Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a real or counterfiet Gibson Les Paul?

desertbluesman

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm going to brazenly say what I'm thinking...

I think it's fake and I think it's nowhere near 20+ years old and I'm struggling with the ding in the head stock story.

If I am wrong, and I could be, I'll hold up my hands and say so but for now, this is a fishy tale.

I think it's fake and I think it's nowhere near 20+ years old and I'm struggling with the ding in the head stock story.

If I am wrong, and I could be, I'll hold up my hands and say so but for now, this is a fishy tale.

It is good to be honest, and truthfully speaking, what would I have to gain by putting myself out there for your scrutiny since I have already successfully sold the instrument. I have nothing at all to gain from this effort. I have had the guitar since the mid to late 1980's, and to be sure I bought it legitimately at that time from a reputable music store. I know there are a lot of crooks out there, and there is no way to prove that I am not one of them except by using reason. Reason should tell you that; if the thread starter is accurate I am doing this for a selfless purpose. I really do not have anything to gain or lose by your honest responses.

However that said I would like anyone who knows Gibson's to verify it's authenticity if they think it is authentic, or call it a counterfeit if they think it is so.

If not, I would ask the administrators to delete my posts regarding this instrument if they think I am being fraudulent.

I just sold my 80's Les Paul Custom to a guy, and the next day he came back at me with "his friend" in Chicago a guitar tech said it was a counterfeit Gibson. Now the story behind the guitar is; I bought it used at Sunset Music in Cherry Hill NJ in the mid 1980's At that time it had a huge ding in the back of the headstock so I asked the guitar tech at Sunset music to refret it (I never liked the "fretless wonder" feel of the low frets) and put in some Duncan Distortions to replace the gold plated stock 80's pups, and while he was at it he should also put a nice inlay back there to hide the big ding (and he did such a crappy job on the inlay I had to hide it with that flag sticker). Since it could no longer be authenticated (because of my own shortsightedness at that time) through a serial number It lost much of it's value, so I sold it for cheap a few days ago. I told him that I would try and authenticate it somehow and that is why I joined this forum.

Now when the guy left my house as per agreement the guitar was his no matter what. No returns since I wanted to use that money for new gear (of course). However in light of his plight I offered to try and find out the truth. Also at one time my son had possession of this Les Paul and he took it to Chris Scott the Gibson go to guy (luthier) in the Philly area for repairs/tune up and Chris authenticated it as a true Gibson. If I found out that the guitar was a fake I was willing to send him back a good portion of the money he paid. The guy who bought it (for pretty cheap I might add) Told me that he was not interested in a refund or return as the guitar whether real or fake is a very nice instrument and he did not believe that I was at fault, nor did he have a grudge or any anger at me, and not to bother trying to authenticate it.

However I do want to try and find out what I can about this guitar for my own peace of mind (and if we can authenticate it) I will send him the results if we think collectively it is a true Gibson.

Thanks for your help in this matter

dbm

Looks fake to me, headstock doesn't look quite right nor does the control cavity cover. I'm not an expert by any means, but if it were me, i wouldn't be handing over high dollars for it.

Man I gotta agree with you this guitar would have a little more wear on the back, fishy yes,I'm still gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

Looks pretty real, the inlay on the back of the headstock

covering the serial no would make me weary.

The truss rod cover looks authentic

To me it looks legit, well wait to see what the good folks here have to say

If I only knew then, what I know now. I was a hippy musician back in those days (or should I say daze) and much of the time I had a chemically altered consciousness back then. I am 70 years old, and of course much wiser these days (I should hope). The inlay on the headstock is why I let it go for half it's worth. I am totally at fault for not thinking clearly back then, but it is all water under the bridge.

Man I gotta agree with you this guitar would have a little more wear on the back, fishy yes,I'm still gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

The guitar was used rarely, My son had it for most of the time I owned it and he is a Telecaster type player and he never used it. But if you look closely it has lots of belt rash on it from the times I used it, and the times before. No excuses though it is what it is.

Looks fake to me, headstock doesn't look quite right nor does the control cavity cover. I'm not an expert by any means, but if it were me, i wouldn't be handing over high dollars for it.

And the guy who bought it didn't pay big bucks. If his guitar tech is correct he valued the instrument at $450-$500 if fake, but I also had $600 in upgrades back in 80's dollars (refret/pickup acquisition and labor to change them, all still in the guitar), and the guy paid me about those two figures to acquire this instrument. For playability and tone I would stack this guitar up against any guitar real or fake, and he chose to keep it because of it's neck and tone. His guitar tech also had a look inside the control cavity and it has the metal parts to cover the innards and he thought they were authentic. I had the pots changed when I had the guy change the pups.

How about removing the pickups and take pictures inside the cavity, could help

Indeed.....the headstock looks weird to me...the gibson logo also looks odd, specialy the " S "..I am no expert and perhaps the mention of the word fake has planted the impression in my brain and I am grasping here.

There are about 4 different versions of the "Gibson" headstock logo, and this one looks consistant with what the guitar is supposed to be.

Also, the bridge, case, knob locations and tuners all match. No surprises there.

I would say from the photos, it is likely an early 80's LPC. The photos aren't actually good enough to see the top carve, neck carve shape, or the hardware clearly. And of corse, seeing the control cavities and the pup cavities would help also to see the construction.

I might add, that for a copy of this era, it would be rare to have the right tuners, bridge, case, and color all correct for a guitar of this era. That bridge and the tuners are rare themselves.

Looking at it it looked real to me. Now I play primarily PRS guitars so I could be wrong about this. The whole fishy looking S in GIBSON looks like other logos of the same suspected era that the guy starting this thread claims to have bought it from. If it has little wear and spent most of it's life in a hardcase the little wear makes sense.

I think he is being honest, and if a guy at Gibson has authenticated it I think it is real unless the people there don't know what they are talking about. I do believe this is real.

Here are some pics I found when I googled 1980 Gibson Les Paul Headstock:

headstock.jpg

Gibson%20Les%20Paul%20CUstom%201980%203pu%20pot%2011-1980%20005.jpg

headstock-front_jpg.jpg

Thanks friends. I no longer have the instrument, so I cannot remove pickups, or enter the control cavity. I sold the guitar to someone who had a friend who is a luthier in Chicago who thought it was counterfeit, and he got back to me the next day with that friends opinion as a fake. We had the guitar to the late Chris Scott luthier and he was a Gibson go to guy in Philly area for warantee repairs and he thought it was genuine. This was when my son had possession of the guitar about 15 years ago. I just wanted to see what folks who know Gibson's and especially Les Paul Customs thought. And if the consensus was that it is real I will get back to him with your responses so he feels a little better about his purchase, now the guy got a nice Les Paul Custom for cheap, and I got my money back and between me and my son we used the guitar off and on since the late 80's. Everybody wins, no bad karma. All is well.........

Those tuning pegs must have been pretty cool when stringing the guitar.

Well the desert blues man, there you have it. Tis the real deal, just out of curiosity how much

did you let it go for?

Eleven hundred bucks. Not a bad deal for him, and I got most of my money back as well. Of course back then a Les Paul Custom sold for eight hundred bucks or so. I remember seeing the 25th anniversary model in a music store for around that @ street price. I paid less for the one above because it was used and had some damage in the paint etc. Plus the store owner was and still is a good friend of mine.

A similar early 80's guitar without original pups and no damage sells for about $1,800 around here, an all original about $2,400 or so. I have a room full of guitars including another Gibson, a 2003 Faded SG which by the way is the very best instrument I have ever owned for neck true-ness it ain't pretty but I have never owned a guitar so true, not a single high or low fret, no strange over/under tones, nada, perfect, plus it stays in tune almost better than any other guitar I have ever owned. The pups are a little brighter than the Paul but close enough for the blues. (plus it is tons lighter than the Paul on my old bones).

Archived