Gibson Brands Forums

Any of you guys kind of always felt that .012's, and acoustic guitars in general,tuned to pitch too stiff & hampers your playing?

merseybeat1963

12s are about as thick as I go on an acoustic, 11s however just don't do it for me.

Then again - I'm mostly playing Taylors (yes, that's right Taylors boys.. fire away..)

anyway, the action and neck profile is a bit more finger friendly I think than what most of you guys are playing.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then again - I'm mostly playing Taylors (yes, that's right Taylors boys.. fire away..)

Congrats on having a guitar you seem to enjoy, harder than you would imagine with such a vast range these days. Always nice to hear of a happy customer for any brand.

anyway, the action and neck profile is a bit more finger friendly I think than what most of you guys are playing.

Down to preferences there mate, there's no right or wrong.

12s are about as thick as I go on an acoustic, 11s however just don't do it for me. Then again - I'm mostly playing Taylors (yes, that's right Taylors boys.. fire away..)

ok, talk about Taylor: how does James Taylor get that rich acoustic sound with his Taylor?

i'm not either band's biggest fan , but i dont think either if them are racist .... anti gay .... or anything , i could be wrong , if they are they at least have the sense to keep it to themselves

I should have suggested Ted Nugent then.

Could be because James Taylor plays guitars built by James Olson, not guitars built by Bob Taylor.

Olson? never heird of it, I thought he played a Taylor. That James Taylor sound sure is rich and melodic.

yes, definitely in agreement.

I've tried a fair few Taylors now, have to say I've no realistic gripe with them as a product, seemed well made, appeared well finished. Admirable stuff... what it didn't have (to my ear) was a bit of bark & bite and I'm not a fan of the modern styling. So, it's a case where I've never played one that would make me buy it at the price they are; Not because I don't think they're capable of quality manufacturing, purely in that it simply doesn't tick my box regarding style and plays a bit too clean for my tastes.

I think a decent pro setup will take most decent guitars to a level of playability that far surpasses the factory, so at this level other preferences become bigger factors.

My allusion has basis in disco era mid 70's ..New York..(should I elaborate?)

And the Martin guitar of the modern period..especially of that era.. where the most unimaginative bland guitar design..was at its most uninteresting.

Anyway..

I did my best to get Martin to give me something good looking for a change...

I told them "I want a highly figured back or I aint buyin anything".

Usually they hold this stuff out for stupidly priced guitars.

D42 Custom

*Highly Figured Madagascar Rosewood Back

*Full thickness V Neck like the old ones.

*Premium Adirondack top.. not like those horrible wide grained jobs.

*Adirondack FS 5/16 Braces

*Nice headplate

*And in the end..Abolone trim around the fretboard & headstock

Put Ivory pins in it...its almost pretty : )

In the end ..it just sounds like a Martin.

Great looking neck..if only strings felt like me Gibson L5.

Picture of back not too clear.

http://s1146.beta.photobucket.com/user/merseybeat1963/media/DSC01973.jpg.html

http://s1146.beta.photobucket.com/user/merseybeat1963/media/DSC01974.jpg.html

http://s1146.beta.photobucket.com/user/merseybeat1963/media/DSC01975.jpg.html

I've tried a fair few Taylors now, have to say I've no realistic gripe with them as a product, seemed well made, appeared well finished. Admirable stuff... what it didn't have (to my ear) was a bit of bark & bite and I'm not a fan of the modern styling. So, it's a case where I've never played one that would make me buy it at the price they are; Not because I don't think they're capable of quality manufacturing, purely in that it simply doesn't tick my box regarding style and plays a bit too clean for my tastes.

I think a decent pro setup will take most decent guitars to a level of playability that far surpasses the factory, so at this level other preferences become bigger factors.

That's been a lot of the rub on taylors, but for me they work as I'm primarily a finger style player, with using flat picking as required. That said, I really MUST get a J200 or AJ someday.

And the Martin guitar of the modern period..especially of that era.. where the most unimaginative bland guitar design..was at its most uninteresting. Anyway..

I did my best to get Martin to give me something good looking for a change... told them "I want a highly figured back or I aint buyin anything". Usually they hold this stuff out for stupidly priced guitars. D42 Custom *Highly Figured Madagascar Rosewood Back *Full thickness V Neck like the old ones. *Premium Adirondack top.. not like those horrible wide grained jobs. *Adirondack FS 5/16 Braces *Nice headplate *And in the end..Abolone trim around the fretboard & headstock Put Ivory pins in it...its almost pretty : )

In the end ..it just sounds like a Martin.Great looking neck..if only strings felt like me Gibson L5. Picture of back not too clear. http://s1146.beta.ph...C01973.jpg.html

http://s1146.beta.ph...C01974.jpg.html http://s1146.beta.ph...C01975.jpg.html

for hitler's sake, that's one big ask, and you didn't ask them for mother-of-pearl "Martin" logo instead of a $ .03 penny decal?

♫ "Motha....you left moi, but I didn't left ya..." ♫

for hitler's sake, that's one big ask, and you didn't ask them for mother-of-pearl "Martin" logo instead of a $ .03 penny decal?

♫ "Motha....you left moi, but I didn't left ya..." ♫

Can't say I know too much about Hitler except that Im extremely lucky to be here today cause my mother survived about 2 years at Leipzig & Buchenwald Concentration camps.

What I do know is Martin Guitar Co would probably charge $125 for that $.03 penny decal.

And the Martin guitar of the modern period..especially of that era.. where the most unimaginative bland guitar design..was at its most uninteresting.

Anyway..

D42 Custom

*Nice headplate

http://s1146.beta.photobucket.com/user/merseybeat1963/media/DSC01973.jpg.html

http://s1146.beta.photobucket.com/user/merseybeat1963/media/DSC01974.jpg.html

http://s1146.beta.photobucket.com/user/merseybeat1963/media/DSC01975.jpg.html

you told them "I want a highly figured back or I aint buyin anything". ??

and they listened ?

Anyway..

D42 Custom

*Nice headplate

MB, I think the back of your D-42 is quite lovely. Assuming relatively little tonal difference between Brazilian/Madagascar/Indian--which I'm going to assume--I think Madagascar is a good substitute for Brazilian aesthetically. I have a couple of nice EIR flat-tops, but the wood generally lacks the drama of a really good piece of Brazilian or Madagascar.

I'm not fond of the stark white look of new spruce, and at my age (65), I don't have the luxury of owning a new guitar for another 40 years until the color of the top really mellows out. For that reason, I have no problem with the vintage toner Martin uses on some guitars, like my 000-28 EC.

I have a pretty ecumenical view of guitars. Although most of my guitars are Gibsons, I own and play other brands as well.

You may see Martins as too austere, but I look at them much the same way I look at Shaker furniture: simple, fit for purpose, and celebrating wood for its inherent properties of decoration and function, with little additional adornment required.

Having said that, I like a little bling. One of the pre-war D-45's would fit the bill nicely in that regard....... [biggrin]

you told them "I want a highly figured back or I aint buyin anything". ??

and they listened ?

Incredibly yes..

I was serious..this is what i want.

When I went to arrange it ,the store, Victors House of Music, had the Martin Rep be there at the same time.

Extremely nice guy.

Im kind a like Ms.Doyle (Father Ted)..persistant.. the rep assured me that he would select the wood for the back himself.

In person it looks even nicer than the picture.

But in the end the guitar is just average sounding like most Martins Ive owned. My plain Jane Lowden is for me so much nicer as it makes me play better. : )

Need all the help I can get.

MB, I think the back of your D-42 is quite lovely. Assuming relatively little tonal difference between Brazilian/Madagascar/Indian--which I'm going to assume--I think Madagascar is a good substitute for Brazilian aesthetically. I have a couple of nice EIR flat-tops, but the wood generally lacks the drama of a really good piece of Brazilian or Madagascar.

I'm not fond of the stark white look of new spruce, and at my age (65), I don't have the luxury of owning a new guitar for another 40 years until the color of the top really mellows out. For that reason, I have no problem with the vintage toner Martin uses on some guitars, like my 000-28 EC.

I have a pretty ecumenical view of guitars. Although most of my guitars are Gibsons, I own and play other brands as well.

You may see Martins as too austere, but I look at them much the same way I look at Shaker furniture: simple, fit for purpose, and celebrating wood for its inherent properties of decoration and function, with little additional adornment required.

Having said that, I like a little bling. One of the pre-war D-45's would fit the bill nicely in that regard....... [biggrin]

You know,personally I dont think on a Martin, there is that much difference when the guitar is done, if they use Indian or Madagascar in sound.

The guitar is just not built light enough.

If Martin asked me Id say reduce that lifetime warranty to 3 years and build the guitar light as you used to. THATS what I should have specified when I ordered this thing..even if it entailed no warranty.

Personally I like the top when it is new white ..but it yellows anyway.. no matter what ..maybe if a non nitro is used it wont.

Those old Martins are really great.

Furniture..whew..man I love furniture.First I got that 57 LP jr guitar & love of wood followed.

Never thought shaker furniture design attractive except for that qurtered white oak wood.

I am pretty much a bling prostitute.

Off subject..concerning furniture, about 13 years ago I saw this picture of a bed made in England.....I have to show it.. my head spun..

I told my wife, kiss goodby to your bedroom set (of 20 years).. Im getting that bed if its the last thing I do on this earth.

Before she knew it ,her own brother snapped up our bedroom set & she was sleeping on a mattress on the floor for about 2 1/2 years.

A few peeps and squeeks here & there but she really loves her brother.

Our cieling was 9'3" so they made it without that peak at 9'. Just enough to stuff the thing into the room.

It took a while to afford that furniture but our friend an old Irish lady/Realtor that originally got us our house saw that bed, and she was virtually on her knees oh my god that is the bed of my dreams.The lady almost fainted.

I know its off subject but for the love of wood.

http://s1146.beta.photobucket.com/user/merseybeat1963/media/DodgeQAnneCabinet.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1146.beta.photobucket.com/user/merseybeat1963/media/GothicBed.jpg.html

Can't say I know too much about Hitler except that Im extremely lucky to be here today cause my mother survived about 2 years at Leipzig & Buchenwald Concentration camps.

What I do know is Martin Guitar Co would probably charge $125 for that $.03 penny decal.

I am not a fan of hitler or anyone like him either, just found it funny that someone suggested a Gibson hitler model guitar, so I suggested it be shaped like a swastika. But I am serious when it comes to a 3 penny Martin or Gibson headstock decal, it is an insult to serious guitar players who pay premium money for a quality guitar to end up with a cheep decal. Cheep is as cheep does. What's even worse, these decals can be purchased online so any guitar can be faked.

here's an excellent example: Back in the 1980's I stopped at a garage sale; There was this "Hofner" 12 string acoustic laying there. I looked at it carefully, it had a "Hofner" decal on the headstock AND a "Hofner Anno" sticker applied at the base of the sound hole. Looked pretty "authentic" to me. Even better was that it played and sounded better than my ex-Martin after I tuned it! (better action, rich midrange sound even though it was missing several strings). Took it home, needed a good cleaning and polish, it looked old, like 1960's.

well, I started polishing the headstock and the "Hofner" decal rubbed off and I could see a mother-of-pearl logo behind the decal. What the...!!! I kept rubbing and rubbing to discover a "KENT" inlaid logo under the decal. WHAT? KENT? A fake "Hofner"? Yes. I still have it, it's an excellent playing guitar, I don't care if it was made in Timboktoo. All Mahogany and Spruce top and the Mahogany is "burled". Who would have thought? Be my guest, spend your big money in a Martin, tell everybody "I have a Martin" if it makes you feel so important. It might have been made in Timboktoo as well and a "Martin" decal applied to the headstock years ago.

Merry Christmas in advance to all of you!

Lol! I hear all about you guys using .010's , .011's and .012's but nobody using .013's which is what I use on my J-200. You think the J-200 can handle this guage or am I looking at neck issues down the road? I don't find it hampers my playing whatsoever other than being more difficult to bend strings.
They can take it. And they need it, really, to get the top moving. They had one down here at the local shop strung with 14s that sounded great. Just dont expect to play like EC instead of Rev Gary and Jorma. Man up, guys.

Btw, the L00 BK I used to have sounded merely meh with lights (built like a tank). It sang out with mediums.

Archived