Gibson Brands Forums

My new project.. Turn a door into a guitar

Rabs

Good evening one and all... Hope you are having a good weekend..

So today I carried on with the veneer.. All nice and flat on the body which is good but today I had to start cutting to the edge and putting the pickup and hardware holes in the top.

You can see here I cut out a small hole on the already glued side so I could see where the pickups cavities are

DSC05480_zpsea7fbc31.jpg

Then I very carefully use a scalpel to cut around the hole areas.. This is REALLY hard when your cutting across the grain so you gotta do it slow and sure or you will get chips and cracks (even if you are careful your bound to get one or two).

DSC05482_zpsd7f74bea.jpg

DSC05483_zpsd7f47512.jpg

In order to find the bridge and tailpiece holes I used that template I made earlier (clever me :)) or it could have got real messy real quick

DSC05484_zps56820358.jpg

Getting there :) What I will do is leave the edges slightly rough for now and sand down rather than try to cut right to the edge of the body and cavities

DSC05485_zps994f3411.jpg

DSC05487_zps3f575b31.jpg

The centre line where the glue got into will need bit of work.. Since the veneer is so thin you REALLY have to be careful when you sand it down.

DSC05496_zps8e752a07.jpg

But overall im pretty happy :)

DSC05504_zps09028c65.jpg

DSC05505_zps6567604f.jpg

And last but not least I glued a veneer to the headstock to match the body.. so it should look pretty cool [thumbup]

DSC05519_zps9b0c5376.jpg

So that's all for today folks... Tomorrow I will finish cleaning up the edges of the veneers and then its on to the oiling and finishing....

Until then.. take care ya'll

[thumbup]

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello again all.. Back after yesterdays small interruption.

Didn't get a hell of a lot done today either AND im still waiting for Ebay to deliver this big bottle of tru oil..

So today I just did the final trimming and sanding of the veneer which still took several hours as you have to be REALLY REALLY careful when your sanding and filing this stuff down (which you will see a bit later :unsure: )..

So heres the state of it as I start... if you look at the bottom right you will see where the edge is chipping.. What you have to do is basically just do down strokes if you use a file otherwise it WILL chip off and snap on the upwards stroke

DSC05520_zps16ce6b24.jpg

Here you can really see it

DSC05523_zps97254a72.jpg

and a few strokes with a file later

DSC05525_zps06904aeb.jpg

DSC05528_zpsf8036468.jpg

If you look here just above the bottom horn you can see a bit of glue [crying] but no worries as such, I did get a chip but it didn't break off, so a quick bit of glue under there and you wont even see it.. That was the worst thing that happened so pretty good [thumbup]

DSC05531_zps44e9a1bb.jpg

At this point of the day the sun decided to come out which has been so rare lately I decided to take a couple of nice shots :D

DSC05543_zpscd1b0abd.jpg

DSC05545_zps232be0a4.jpg

More below

So a good trick to see where you are at is if you wet the wood slightly.. shows you sort of what it will look like when it has some finish on it (as the wood gets real dry during the building process)

DSC05556_zps045f9fac.jpg

DSC05557_zpsdca49db2.jpg

DSC05560_zpsbeee3287.jpg

Here you can see where I had some glue overrun.. it really is waterproof :)

DSC05564_zps8a29980d.jpg

So pretty much its all done now.. Now I just need that damn bottle of tru oil

DSC05571_zpsd0d3d677.jpg

So lets hope that comes tomorrow.. If not I may just have enough left from that small bottle to do the top once.. Mind you its not like I have a lack of work to do, I just want to finish this darn thing now :P :)

More tomorrow..

And as always, thanks for watching [thumbup]

Hello and welcome...

Im still waiting for that bottle of tru oil, so yet again we must wait on the main build (arrrggghhh! :rolleyes: ), I emailed the people and it may yet arrive tomorrow.... So I did some more on that body and neck to make sure im ready for the oil and then I went back into the garage and kept working on some of my other bodies.

So heres that LP DC sort of shape that I was originally trying to make.. I kinda had one of my weird im just going to hack away at it and see what happen moments :)

So I first wanted to thin the bottom horn out a bit and make the back of the body a bit thinner

DSC05580_zps9894056d.jpg

And heres the result of that.. now im not happy with the top horn that looks way to fat

DSC05586_zpscbee1a91.jpg

So I continue hacking :)

DSC05591_zpsd9ea4783.jpg

And end up with this... Before I go to far I decide to stop there and come home and look at the pictures to make my mind up how to proceed

DSC05592_zps02e2c2ff.jpg

more below

Then I go at the second body I have made from this kitchen top wood I found at my sisters :D

DSC05594_zps2031ab78.jpg

So, theres two more bodies almost ready for a neck

DSC05597_zps7b8f7ca3.jpg

Plus I went at the other two neckthrough necks which im almost happy with

DSC05600_zps2a8369b9.jpg

They are pretty much ready for their pup cavities and various holes

DSC05606_zps4fda9c01.jpg

Two necks on the way

DSC05610_zps88c9358d.jpg

And still one of those door bodies that I originally started with

DSC05611_zps7090715d.jpg

And a crap load more wood from doors (as I REALLY still want to do a full pine body)

DSC05612_zpsa8045c53.jpg

AND more oak, which I will probably use for a neck

DSC05615_zps3902eaf6.jpg

AND I have that LP shaped mahogany body that im going to drill holes in and TRY to make it look something like this:)

Ijvvhvkvhvmage21_zps9e676e39.jpg

So, I still have lots and lots to do while waiting on my Tru Oil..

More tomorrow [thumbup]

Interesting idea..very "Ovation-esque".

-Ryan

Cheers man...

And yes, the guy I bought that body from told me it was made like a Tele thinline with a 4" block in the middle and the rest chambered out.. The second I heard that I knew I had to do some kind of sound hole.. F holes are the classic but a bit boring and I don't really like the diamond shaped ones much..

In all honesty I got that idea from that Frank Montag guitar editing website (here if anyone hasn't seen it, very cool site http://www.frankmontag.com/editors.htm ).. It was one of the options, but I took it a bit further and added extra holes on the top right.. :D..

Its odd actually.. if you look up F holes or sound holes on google, electric wise theres not many variations out there.. And yeah its sort of similar to the ovation but not :) We will see where this one takes me ;)

So ive had a little play with that double cut shape I wasn't happy with earlier (the fat LPish shaped one)..

And this is why im glad I stopped and came home to think about it.

I think ive found a cool shape here.. I will try and replicate that on the actual body tomorrow [thumbup]

Before

DSC05592_zps02e2c2ff.jpg

After

DSC0cscsc5592_zps47e5d4d0.jpg

Good evening all (or whatever time of day it is for you)...

So im still waiting on that tru oil (hurrumph)the people I got it from have emailed back and said they are looking into it.. Its the biggest issue with Ebay, when it goes well (which it mostly does) its amazing, but when it goes wrong you have no one to shout at.. you can only email and the have to wait.. Kind of annoying.. But hey ho, it will hopefully just mean I have two guitars to finish by the time it turns up :D

So today I did some more fine sanding, just making sure its all 100% and I also wanted to do a neck comparison and make sure im happy.. Also in these next few shots you will see where my inspiration came from (as I have mentioned, but its cool to see it). My favourite Gibby shape is the Double Cut special, certainly for playability. So when I came to decide what shape I wanted I designed that first door guitar in a VERY similar fashion. When I then came to do the shape for the next one (the current build that's waiting to be finished) I decided to make it more of a Double Cut Tele type shape, as I like Teles too (even though I don't have one) and thus came up with my shape which is sort of a cross between the two.

So here you can see.. The neck on my build is a bit chubbier than the DC (which has a 60s neck) and more to the point the heal area is a but fat on my build so I will address that.. Apart from that even though my neck isn't as slim as the DC, I like it. So I will keep it there (for now anyway :))

DSC05616_zpsad95bf20.jpg

DSC05620_zpsb41e0635.jpg

DSC05622_zps5161e117.jpg

And here is where you will really see the similarities between them ;) (I probably shouldn't be showing you all this :unsure: ;))

DSC05623_zpsb168ed0a.jpg

DSC05626_zps4d0cafe3.jpg

DSC05638_zpsb3f46076.jpg

And a few more shots (just trying to show you the profile from all angles ;))

DSC05627_zpsdbf5c0b5.jpg

DSC05633_zps9fb7fd98.jpg

Here you can see ive attacked the neck heal area so its a bit smaller now

DSC05637_zpsb33d61ef.jpg

Even the thickness is similar (even though that wanst on purpose :))

DSC05639_zpsfdefb10c.jpg

More on the Oak build below

So that's pretty much ready for its oil.. I may attempt slimming the neck down a bit more.. But it gets scary at this point.. The last thing you want to do is take off too much and hit the truss rod.. I will think about that this evening.

So back to the oak build.. I spent some time just going around it and making sure the shape is ok etc.. So then I decide well the next thing must be the pickup cavities..

As we have seen these pickups are surface mounted BUT will still need a small lip and a hole routed underneath for the pole pieces and wire.... So I make the all important centre line on the guitar and make a template for the pickup.

DSC05647_zpsff342fcc.jpg

DSC05649_zps2e5d191f.jpg

I take out most of the wood with my router (free hand :))

DSC05650_zps8bb3305a.jpg

Then file the rest down.. Almost there on my first try :D

DSC05654_zpscb583931.jpg

and Bingo [thumbup]

DSC05658_zps956df8a6.jpg

Nice and tight...

DSC05659_zps65284939.jpg

DSC05664_zps7cd44a25.jpg

Sweet.. so that's ready for tomorrow.. When I will also decide on which sort of bridge to use for this build (which at the moment im thinking as the body is a bit smaller than average a wraparound?)

More tomorrow..

And I hope your all still enjoying it even though the main build is dragging a bit while I wait for my oil.

Cheers for watching.. [thumbup]

Dammit Rabs, would you string one of those biatches up and play it already!!! LOL!!!

Seriously, have loved watching you build these up and can't wait to hear you play one!

Haha.. yes I too cant wait for that day.. As soon as this bloody bottle of oil comes I can get too it, these delays are annoying but all good things come to those who wait (hopefully :D)

Hello.. and welcome back..

Today I didn't do too much.. im kind of frustrated waiting for this Ebay delivery to arrive (of my Tru Oil).. So I just had a quick session and decided to make my control plate... It doesn't seem Gibson or anyone sells the LP Special control plate.. but then it doesn't take long to do so its cheaper this way at least :D

I had a spare sheet of plastic (2mm thick) from that John Lennon LPJ job I did.. Luckily I cant make two from this so I will have that ready for the next build.

So all simple... mark the shape out using my LP DC cover as a template

20140214_162809_zpsace4b2e2.jpg

cut in half

20140214_165122_zps3f45e725.jpg

and roughly shaped

20140214_171417_zpsf64d9170.jpg

then I decided to try and use my angle grinder to get the rest too shape.. wasn't sure if it was going to work or just melt the plastic but it did a GREAT job (all praise the angle grinder :))

20140214_174747_zps9c031bb1.jpg

ALMOST there on my first go :D you can see on the right it doesn't quite fit all the way, but a small amount of filing will sort that

20140214_175132_zpsce896a53.jpg

But that's good enough for today.. will sort the rest out on the weekend.

20140214_175202_zps290488cf.jpg

So that's all for today.. Sorry for the boring updates the last few days.. I am just as keen (probably more) as anyone to get this bloody thing finished now [unsure] soon... soon... :D

More on Sunday.... and have a great weekend all

[thumbup]

Rabs have I ever told you you're a crazy madman? well, you are.

Now you got me thinking that I could replace the fingerboard on my SG all on my own.

LOL.. I will take that as a compliment :)

And replacing a fingerboard on your Gibson.. Hmmm.. Now that is mad :P...

I have a few cheap acoustics I may try and do that with just for practice.. Its one of those things that can go real wrong REAL quick if you don't know what your doing. Mind you I haven't looked at much info on it.. Im sure there will be plenty of vids on youtube to show you what to do.

Hello all and welcome back anyone still watching...

GOOD news.. My tru oil has arrived WOOOooooooooo! :D

DSC05686_zps931cf1c1.jpg

So let the finishing commence. That means I will finish this week some time.

So.. I mask the fretboard (don't want any tru oil on there) AND I mask the headstock. The reason being that I have a RabsWood water transfer thingy. When you put that on, in order to finish it properly you really need to build up a lacquer finish to do that properly, I have a feeling the oil will just eat it away if I try and finish it with that.. Now im happy to do such as small area in nitro as it should be doable. But we will see that later on...

DSC05684_zps568f9917.jpg

Right, so lets get on with this darn finishing so I can get this thing wired up and plugged in

So as before, a nice liberal coat to start with

DSC05687_zpsceac61cc.jpg

DSC05688_zpsd0b887e3.jpg

SWEET [drool]

DSC05691_zps3ee518ac.jpg

Now.. when I applied the oil I started to notice a few areas where there must still be some glue residue (couldn't see it before)as the oil wont penetrate that area.. But thats no issue.. I will leave this first coat to dry overnight and then will probably sand it all back down on the sides so its all even. At least this first coat will seal it which is why you want to leave it overnight (when I add the next coats I will only have to wait a few hours between coats).

DSC05692_zpsdaab0c35.jpg

But where it does look good... IT LOOKS GOOD :D

DSC05697_zpse6504cf8.jpgDSC05698_zps54a90a38.jpg

So the front is pretty much dry to the touch now (after just an hour or so)

DSC05700_zps4a4d34cb.jpg

DSC05702_zps60ef9af5.jpg

More below.. lets get on with the back and neck

We actually had a sunny day today so I got a nice bright shot of it

DSC05707_zps09b95a49.jpg

So on with the back.. you can see a couple of small areas in the top right quadrant where theres more glue residue.. so will have to fix that tomorrow.

DSC05710_zpsb0fa9458.jpg

DSC05712_zps9ad748a5.jpg

That is looking smart even if I do say so myself :D

DSC05714_zps1d4a9752.jpg

DSC05721_zpsc2666d2e.jpg

DSC05722_zps084c1b5a.jpg

If you check this shot.. A cool effect is happening around the top edge.. it seems to be creating a nice dark border.. Couldn't have asked for a better result than that really :)

DSC05725_zpsc8ee5277.jpg

So.. that's all nicely drying... and looking good (made sure I did the control cavity too)

DSC05738_zps2e0c4d0f.jpg

DSC05745_zps60e36d09.jpg

So.. its looking pretty cool.. Tomorrow I will give it a good sanding over and make sure its perfect everywhere and theres no more glue residue left anywhere..

More then :)

Looking really good ........''clang clang go the jail guitar doors'' (i'm sure YOUR guitar will sound sweeter than clang!).

Haha... yes I hope so too.. It would be very disappointing if it just goes clang :unsure:

:)

Good evening all....

Today we have more finishing on the main build and some of the Oak build that sort of went a bit wrong [crying] but nothing I cant recover from... its just annoying when it happens..

So to start.. I went at the body with some fine sand paper (you can use wire wool too) and scuffed it all up.. You do this to make sure that the finish is flat for the next layer and it will help give you a nice flat finish

DSC05771_zps33f5bb22.jpg

So that then gets another coat and is left to dry for an hour or so...

DSC05774_zps3975287f.jpg

DSC05777_zpsdf37bfac.jpg

And heres how the back is looking

DSC05780_zps8b1128c1.jpg

DSC05782_zps6f729346.jpg

And the side (that hasn't been sanded back yet

DSC05786_zpsfddcead3.jpg

Now whats weird is im still getting a few small areas where the oil doesn't seem to be penetrating properly... You can see some ligher patches here

DSC05790_zps37b5333f.jpg

If you look at those areas again, I have given them a sanding... Hopefully the next coat will look better

DSC05795_zpsea40ac28.jpg

DSC05804_zps7c349bcd.jpg

So I give that another coat and while that is drying I decide to go do some of that oak build (arrgg!)

Basically I made my template which was pretty much perfect, but while trying to route it out, something went wrong.. Either the body or the template moved slightly (or the router bit moved which does happen sometimes and it cuts through the template).. So now it looks like this [crying]

DSC05805_zpscbe5a355.jpg

So I try to chisel it a bit and make it a more symmetrical shape at least

DSC05809_zpsdc6ffb64.jpg

It looks a bit better but im just not happy with that.. And ive already taken the body as slim as I would want it so I don't really want to just sand the top down...

DSC05812_zps03adab92.jpg

So then I decide that maybe if I make a rectangular shape that goes around both of the pickup cavities then maybe that wont look too bad.. like this

DSC05818_zpsc3704790.jpg

And route it roughly

DSC05821_zps9eeed2eb.jpg

Hmmmm... At this point im a bit frustrated so decide to leave it there before I just screw the whole thing up.. Back to that build tomorrow I guess. I will have a good think about it tonight

So back to the main build

Looking ok... The areas that the oil was having trouble with look that much better but still not 100%.. So I will have to have another go at those areas tomorrow

DSC05824_zps637ecb72.jpg

DSC05826_zps02e557ce.jpg

DSC05827_zps75743d97.jpg

sides looking ok.. will need a rub down tomorrow

DSC05832_zps8f91214b.jpg

So that's all for today... sort of a frustrating day, but I guess that happens in any line of work :) I will just have to keep trying different methods until I find out what works and what are more risky ways to avoid etc...

But all in all not bad either......

More tomorrow...

Cheers [thumbup]

Looking good Rabs

I better you are getting a little excited about completing this project

You have come a long way, and it looks like the end is in sight

Thanks man...

And yes I am excited... but full of mixed emotions at the moment.. Its been a long time coming and I guess I wont believe it till its finished and plugged in :)

But yes.. this week sometime (assuming all goes well).. I have all the hardware and electronics waiting and ready so its just the finish we are waiting on.. Before I finally buff it up I may wait a few days though just to be sure [rolleyes] (no point taking risks at this stage).

Archived