Gibson Brands Forums

Show all your guitars - group pics

davidb1986

Finally lined up my gear and had my son take a photo I wouldn't be ashamed of to post [biggrin]

Now I wish I knew how to post a full size pic instead of making yall click the thumbnail... [crying]

Guitars (left to right): 2006 Gibson Vegas High Roller, 1999 Martin D-2R, Washburn Boogie Street Guitars WI66 Evil Twin (#28 of 50), 2002 Fender Strat (MIM) w/EMG KH set, 1979 Yamaha FG331, ESP LTD MH300, 2011 Gibson Midtown Custom.

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD Combo, Fender Super Sonic 4x12 Cab (Celestion V30 loaded), Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special 1x12 Combo.

post-38686-081072700 1355862921_thumb.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dbreslauer just looking at your lps ,[ very nice] , looking at your wallhangers they look like stringswing hangers to me and if they are they are 100% nitro safe and you don,t really need cotton protectors on them.Ive hung all my guitars on them for years with no ill effect. As nitro is a relatively soft finish and with all the weight on the cotton there could be a chance of the cotton pattern indenting the nitro actually causing the problem that your trying to avoid. [thumbup] [thumbup] This is just my observation and not a criticism.

I've got a question for y'all...how do you justify having that many guitars? [confused]

Not sure that you have to "justify" anything, but I remember a thread from a forum (maybe even this one) about how many guitars you have. One guy mentioned that his Dad was over one day and looked around and said "You've got a lot of guitars". to which he replied "You golf with just one club?" [biggrin]

Different strokes for different folks.

Nearly everyone of my guitars has more than paid for itself. Most of them in a month or less. The three that haven't been played out much were gifts from my wife. So no money out of my pocket was involved. Besides its nice to be able to bring the right guitar to the gig. Some bandleaders have a preference on what they want to hear. You don't bring a light up guitar in the shape of your home state to a wedding gig. Or an acoustic to a rock club gig. Never bring a knife to a gun fight...right??

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of pictures to [drool] over on this thread - lots of you with great taste. This bunch is pretty tame.

100_0414.jpg

Only 1 Gibson or Epi I'm afraid. But I'm only just returned back to the Gibson fold. [blush]

(l to r)

Self Build "Strat" - single piece Northern Ash body, hand wound Chris Hernandez Alnico 2 S/S/S pickups. Chunky 9lbs.

PRS SE Soapbar - stock P90 pickups replaced with Tonerider Alnico 2 "vintage" P90s

Gibson SG Classic P90 (as if I needed to say) [cool]

Hagstrom Viking Deluxe - stock 'bucker pickups replaced with Duncan/Lover SH55 Alnico 2s.

I was amazed how much benefit the pickup upgrades gave for playability, not just tone.

The PRS SE is now G open tuning for slide and alternative voicings. Though it's Alnico 2 pickupss do give it a different sound to the SG despite the two being all mahogany solid body guitars.

I've been having GAS attacks for electric guitars over the last 3 years and have had too many purhases and sales really. Don't know what I'm going to GAS over now I've 4 guitars which all have something special for me. EBay and PayPal will miss all the fees they've been getting from me. :rolleyes:

A lot of pictures to [drool] over on this thread - lots of you with great taste. This bunch is pretty tame.

100_0414.jpg

Only 1 Gibson or Epi I'm afraid. But I'm only just returned back to the Gibson fold. [blush]

(l to r)

Self Build "Strat" - single piece Northern Ash body, hand wound Chris Hernandez Alnico 2 S/S/S pickups. Chunky 9lbs.

PRS SE Soapbar - stock P90 pickups replaced with Tonerider Alnico 2 "vintage" P90s

Gibson SG Classic P90 (as if I needed to say) [cool]

Hagstrom Viking Deluxe - stock 'bucker pickups replaced with Duncan/Lover SH55 Alnico 2s.

I was amazed how much benefit the pickup upgrades gave for playability, not just tone.

The PRS SE is now G open tuning for slide and alternative voicings. Though it's Alnico 2 pickupss do give it a different sound to the SG despite the two being all mahogany solid body guitars.

I've been having GAS attacks for electric guitars over the last 3 years and have had too many purhases and sales really. Don't know what I'm going to GAS over now I've 4 guitars which all have something special for me. EBay and PayPal will miss all the fees they've been getting from me. :rolleyes:

Did the SDs on the Viking improve the sound? Thinking about going with 490's on my Viking. They sound great on my son' ES-137. Also got a minty 2011 LP Studio 60's Tribute w/P90s coming on Sat..(or perhaps Monday). T2hpJ.jpg

I know this picture sucks, but its all I got for now.

Harem1_zpsa0e924a7.jpg

Top left going clockwise: Gretsch G6120 Nashville, Carvin SH550, ES-335, American Standard Strat (Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pickups), American Standard Tele (Dimarzio Tone Zone T on bridge, splittable)

These are my main guitars. Not pictured: Black Takamine G340 acoustic, old Black Washburn Mercury electric (Strat type).

Just traded a wine red Studio LP for that Tele.

I know this picture sucks, but its all I got for now.

Harem1_zpsa0e924a7.jpg

Top left going clockwise: Gretsch G6120 Nashville, Carvin SH550, ES-335, American Standard Strat (Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pickups), American Standard Tele (Dimarzio Tone Zone T on bridge, splittable)

These are my main guitars. Not pictured: Black Takamine G340 acoustic, old Black Washburn Strat type.

Just traded a wine red Studio LP for that Tele.

Got something against Gibsons?? [confused]....ooops, my bad...just saw the ES-335. [thumbup]

Got something against Gibsons?? [confused]....ooops, my bad...just saw the ES-335. [thumbup]

Haha... Two outa four of my first guitars were Gibsons. I got rid of the Studio LP because I felt like, between the Carvin SH550 and the ES-335, I had the tone of the LP covered. I'm not a huge fan of Strats, either, but I love the single coil tones of my Strat (Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Blues/Pro/Area 61 in the neck/center/bridge) and my Tele and the sound of that coil split Dimarzio Tone Zone T humbucker in the Tele bridge. And of course, the Gretsch has a very distinguishable tone of its own. I feel like I have most all of the tones that I want covered with this group.

Tele showing the Tone Zone T humbucker at the bridge:

1227121945c_zps7aabaab7.jpg

Forgive me if I have blasphemed the god of guitars when I say that I've never understood why people, other than collectors, need a dozen different Les Pauls when one or two will cover most all of those tones. Granted, P-90s do have a distinct tone of their own and one which I would love to include in my own collection some day. I also see an ES-175 in my future for that jazz box tone that I need.

My favorite guitar, and it has been for the last couple of years, is my Carvin SH550:

Carvin2_zps9229bcc4.jpg

Carvin4_zpsf411d604.jpg

Did the SDs on the Viking improve the sound? Thinking about going with 490's on my Viking. They sound great on my son' ES-137. Also got a minty 2011 LP Studio 60's Tribute w/P90s coming on Sat..(or perhaps Monday).

The SD SH55s turned the Hagstrom Viking Deluxe from a good guitar into a very, very good one. Not just an improvement in tone but also in playability - the pickups are so much more sensitive to playing dynamics / the way strings are picked etc. The swap wouldn't help on high gain stuff - but on clean / light crunch of blues, jazzy, or blues/rock they're outstanding. [drool]

Nice to see another Viking appearing in the pictures on this thread - I can understand why you're looking to upgrade the pickups - but as you'll notice from my guitar group picture I'm a bit of a serial pickup upgrader! Good luck with the LP Studio 60's Tribute w/P90s - I recall a video demo from Andertons / Rob Chapman which showed these to be a very good guitar choice.

P90s are a great choice of pickup for me - but I fear that's a minority view - there's half a dozen guitar shops in the nearest city (Edinburgh) but if you had to use fingers and toes to count you'd hardly need to take your shoes off to count all the P90 guitars they have between them. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

I look to you on my question considering your knowledge on this type of thing: Is there a place to attach a proper ground on these suckers? I didn't think there was, but what do I know?* Unless you can ground to press board.

*that's a rhetorical question ;)

Install three prong plug and take the green and white wires from the 3 wire plug and hook them together. That's basically what you do when you're installing a 3 prong plug into an old appliance. The common and ground have the same voltage. If your wiring in the house is messed up, your breaker will trip when you plug it in.

This doesn't always work on everything, so be careful. [crying]

• 2 weeks later...

Bassesgroupshot007_zps23d6b2c4.jpg

1991 Yamaha TRB-4P

'01 Les Paul Std. - Aguilar preamp, added neck pickup, Lace Alumitones, Custom Wineburst

'06 Les Paul Double Cut. - Aguilar Preamp, Lace Alumitone (n), Gibson TB+ Humbucker (br)

'05 SG - Hipshot Supertone bridge, DiMarzio Model 1, Lace Deathbucker

2010 Fender Deluxe P (MIM) - Hipshot bridge

1983 Aria Pro II CSB-300 - Body filled & re-routed, Hipshot "Ric" bridge, Lace Alumitone (n), Gibson TB+ (br), Ford Chrome Yellow

1981 Aria Pro II CSB-380 - Bill Lawrence L-90 added

20?? Squire Vintage Modified P - S101 neck, EMG pickups, Hipshot bridge

Don't have a group because I only have one electric and no picture of my Ovation Acoustic. So here is my input.

MyGear005.jpg

MyGear006.jpg

MyGear007.jpg

MyGear008.jpg

Not a finish I have seen before. Instead of the burst going out from the middle to the edges, it's like it goes from the neck down to the tail. Unusual.

Archived