Gibson Brands Forums

Standard vs custom shop.

LarryUK

Guest Farnsbarns

I have had both, my R8 feels and sounds better to me than the standard did. That was a peach of on 02 standard too, had 2 interested parties when I sold it and got £2400 for it. The action is a fair bit lower and the sound a fair bit tighter and the subtle, shimmering harmonics are more pronounced meaning more touch control of tone.

I would say though, that for a beginner the R8's harmonics might be hard to control, accidental pinch harmonics would ring all too easily I think.

I have 3 Gibsons from the USA line and my R8 and the R8 is definitely a different breed, like farns says the action is lower and mine holds tunning and weather changes better, the fret work and frets are better too. The guitar simply feels much nicer on my hands and the weight and sustain are great.

I am presonally not too crzary about the Burstbucker 2 and 3 set mainly because of the loose bass notes that inevitably then get muddy with gain.

Let's be honest, we like Custom Shop mainly because we have the feel of having something unique. But even if I owned a Custom as well, let me just reminds everyone, that Hendrix was playing std strat, that the Les Paul of Peter Green was a Std as well, so it is true that the way they are build is different but who knows perhaps in 20 years someone will become famous with his guitar, and it could be standard one ;)

Playability is not for sure the a factor to go for a Custom rather than a std. IMHO

As far as Peter Green's LP goes; sure, it was a Standard - but it was a 1959 Standard and, by definition, one of the greatest guitars ever sent down to Earth from Mount Olympus(*).

And regular USA vs Historic Division?

I've two of each and, although I don't buy in to marketing b'sht and am a huge sceptic by nature, I have to say I agree that there is something about the latter which marks them out as special.

My two USA Pauls are early '90s 1960 Classics which are generally considered (and rightly so) to be close in quality to the Re-issues of the time but still the R-Is have a certain intangible edge to them.

* even although it was (apparently) a complete b!tch to play...

P.

Let's be honest, we like Custom Shop mainly because we have the feel of having something unique.

Frankly I completely disagree, there are tons of historics, re-issues, custom shop guitars. The market is flooded. I am not sure how they can be called unique.

The only historics I would call unique are special limited runs and even then they are simply versions of the same thing.

Here in the States can buy a used R8 for less than a new USA LP.

In my case, when I was looking to buy a brand new LP Tim (R9) strongly suggested I looked into a used R8 and I am glad I did. Bought it brand new at a discounted price and I am really happy with it.

How can the frets be better on the custom shop. The normal standard is plek'd so should be perfect. Are the custom shop guitars plek'd or hand finished.

Not sure but plek makes guitars come out of the factory with a better setup, not a perfect setup. My SG was plek'd and it had a string buzz, I took it to the Gibson Restoration Center and they fixed it.

I suspect sometimes Nashville bridges do not have the saddles notched properly in a way that the 12 degree radius is achieved, all of my USA guitars tend to buzz in the lower frets, middle strings.

Fret wire and size is different on historics by the way.

Guest Farnsbarns

Not sure but plek makes guitars come out of the factory with a better setup, not a perfect setup. My SG was plek'd and it had a string buzz, I took it to the Gibson Restoration Center and they fixed it.

I suspect sometimes Nashville bridges do not have the saddles notched properly in a way that the 12 degree radius is achieved, all of my USA guitars tend to buzz in the lower frets, middle strings.

Fret wire and size is different on historics by the way.

In my opinion it does neither, just the cheapest way to dress frets.

lphead2.png

As a matter of interest. I was looking on Ebay and saw this 'classic'. This pic of the head shows a dreadfully cut nut. Look how the strings don't even sit in it and how it's cut straight and not at the angle of the string line to heads. It's a 96 so it was before plek. How could this get passed?

Archived