Gibson Brands Forums

Locking tuners for LP Classic Custom?

Fleece

I put Planet Waves auto-trim tuners on my Midtown Custom and am only mildly happy with them. I'm thinking Sperzels or Grovers would be a step up. My overriding priority is that they be drop-in replacements that won't require drilling. Auto-trim would be nice but not necessary.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hello Fleece!

As far as the reviews are credible, these are direct replacements: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Tuners/Grover_Full-size_Locking_Tuning_Machines.html

However, one of the reviewers says: "The tuners perform great. Would love them, but they come way to high out of the Gibson headstock. The cover photo on the Stewmac site is kind of misleading. Do check the specs before buying!"

Check the specs before buying.

Cheers... Bence

I have the Midtown custom as well and plan on locking tuners. Looked into planet waves and was not impressed. I would go with the Grover 502C Locking Rotomatic Tuners. No drilling? Pretty sure they will drop in with no drilling. Look on ebay they are sell for around 70 bucks.

I also have a LP that I put HIPSHOT open back locking tuners. The LP had the old style two hole tuners and the HS did not line up at all. So close to the other hole I had to fill the hole with wood shavings with glue then drilled the new hole. All came out great and they are very nice tuners but dont want to do that to the MT.

Sperzels are very nice as well but you will have to drill most any guitar to intall them.

Both Sperzel and Hipshot are made in USA. Grover not sure dont think so, not german but I think Asian, but they are great tuners.... I am no expert this is just what little I know and feel free to check out my info i might be wrong, I am getting old... [tongue]

Hello Fleece!

As far as the reviews are credible, these are direct replacements: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Tuners/Grover_Full-size_Locking_Tuning_Machines.html

However, one of the reviewers says: "The tuners perform great. Would love them, but they come way to high out of the Gibson headstock. The cover photo on the Stewmac site is kind of misleading. Do check the specs before buying!"

Cheers... Bence

Great web site!!! Fare price on those. AmplifiedParts on ebay got for 57.75 free shipping, they also got the other locking ones.

Hello Fleece!

Cheers... Bence

Thanks Bence, I'll check 'em out!

I have the Midtown custom as well and plan on locking tuners. Looked into planet waves and was not impressed. I would go with the Grover 502C Locking Rotomatic Tuners. No drilling? Pretty sure they will drop in with no drilling. Look on ebay they are sell for around 70 bucks.

I also have a LP that I put HIPSHOT open back locking tuners. The LP had the old style two hole tuners and the HS did not line up at all. So close to the other hole I had to fill the hole with wood shavings with glue then drilled the new hole. All came out great and they are very nice tuners but dont want to do that to the MT.

Sperzels are very nice as well but you will have to drill most any guitar to intall them.

Both Sperzel and Hipshot are made in USA. Grover not sure dont think so, not german but I think Asian, but they are great tuners.... I am no expert this is just what little I know and feel free to check out my info i might be wrong, I am getting old... [tongue]

Thanks Voxman, those Grovers do look like they would drop right in. I have Sperzels on another guitar and love them, but I can't bring myself to drill my new axe. Thanks for the help!

Archived