Gibson Brands Forums

My new LP Classic Custom poses quite a dilemma..

Fleece

My ebony LPCC arrived this morning, and it's just beautiful. Everything is flawless, the action is nice and low...even the intonation was (almost) perfect. The fretboard is so dark that it could be almost confused for ebony. And it arrived much better set up than my ebony Midtown Custom, which I had to take to my luthier right out of the gate.

And it plays great, too. Frets are a nice height and level, the high E is a more reasonable distance from the edge of the fretboard than my Midtown, and the '57 Classics are sweet.

So what's the problem, you might ask?

It is so strikingly similar to my Midtown Custom, that after hours of comparison, I'm at a loss as to which I prefer. Frankly, I find that the only really striking differences are the weight and ergonomics. And the Midtown wins on both those fronts.

I think I expected the LPCC to be noticeably superior to the MC, and that I would keep the former and sell the latter. But I'm now faced with a something of a dilemma.

I have noticed things that I prefer in the LPCC: the neck seems ever so slightly thicker and more solidly connected to the body (even resting my hand on the MC's neck will cause it to go slightly out of tune). The LPCC clearly puts out more volume, and might have slightly better sustain and thicker bass. And its high E string doesn't sit quite so precariously close to the edge of the fretboard, as it does on my MC, which is a small but significant point. The LPCC seems a bit brighter and therefore a little more articulate on a clean channel, but the neck pickups on both strike me as muddy(?) as I travel up the neck.

The MC has the advantages that A.) I've already bonded with it, B.) it's 2 lbs lighter and I prefer its ergonomics, and C.) it sounds warmer to my ears.

They're both strikingly similar aesthetically, but the Les Paul certainly has that iconic look.

I suppose I could keep both, but they seem duplicative. I'll stop rambling here, but I think I just need a sanity check -- am I crazy for contemplating sending back the LP (which was a steal at $1,500 brand new)?

Addendum:

I have literally stayed up all night with a bottle of chilled Vodka, determined to get to the bottom of this. As of 4:45am I remain convinced that the two guitars are sufficiently similar that keeping both of them would be somewhat absurd.

I have also come to the conclusion that they are sufficiently different, such that I cannot possibly choose which one to keep and which to "throw back into the ocean," as it were. Furthermore, I have begun to bond with the LPCC, and have come to better appreciate its strengths, and have come to realize that I cannot part with it.

I've always felt that my growing stable of guitars should be complementary, and represent a wide variety. I'm hereby making an exception, and am now the proud owner of fraternal twin Gibsons, both of which are spectacular.

9B8pP.jpg

OK first ramble all you want dude!!! Second YA KEEP BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You say that they are so close but then go into great detail pointing the sutil differants. That was a great way you decribed the two, I dug it!!!

Not sure what pick-ups u got in the LP. But I have a LP also and love both. My LP has the 490R/498T and the 50's neck, the MT has the 60's style and I lovem both....

I say the drinks help clear your mind... the more you play the LP the warmer the wood will warm up... :rolleyes:

Hey maybe the LP in a sunburst???? Man I got to get a Ebony AX back in the heard!!!!!

Thinking of a SG for after Xmas [drool]

OK first ramble all you want dude!!! Second YA KEEP BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You say that they are so close but then go into great detail pointing the sutil differants. That was a great way you decribed the two, I dug it!!!

Not sure what pick-ups u got in the LP. But I have a LP also and love both. My LP has the 490R/498T and the 50's neck, the MT has the 60's style and I lovem both....

I say the drinks help clear your mind... the more you play the LP the warmer the wood will warm up... :rolleyes:

Hey maybe the LP in a sunburst???? Man I got to get a Ebony AX back in the heard!!!!!

Thinking of a SG for after Xmas [drool]

Hahahaa. Thanks bruthah, I needed that. I just got off the phone with zzounds.com. I told them that I was thinking of returning it, but if they matched the price that musiciansfriend.com was showing ($1,599) - 15% = $1359, I would consider keeping it. After a minute on hold, they agreed. With just a few dollars, zzounds has retained my long-standing business, and pretty much forced me to keep this duplicative -- yet unreservedly impeccable -- bit of Gibson lore.

At $1,359, no one in their right mind would/should pass it up. I need to work on my color appreciation perhaps, but having these two remarkable instruments in my arsenal...it's perhaps only fitting that they be fraternal twins.

P.S. I'm positively hammered, and couldn't be happier right now.

even resting my hand on the MC's neck will cause it to go slightly out of tune.

Hi Fleece,

Great report on the similarities between the LPCC and Midtown Custom. I'd also love to hear how the Midtown Custom sounds compared to an ES-335.

Fortunately, I haven't had the tuning problem you mention with my Midtown Custom. I've actually been pleasantly surprised with how well it stays in tune, even after lots of bending. I agree with you that the high E is a little too close to the edge of the neck, but I'm getting used to it.

Enjoy your new guitar!

Hi Fleece,

Great report on the similarities between the LPCC and Midtown Custom. I'd also love to hear how the Midtown Custom sounds compared to an ES-335.

Fortunately, I haven't had the tuning problem you mention with my Midtown Custom. I've actually been pleasantly surprised with how well it stays in tune, even after lots of bending. I agree with you that the high E is a little too close to the edge of the neck, but I'm getting used to it.

Enjoy your new guitar!

Thanks Mark! I, too, would love to hear a comparison of the MC and ES-335. The MC always seems to be described as a mix between the LP and ES-335, but having now purchased an LP, I have a strong suspicion that the MC is a much closer relative to it than the ES-335. Which is good news for me, because, a Lucille remains at the top of my wish list. Just wish they weren't so damn expensive. I'll probably test the water with a satin 335 on eBay, as I hear they sound just as good for a lot less.

Archived