Gibson Brands Forums

My new project.. Turn a door into a guitar

Rabs

Super cool. Testing those is a great idea - again showing how thorough and methodical you are. I'm learning a lot for sure.

BTW, I like the Tru Oil best.

Cheers man.. yes im loving that tru oil too.. instant convert :)

And yes... testing like this is the only real way.. imagine if I did that on my mahogany build and it went wrong.. Lol, this is much safer, I need to know how everything will react in advance of doing it on the main build and get my process right so when I do it for real then im at least 90% sure it will go ok (theres ALWAYS a chance something will go wrong as with everything else in life ;))

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oddly enough..I like the look of the half walnut/half maple top thing....especially with that Tru Oil finish...whenever you start making more of these, I want a Rabswood "Split top" like that.

-Ryan

Lol.. with pleasure sir [thumbup]

That would certainly make for a different looking guitar that's for sure... So would you want half and half with the hardware too? ;)

Maybe on the back I could do it the other way round?

That would certainly make for a different looking guitar that's for sure...

I'm all about different!

So would you want half and half with the hardware too? ;)

Mixed hardware definitely.

Maybe on the back I could do it the other way round?

Mmm back veneers..I like the way you think.

-Ryan

And hello again and welcome to todays update...

More oil testing (I just want to do a few layers and make sure im happy with it) and some work on the other mahogany neckthrough build that's got a zero neck angle.

So.. firstly back to that coat of oil I put on yesterday... Wow.. even after just one layer it looks pretty good and theres no buffing or sanding going on yet.. pretty cool

DSC05240_zps55584d50.jpg

DSC05242_zps73cb1de5.jpg

DSC05247_zps1c7e887e.jpg

So I add another coat.. a but less oil this time and just simply rub it all in until it starts to get sticky.. while that is drying I go and work on that second mahogany neckthrough. First I cut it to my shape as I did with the oak one yesterday (still need a good name for that model). I used a completely new template bit for this.. wow what a difference a new blade makes.

DSC05253_zpsbff3836c.jpg

So for this build I want to use those Dynasonic type pups I have.. Now these are different as they are body mounted.. So I will have to take some wood of the top of the body or this obviously wont work with these pickups :)

DSC05255_zpscc510dda.jpg

I just need to take off a few mm

DSC05256_zps7758fa8e.jpg

So quickly I go back and look at my oiled top...

DSC05260_zpsdea309aa.jpg

DSC05267_zpsf95cc61c.jpg

I think im now pretty happy with the way this is going so I will need to get a bigger bottle oil to finish the main build with (and probably the other ones too)... So I added another layer (the third I think) and went back to what I was doing.

So this is how im thinning the top down. simply with my router like this :)

DSC05269_zps45c9744e.jpg

DSC05273_zpsa78c8e6d.jpg

More below

When I get to the middle I need some support for the router so I just get a couple of bits of wood under there

DSC05277_zps3a7f0f1f.jpg

Then I used my angle grinder to get the rest off near the neck (as the router wouldn't fit up there... and hey presto

DSC05278_zps0eb8d20b.jpg

So, much better.. and bare in mind that even though these are top mounted I will still have to route a hole for the screws and wire and I will make it flush with the body so I will get an extra few mm that should just be right... I can alter that later if its not..

DSC05280_zps42cdf969.jpg

DSC05281_zpsf0342648.jpg

So now time for this guitars headstock.. I can use the larger of my templates for this as theres enough wood

DSC05293_zpse2b2d9b5.jpg

So there you go.. three bodies and headstocks pretty much done.. need to do the necks next.

DSC05318_zpsc45086b5.jpg

Here you can see the difference in headstock size

DSC05323_zps691fabe9.jpg

DSC05325_zpsdaa09131.jpg

more below

Back to the oil again :)

DSC05300_zps52601eb9.jpg

DSC05297_zps64af8315.jpg

Here you can see the difference between the oiled bit from the back to the middle of the body(ish) and the horn area that has no oil

DSC05304_zpsb90d63f9.jpg

And after one more coat

DSC05330_zps6a242006.jpg

DSC05331_zps401f398a.jpg

DSC05337_zpsdb729f9d.jpg

So I put one last coat on that I will try and buff up tomorrow to see how it buffs

DSC05343_zpsdab490f3.jpg

And leave it there for today..

I hope you are all still enjoying this.. we are near the end now (well of this thread)... and more tomorrow [thumbup]

And welcome back again (those still watching :))

Today I did the last oil test and did some neck shaping with and angle grinder.. I did a video of that which I will post further down...

So I started off by using some wire wool to sand the top down a bit (which your meant to do from the third coat :unsure: ) but im only rough testing so I didn't go to mad..

DSC05345_zpsb11ad06d.jpg

DSC05346_zpsc87b0ec6.jpg

Then I apply a final coat..

DSC05350_zpsc2abecc3.jpg

DSC05355_zpsf7e0ecbb.jpg

So I leave that to dry and get on with some fret dressing.. First tape the fret spaces up do I don't file into the board

DSC05362_zpsac19d5fc.jpg

DSC05364_zps495bbf22.jpg

I go at the ends with my jewellers file (very useful tools)

DSC05367_zps337405d3.jpg

And after an hour or so (this is quite a boring job really but obviously important to do it right) im pretty much done.. no razors here

DSC05369_zpsaf377d1b.jpg

Then I look at the oil again.. believe it or not this is now dry and looks pretty great, even without buffing.. Happy with that [thumbup]

DSC05372_zps14f4dffd.jpg

So im into this oil finish and it looks like its fine with stains and with the glue holding the veneer down [thumbup] Now my issue at the moment is I cant decide if I should veneer this mahogany build or not... I LOVE the look of flamey tops and this walnut I have is really nice... BUT I also like natural tops and this mahogany isn't bad.. And I just cant decide.. BUT I will tomorrow.. so the final finishing will start one way or another :D

More below

What I do decide to do is to mark the positions of the holes (the pot holes I can get to from the back)so if I do decide to veneer I know exactly where the holes are (or it could get messy :)

DSC05375_zpsc3fcd09c.jpg

I also decide to give it a good rub down by hand with some finer paper (some 120 grit) and I do this by hand as you can feel any imperfections better than you can using a sander.

DSC05377_zps3e1eac3c.jpg

So I put that aside till tomorrow while I think about exactly how im going to finish it.

Then I move on to the Oak necthrough build. So today I decided for the first time to use my angle grinder to shape the neck... Previously I used rasps and sanders and it could take a few days to do..

This is how it was

DSC05378_zpsee96a4c6.jpg

So I thought it would be fun to film this (even though it was my first time :unsure: ;)).. This actually took 10mins to do but ive sped it up so it wont be too boring :D

Not bad for 10mins work hey :)

As you can see its not perfect by any means but it wont take me long to shape the rest of that

DSC05383_zps0593e348.jpg

DSC05388_zpsa1b48e61.jpg

DSC05389_zpsa778c263.jpg

DSC05390_zps8edf9e63.jpg

So that I think was a success.. If im going to continue to do this I need to make my work efficient so im up for trying different stuff.. you really just never know till you try..

So that's all for today.. as I say tomorrow I should start the final finishing steps on the mahogany build ... Ohhh exciting ;)

So as always, thanks for watching and more tomorrow [thumbup]

Looing good man!...........I've learnt more following this thread than I ever learnt at school.

Another tru-oil fan.

Im glad some people are enjoying and getting something from it, makes it even more worth while :D.. so thanks for watching and the kind words. We are all learning together really.. Ive had many useful suggestions from you guys [thumbup]

And yes im impressed with the tru oil.. now its had like 5 coats and you can actually feel a finish on there.. it hardens up nicely [thumbup] .. No toxic fumes or anything like that so you can do it indoors and it dries in days rather than weeks that you wait for a nitro finish to cure.. Pretty cool.

Product Description

3 Fl Oz (90ML) Bottle of Tru-Oil natural wood oil finish. Ideal for refinishing almost any gunstock. Tru-Oil is the original gunstock finish used by the Beretta factory for the majority of new Beretta shotguns. The solution is a quick drying blend of linseed and natural oils which form a tough hard and clear finish which enhances the natural beauty of the wood. Tru-Oil is also a favourite with many top walking stick makers.

I have a vintage(brand) LP copy that I have upgraded (pups etc)...and I would love to sand it down ( body,neck etc whole guitar) and give it a clear coat of...something....do you think this would do the trick?....as description '' tough HARD finish''....you reckon this would add an even brighter tone?

I have a vintage(brand) LP copy that I have upgraded (pups etc)...and I would love to sand it down ( body,neck etc whole guitar) and give it a clear coat of...something....do you think this would do the trick?....as description '' tough HARD finish''....you reckon this would add an even brighter tone?

Hmm.. well what I will say to that is firstly im still new to this finish (ive done Nitro a few times) so at the moment I can say that everything I have read and seen says YES it makes a great guitar finish... Looks kind of like its been varnished but is much harder.. I may test the hardness out in a few days and see how easy or not it scratches and then how easy or not it is to fix up a scratch with tru oil... Best thing to do is check youtube, theres loads of vids.. like these.

As for you LP copy... well it depends... What sort of finish does it have now? A thick poly type? Is it solid or can you see the grain.. What oil and lacquers will do to wood is highlight the grain so if you don't have much then it may not look so great, ALSO and this is probably more important, if theres any imperfections or scratches, it will show those up too... So, id say if you can see the wood and it looks nice do it, if not then your taking a chance on what the grain looks like. (oh and yes if it has a thick finish it may brighten the sound up putting a thinner finish, hard to say really)

Ummm...yep..it's a goldtop ,so I don't know whats below!....I do know the maple cap is not that thick.....I've hesitated from doing it so far in case I sand the whole cap off!!....with it being a fairly cheap copy the gold finish ain't that good (black specs etc)...but iv'e got it sounding real good......probably best to leave be........as we say....sod the look!...does it sound good!....yes it does,....and I could bugger that up........pity though.

Ummm...yep..it's a goldtop ,so I don't know whats below!....I do know the maple cap is not that thick.....I've hesitated from doing it so far in case I sand the whole cap off!!....with it being a fairly cheap copy the gold finish ain't that good (black specs etc)...but iv'e got it sounding real good......probably best to leave be........as we say....sod the look!...does it sound good!....yes it does,....and I could bugger that up........pity though.

Sanding the top off should be easy enough (just be careful at the edges).. As long as you use say 240 grit paper you wont be shaping the wood much (and from 400 upwards you don't shape the wood really at all(, just do it by hand (thin finish should come off easy)... Well put it this way, your not going to harm the sound or playability by doing it but as you say, being a cheap copy chances are its cheap wood, but you just never know.

So, if your happy with the guitar id agree leave it be.. but maybe find another cheap guitar in a pawn shop or a garage sale or something (like a cheap ebay deal) and try it on that first?

I will say its lots of fun doing this stuff so is worth dabbling in.. the tru oil finish really couldn't be easier to do.. Let us know if you decide to do one, id be interested to see it [thumbup]

Sanding the top off should be easy enough (just be careful at the edges).. As long as you use say 240 grit paper you wont be shaping the wood much (and from 400 upwards you don't shape the wood really at all(, just do it by hand (thin finish should come off easy)... Well put it this way, your not going to harm the sound or playability by doing it but as you say, being a cheap copy chances are its cheap wood, but you just never know.

So, if your happy with the guitar id agree leave it be.. but maybe find another cheap guitar in a pawn shop or a garage sale or something (like a cheap ebay deal) and try it on that first?

I will say its lots of fun doing this stuff so is worth dabbling in.. the tru oil finish really couldn't be easier to do.. Let us know if you decide to do one, id be interested to see it [thumbup]

Appreciate the info rabs,........i'm dithering...but leaning towards doing it.......probably toss a coin.....and then still do it either way!

Hello... heres todays update.

Today I decided to do one more veneer test.. I wasn't 100% happy with the technique I used... So today I used the back of the guitar (the pine one) to do another test. If this goes well I will veneer the main build tomorrow.. if not then I may just skip the veneer for this build until im 100% happy with what im doing.

So I had two ideas.. Firstly to use an iron (not heated) to help flatten the veneer...

DSC05397_zpsf6efd368.jpg

And then for proper weight I used two sand bags.. now they were heavy

DSC05396_zps97f9e10b.jpg

So ive stuck that down and am leaving that to dry until tomorrow.

Also I got some new pickups (these will go in the oak build. A humbucker and more interestingly a humbucker sized P90 for the neck

DSC05394_zpsd4e92fa5.jpg

DSC05395_zps473fbeb2.jpg

So I will look forward to hearing all of these when I get that far.

Then I went back to the other two neckthroughs

Heres the oak one with a bit more work (almost there now)

DSC05403_zps7e3d7ad6.jpg

DSC05409_zpsd0e4016e.jpg

Then I thought id tackle that hole I made by accident.. I measure it and its only 1cm deep so I thought well lets just shave it off

DSC05411_zpsc13a20c0.jpg

and all is good :D

DSC05415_zpsc22f994a.jpg

Then I tackled the second mahogany neck which is getting there

DSC05422_zpsa23c999b.jpg

DSC05428_zps7f1dc02b.jpg

So here we are... three necks and bodies almost shaped... Next I will do the nuts and tuners and pickup cavities fo those builds. Even if I start finishing the main build tomorrow it will only be an oil coat or gluing the veneer so while that's drying I will work on these other guitars.

More soon :) [thumbup]

Hello again all...

Today we have some more veneering (with a magic iron) AND I also glue the first side of the veneer to the neckthrough 2 build (the one nearly finished :))...

So last night I glued one more veneer to the pine body as I wasn't quite happy with the results (like 98% happy) and more practice cant exactly hurt.. The veneers are quite cheap so I think its worth wasting a few on testing.

Well today I went and looked at it, and well there was a few air bubbles [crying]

DSC05430_zpsd3e28911.jpg

DSC05431_zps4ad4c5b9.jpg

Then I remembered some of my lessons from doing that antique furniture restoration course.. So we bring out the magic iron :) and some brown paper to stop burning

DSC05432_zpsa98c822e.jpg

Literally 40 or so seconds later and some ironing and WOW.. that course paid off :D

DSC05434_zps5546b502.jpg

DSC05436_zpscfad84a0.jpg

DSC05438_zps68f49aaa.jpg

Sorted!! :D I am now happy to veneer the main build [thumbup]

I also decided to oil it again.. and man it brings that pine out nicely

DSC05446_zps9db38f37.jpg

DSC05453_zpsba06e7be.jpg

More below

So a new centre line is needed

DSC05458_zpsa9f04cb5.jpg

Heres that body again.. Love the tru oil [thumbup]

DSC05460_zps6c742e60.jpg

And heres the veneer roughly cut to the right size.. that will look sweet

DSC05468_zps143a1922.jpg

Tape one side down.. Also I have removed some excess near the horn.. If you try and put weights on that it will rip (and not I a good way)

DSC05470_zps12895426.jpg

Glue... While being thorough and making sure theres enough and ever bit of the surface is covered you mustn't make it too thick.

DSC05471_zps9c8aee71.jpg

And its on and drying...

DSC05472_zps26df0836.jpg

So.. that will dry over night and we will see the result tomorrow, then I will glue the other side and leave it the whole weekend to dry.. Then I can finish it next week :D (ohh and I will do a headstock veneer too ;))

More tomorrow..

Peace.

Looking good Rabs. I've been following for a long time and if this has been asked, I can't remember, but have you had any training or prior experience at this or is this just "I think I can" kind of stuff? Either way, looking good! [thumbup]

Looking good Rabs. I've been following for a long time and if this has been asked, I can't remember, but have you had any training or prior experience at this or is this just "I think I can" kind of stuff? Either way, looking good! [thumbup]

Thank you sir :)

And no.. not much (I have sprayed a couple with nitro a few years back)... When I actually first started this I hadn't done any woodwork since school and it was a case of I was (and still am) unemployed and after the first year of it I decided to do something creative and productive and that's when the idea was born. Also I wanted a guitar with a humbucker and P90 and couldn't afford to buy one (and at the time Gibson didn't offer a guitar with those pups) so decided I would make my own. And im not sure if I could have done it without the help of the internet.. Youtube has so many great videos on building guitars.

So yeah I thought why not, I have nothing to loose.. and it just went from there :)

Since then as mentioned above I did a short evening class on antique furniture restoration as id love to get into restoring vintage guitars (if I ever get that good ;)) and also as shown above, that class helped with some great tips and techniques that should come in handy.

Hello there..

Today is the quickest update ever :)

Checked the top side of the veneer.. looking good and I got the second half ready too stick on over the weekend.. I will then leave that to dry for a couple of days and then the oiling starts :D

I think that's gonna look pretty sweet when its all oiled up [thumbup]

20140207_181809_zps11ff3cf1.jpg

So more soon.. and have a great weekend [thumbup]

Hello there..

Today is the quickest update ever :)

Checked the top side of the veneer.. looking good and I got the second half ready too stick on over the weekend.. I will then leave that to dry for a couple of days and then the oiling starts :D

I think that's gonna look pretty sweet when its all oiled up [thumbup]

20140207_181809_zps11ff3cf1.jpg

So more soon.. and have a great weekend [thumbup]

The anticipation is killin me. Its so close to finished. Its been a helluva thread for sure.

The anticipation is killin me. Its so close to finished. Its been a helluva thread for sure.

Cheers man :)

And yes I cant wait to get this first one finished.. BUT I must be patient and do things properly and make sure I test until im happy.. but as soon as this one is done, I will have another two finished pretty soon after [thumbup]

But this one should be done some time next week now (still waiting for the bigger bottle of tru oil to turn up)...

Soon my friend.. Soon :) [thumbup]

Archived