Gibson Brands Forums

R Gibson/Kramers the Best SuperStrats?

LeoPaul422

I'm partial to Charvel...I mean they Started the "Superstrat" craze. They're Fenders with Humbuckers and Floyd's. Even the Japanese-built "Pro-Mod" range (which has been discontinued because the factory shut down) was an Amazing value, on-par with the American-made Fenders, if not superior. Amazing necks, Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan pickups, Original Floyd's and simple control layouts...just great Superstrats.

I'm partial to Charvel...I mean they Started the "Superstrat" craze. They're Fenders with Humbuckers and Floyd's. Even the Japanese-built "Pro-Mod" range (which has been discontinued because the factory shut down) was an Amazing value, on-par with the American-made Fenders, if not superior. Amazing necks, Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan pickups, Original Floyd's and simple control layouts...just great Superstrats.

Never liked the Strat body, not on Charvels or Kramers. My favorite SuperStrats were made by Kramer in the late 80s when they stopped slapping necks on Strat bodies and by Gibson/Kramer with the 422s.

Can't stand the pointier designs of modern Superstrats. A regular Strat body looks good and works well in Every style, while something like a Kramer...just wouldn't look right in a Country or Blues band, for example. The original Strat fits right in with any style, depending on body/neck woods, pickups, bridge and such.

-Ryan

Can't stand the pointier designs of modern Superstrats. A regular Strat body looks good and works well in Every style, while something like a Kramer...just wouldn't look right in a Country or Blues band, for example. The original Strat fits right in with any style, depending on body/neck woods, pickups, bridge and such.

-Ryan

I really like the pointy headstock on my Kramer Showster. Banana headstock, not so much. In fact, I thought about cutting my 422 headstocks to a point, but why bother. The main thing is tone and playability and the late 80s Kramers and the 422s have that in spades.

-Ryan

Btw, Johnny Cash's guitar player, Bob Wootton, played a Kramer. Actually the Kramer Showster is excellent for country licks.

Btw, Johnny Cash's guitar player, Bob Wootton, played a Kramer. Actually the Kramer Showster is excellent for country licks.

Never said it couldn't Do country. I'm saying aesthetically, it doesn't fit. Any guitar can be used in any genre of music.

-Ryan

Never said it couldn't Do country. I'm saying aesthetically, it doesn't fit. Any guitar can be used in any genre of music.

-Ryan

Modern country players use a lot of guitars that weren't heretofore associated with country, but I also naturally associate the Telecaster to country music. When I produce a country song, I generally use a Telecaster and or a 335.

• 3 months later...

Modern country players use a lot of guitars that weren't heretofore associated with country, but I also naturally associate the Telecaster to country music. When I produce a country song, I generally use a Telecaster and or a 335.

Modern country isn't really country music. When I think of country music I think of Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Waylon, etc.

In many respects today's country is closer to 80's pop metal.

Lots of county bands rocking Les Pauls nowadays.

• 1 month later...

Archived