Gibson Brands Forums

My new project.. Turn a door into a guitar

Rabs

fireworks_zps36dd6d27.jpg

=D> =D> =D>

WOOOHOOOO!!!!

Well done Rabs. Congrats. Sounds great man.

I must say you got nuts the size of melons to take on a project like that and put it out there for everyone

to watch your success or failure.

I would say a huge success and many congrats on your achievement.

I too wanna know how it feels? Did you achieve the feel you were going for?

One suggestion.

Next video,, get some damn light shining on that Rabwood brother.

I can't even see it...

She's a beauty.

Nice job man!!!

Well done.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks one and all for the nice comments...

It feels pretty good.. The action is a bit high at the moment as I haven't cut the slots in the nut deep enough yet but apart from that I felt pretty much at home on it.. The body end of the neck gets a tad fatter than I am used to but just a bit.. The frets are smooth, I made sure of that :D and obviously the controls are what we are all used too.. I was worried that the toggle switch would get in the way but I didn't have that issue at all. Ohh there is a slight issue with the high E string.. Its a bit low on the fretboard, but I will stick a new nut in there which will sort that out (its amazing the difference 1 or 2mm can make).

And yes, I do like to be loud and distorted a lot :D I cant help it, its just part of my musical make up. :)

And yeah, I was meant to turn all the lights on but forgot, like I forgot to actually work out what I was going to play.. :unsure:

BUT as mentioned, I literally finished the guitar last night and came home and made the vid. I did it in a bit of a rush really (but you should all know what it looks like by now ;) this was a sound test so you can see it functioning more than anything).

When I do the proper build video I will do a proper demo and make sure I get all that stuff right [thumbup]

But also remember this is build 1.. I have four more on the way where I will perfect any little issues so I am already looking forward to number 2 (which is actually almost ready for finishing (the oak one).

I must say you got nuts the size of melons to take on a project like that and put it out there for everyone

to watch your success or failure.

Failure was not an option :)

In fact I did fail with the first one where the neck joint was wrong... But I had to keep going.. And if this build would have failed I would have kept going until I got it right :)

On some of my next builds I will have a neck joint to still get right... (which is one of the reasons I liked the neckthrough idea) Ive got two more neckthroughs to finish then its back to the body and neck joint.

WOW! Rabs that sounds great! And you made it yourself! You should be VERY proud!

Big +1 Rabs. This has been a fun thread to follow and well worth the wait to hear how it sounds. Great job!! [thumbup]

I am so impressed. Such hard work, dedication, effort and persistence desires a great pay-off….. and it looks like you have got a great pay-off.

I have followed the thread since the beginning - I had doubts that you would ever produce a genuinely playable instrument, but I humbly eat my words. Brilliant work!! Looks and sounds great.

Respect.

Manse

I am so impressed. Such hard work, dedication, effort and persistence desires a great pay-off….. and it looks like you have got a great pay-off.

I have followed the thread since the beginning - I had doubts that you would ever produce a genuinely playable instrument, but I humbly eat my words. Brilliant work!! Looks and sounds great.

Respect.

Manse

Thanks a lot man :)

I also wondered how playable I could make it, as in could I do it first time just by researching the facts and using my own guitar experience... But it does show that where there is a will there is a way... I guess its kind of the same as learning to play a guitar with which you also need patience and determination or you will get nowhere fast.

That is frickin AWESOME Rabs. That turned out very nice, once you get the setup figured out it will be even AWESOMER! Congats, that was a long road, but the end was worth the wait

Cheers man.. and it was well worth it. Even if I were to end up only making them for myself and friends type thing, its a creative and productive pass time... :)

And thinking about it im kinda shocked that the wiring all worked first time :) Im thinking about maybe trying some different cap values on the humbucker as I think it may open even more (I will try raising it a bit first), but the P90 is great, really wide sounding.

Belated Congrats Rabs!!!

To be honest, I didn't think it would ever be finished.

Job well done!!! [thumbup]

Cheers man... and yes it did take me a while to get the first one right... Now really the test is how quickly I can replicate that :)

(and then neck joints)

I gotta tell ya Rabs, when you first started I didn't think you would get to the end. When your first effort ended up with the super high action I thought you would give up. Honestly that's the hardest part is just not getting down on yourself when you make a mistake, because you're going to make mistakes. But you stuck it out and now you have the this to show for it. A guitar you made your self. You are up there with Brian May and Eddie Van Halen and even Les Paul.

I'm really proud that my pickups are in this guitar Rabs. What a job you have done! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Rabs amazing to see the finished project...if you would like to put all the info on the thread on a word doc with the photos etc.. would be more than happy to publish it on my site

http://www.gear-review.co.uk

Wow that would be great... Need some time on that though, theres ALOT :)

But that's much appreciated [thumbup] (will be in contact soon).

I gotta tell ya Rabs, when you first started I didn't think you would get to the end. When your first effort ended up with the super high action I thought you would give up. Honestly that's the hardest part is just not getting down on yourself when you make a mistake, because you're going to make mistakes. But you stuck it out and now you have the this to show for it. A guitar you made your self. You are up there with Brian May and Eddie Van Halen and even Les Paul.

I'm really proud that my pickups are in this guitar Rabs. What a job you have done! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Cheers man :) Im also proud to have your pickups in my guitar, they really sound great.

This is all amazing to hear after all of this... There have surely been times where I have got annoyed with it all when things wernt going right at points.. But I do believe that if something is worth doing, then its worth doing properly or why bother, right [thumbup]

And if only I could play like Les, Brian or Eddie (but then how many people can? ;))

Guest Farnsbarns

Well said, searcy!

[thumbup]

P.

Yep, just about sums it up! I too have to admit I didn't think this would have a happy ending, you simply had the tenacity to prove me wrong. Respect.

Yep, just about sums it up! I too have to admit I didn't think this would have a happy ending, you simply had the tenacity to prove me wrong. Respect.

Cheers man :)

And yes as you have all seen its been a bit of a struggle... but I expected it would be, I mean people spend many years at this sort of endeavour getting it right (and really I had nothing to loose by trying).... but also remember im still unemployed... I wonder if I would have carried on if I could only have worked on this at the weekends... At the moment if I were offered a job id have to take it, but until then I will keep on making these and if I can manage to start selling a few who knows...

So for me its been whats keeping me sane through this unemployment bout (and man its been a long one) as much as anything else.

Better than sitting here doing nothing and feeling depressed that I cant get a job. :)

Guest Farnsbarns

This'll make you sick Rabs. I currently have vacancies and I'm interviewing, I've had 4 out of 10 prearranged phone interviews never answer the phone and never get back to me and I've had 2 out of 5 face to face interviews simply not turn up.

This'll make you sick Rabs. I currently have vacancies and I'm interviewing, I've had 4 out of 10 prearranged phone interviews never answer the phone and never get back to me and I've had 2 out of 5 face to face interviews simply not turn up.

I know.. the state of things out there is unlike anything I have ever seen.. And cos of the stupid games industry and certain circumstances beyond my control ive been made redundant like 8 times in the last 15 years or so... and ive never seen it like this before, basically unless you have recent experience you don't get the call, and now I have been out of work over 2 years I have no recent experience as such, and then because my experience is so specific they just don't understand what my skills are [cursing] .

I haven't had a single interview in 2 years? I mean what the hell.. I know that my CV is a bit unusual but not even an interview... [crying]

Oh well I will just have to make this guitar thing work and be my own boss instead.. SCREW YOU GUYS (employers) Im going home!! :)

Guest Farnsbarns

I know.. the state of things out there is unlike anything I have ever seen.. And cos of the stupid games industry and certain circumstances beyond my control ive been made redundant like 8 times in the last 15 years or so... and ive never seen it like this before, basically unless you have recent experience you don't get the call, and now I have been out of work over 2 years I have no recent experience as such, and then because my experience is so specific they just don't understand what my skills are [cursing] .

I haven't had a single interview in 2 years? I mean what the hell.. I know that my CV is a bit unusual but not even an interview... [crying]

Oh well I will just have to make this guitar thing work and be my own boss instead.. SCREW YOU GUYS (employers) Im going home!! :)

Rabs, without wishing to patronise, I have been hiring and firing for a long time. Feel free to send your CV to me if you'd like my comments. I'll cometely understand if you'd rather not, just an offer. I think you have my email address.

Anyway, off the depressing subject matter.... When can I get my hands on that guitar of yours?

Rabs, without wishing to patronise, I have been hiring and firing for a long time. Feel free to send your CV to me if you'd like my comments. I'll cometely understand if you'd rather not, just an offer. I think you have my email address.

Anyway, off the depressing subject matter.... When can I get my hands on that guitar of yours?

Well what I would like to do is get number 2 finished first... which it almost is.. I just have to work out what im going to do with the body as I sanded it down too much and now the pups will be too low.. (so I may add a cap on top)... But once that's done I can finish that too.. I just think it will be cool to see the progression between them.

Then we can sort something out.. So maybe in like a couple of weeks. :) will get in contact nearer the time about that.

Oh yes and as for the CV offer.. ive had it looked at by many people now.. I don't think that's the issue really. I change it to suit whatever specific job im going for, ive done all that, several times now.

Archived