a pretty good metaphor, too.

Yeah, CindyC and I share a birthday - but not the birth year. Heck she's young enough to be my daughter - or at least most certainly looks it. <grin>

Oh, the girl on the left in this pix is Courtney Peterson, 2012 Miss Rodeo SD. She's a good roper and as you can see, is plenty careful on takin' a dally. (i.e., she has all her fingers and both thumbs.) So's her follow-up act Kristina Maddox at right who takes over as Miss Rodeo SD for 2013. The sprout in the middle is one of the country's top Jr. High and Little Britches Rodeo bull riders - when he isn't recovering for another broken bone or two. TJ Schmidt does have a bit of a bull rider smirk, eh? They were at the NFR Sendoff party here Saturday night. So were local barrel racers Lisa Lockhart and Nikki Steffes, if you like watching cute girls and super horses at the NFR on TV. Okay, there were some saddle bronc and bull riders there too. <chortle>

m

I love western culture, we share that Milod, an appreciation for the simplicity of it, and respect for the complexity of the rites of passage, seems that is what is lost in today's do it fast don't savor the taste life..We grew up in a time of fossils, we knew them, soon we'll be one ourselves.

Milod has showed me that you can be honest but also be humbled and ready to keep the discussion going if you may be a bit off in a point or two. If there's room for more discussion then do it if not you can just read or ignore goofy or silly remark's and find other area's of the topic that you can work with. [thumbup]

I'm only 49 but have seen/done lot's but not as much as the guy's and gal's who got there start before me or have been more active than me so I can only say that much with out being corrected myself. [blush]

If you've got less than a couple thousand posts on this board, chances are you don't know what this board was like early on. I've been called a liar, an idiot and a fool, arrogant and conceited. Thing is, I'm probably all of those things. I can be a kid or an old fogey. Makes for an interesting place. Fact is, the board is probably as tame now as I've ever seen it, and I'm sure the mods prefer it that way.

I don't care what anyone calls you. Anyone with a "Fear and Loathing" avatar is OK in my books...lol

I have also learned that actually stating your honest opinion is frowned upon as well.

Oh one other thing.... too, to, and two are three diferent words and their, there, and they're are three words as well. That is something some of you should learn on this forum.

Need I remind you we have ESL (English second language) forum members? This is just the sort of pedantic poo that makes people feel sorry for flamers and trolls. The Lounge is one of the friendliest forums I've ever had the pleasure of belonging to and part of the reason is we don't tear people down for being less than perfect. Some of us may have gotten a less than average education. Because this isn't a university course forum, it is hardly shameful when our members just want to state their opinions and don't have the necessary grammatical tools to do so or milod's erudition. Be happy you know what you know and be less judgmental.

I have seen your posts get flamed and frowned upon it quietly. I am sure you got your big boy pants on and don't need people to "stick up for you," so I just move on when that happens. I have only ever used the little plus signs (to say I like videos) and never the minus signs. I mean, who actually looks at those stupid plus/minus signs? To say that forums members frown upon honesty is just silly. If an opinion is delivered with finesse, I assure you it will be well received, even if the opinion isn't understood or popular.

milod is right, sarcasm isn't something easily translated into written media. We need sarcasm font.

Need I remind you we have ESL (English second language) forum members? This is just the sort of pedantic poo that makes people feel sorry for flamers and trolls. The Lounge is one of the friendliest forums I've ever had the pleasure of belonging to and part of the reason is we don't tear people down for being less than perfect. Some of us may have gotten a less than average education. Because this isn't a university course forum, it is hardly shameful when our members just want to state their opinions and don't have the necessary grammatical tools to do so or milod's erudition. Be happy you know what you know and be less judgmental.

I have seen your posts get flamed and frowned upon it quietly. I am sure you got your big boy pants on and don't need people to "stick up for you," so I just move on when that happens. I have only ever used the little plus signs (to say I like videos) and never the minus signs. I mean, who actually looks at those stupid plus/minus signs? To say that forums members frown upon honesty is just silly. If an opinion is delivered with finesse, I assure you it will be well received, even if the opinion isn't understood or popular.

milod is right, sarcasm isn't something easily translated into written media. We need sarcasm font.

Your points are well taken.

- we always have to remember that what we speak, and what we write, are not the same. I use a lot of the same sardonic speech patterns you're talking about in "daily life" face to face. But I work hard not to do so in writing. Sometimes I succeed.

m

Lol,, no worries and all due respect.

But I do believe Milod said it first and may be why Izzy said that.

I know he likes to ramble on,, but more often than not, he's right.

And on this one I believe you both agree that sarcasm/sardonic speech pattern,,, do not translate well into writing/text.

Lol,, no worries and all due respect.

But I do believe Milod said it first and may be why Izzy said that.

I know he likes to ramble on,, but more often than not, he's right.

And on this one I believe you both agree that sarcasm/sardonic speech pattern,,, do not translate well into writing/text.

A failure on my part, I apologize. I'll go and edit that post to reflect it.

-Ryan

Archived