Gibson Brands Forums

Hot Cake, Timmy, Wampler Black 65 ?

Andrew Riggs

I just got an ac15 last week and I have to ask how you're setting it because I don't really see why you'd need an OD pedal with that amp for your genre.

Plug into the top boost channel, turn your preamp and master volumes all the way up, and use your guitar's volume knob and pick attack to control the level of dirt. For the "smooth blues lead" sound you've been asking about, use this same amp setting with the neck pickup of your Tele and the tone control rolled off a bit.

I just got an ac15 last week and I have to ask how you're setting it because I don't really see why you'd need an OD pedal with that amp for your genre.

Plug into the top boost channel, turn your preamp and master volumes all the way up, and use your guitar's volume knob and pick attack to control the level of dirt. For the "smooth blues lead" sound you've been asking about, use this same amp setting with the neck pickup of your Tele and the tone control rolled off a bit.

I don't have the 2nd channel on mine. Iv'e decided to get a timmy it overdrives my clean tone not change it and distort it. And we can get pretty rocky with some of the songs we play.

Weird. What model ac15 do you have? The one I got is a beast and unless you're playing some kind of metal it has plenty of crunch and sustain on its own.

The Timmy will be good for that if you switch out the clipping diodes. I was going to suggest you just get a simple clean boost, which wouldn't really give you more volume but just push your tubes harder once you've reached your amp's ceiling for headroom (which isn't very high on an ac15).

Are you able to turn the preamp and master volumes all the way up with your band or is that too loud? We have the luxury of running ours dimed in my band and I can tell you the ac15 is a beast no need for an overdrive if you can crank it

Archived