Gibson Brands Forums

Coffe maker rant...

RowdyMoon

Ok,this is the General forum for topics about whatever so here it goes.....whats with coffee makers crapping out after 1 year....I mean if I buy a 20 dollar coffee maker and I get 1 or 2 years I am good with that cause it's cheap and ment to last a short time but as a consumer I know this and make a purchase on that knowledge anyways....so I decide that it's time to buy a " better quality" coffee maker for " more money " and it doesn't last any longer than the imported crap... I looked after my parents estate a few years ago and when I was cleaning and organizing their things I came across new items as well as very old " working " items ....the lesson of this rant is nothing, nadda, however at the risk of sounding like an " older fart" I will say this...they just don't make em like they used too....the end.

Who needs 'em?...

Chez moi it is non electric filters/percs etc, which are everlasting...

I only experience electronic show-off wizardry when visiting commercial premises

With their flashing lights and 'cup drop' entertainment...

As I said somewhere before

'Live Java Jive'

[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Guest Farnsbarns

At the risk of being flamed. ..

You should probably look again at that "imported crap". The last coffee maker I would buy would be American. Look at Italian or French products but be prepared to pay.

Ok,this is the General forum for topics about whatever so here it goes.....whats with coffee makers crapping out after 1 year....I mean if I buy a 20 dollar coffee maker and I get 1 or 2 years I am good with that cause it's cheap and ment to last a short time but as a consumer I know this and make a purchase on that knowledge anyways....so I decide that it's time to buy a " better quality" coffee maker for " more money " and it doesn't last any longer than the imported crap... I looked after my parents estate a few years ago and when I was cleaning and organizing their things I came across new items as well as very old " working " items ....the lesson of this rant is nothing, nadda, however at the risk of sounding like an " older fart" I will say this...they just don't make em like they used too....the end.

Yeah ive had a few coffee makers over the years.. all crap..

So I stopped with machines and just use a Cafetiere.. Nothing to break.. has lasted about 10 years already :) (and really cheap).. In this case I really think simple is best.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VD64GA/ref=asc_df_B000VD64GA10753423?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B000VD64GA

Some 20 years ago the decision was made to purchase a commercial Bunn coffeemaker. At the time it was roughly $150 while the cheapies were around $20. It's still in use every morning.

Problem is, to replace it now it's about $500. Figure the percentage that's far over inflation for something that's technically got a right to increase with inflation. It's another example of the way governments - all of ours if we're on the Internet - figure ways to add taxes indirectly. (Reminds me of the tale of the frog who hopped into a pan of cold water on the stove and didn't realize he was being cooked until it was too late.)

Ah, well. I shouldn't ought to get "political," but watch it happen in increasingly hidden ways. The trend always has been there, but my observation is that it's increased mightily the past 20 years or so - and that's not just in the US.

m

IMO, added taxes are just a small part of it. I don't think (American) workers have gotten worse (higher priced, maybe), but I believe that in an effort to increase margins and reduce costs, materials and designs have gotten crappier.

I don't tink the trend is in coffee makers alone. My mom said to me, "now they make things to break after a short while so you buy again. The appliances we had in the 60s lasted for ever."

My mom makes her coffee on the stove top. That is labor intensive for some, though.

Regardless, I liked my old cheap Mr coffee 4 cup. Nothing fancy, just an on and off switch. It never broke and I had it, second hand, for 5 years, daily use. It is in a cupboard now, in case a coffee drinker comes over.

milod has the right idea. If you can, buy for commercial use and you'll have an everlasting machine. Maybe a "going out of business" shop or restaurant can give you a good deal.

So, what brand is it that you had issues with? I'd like to know so I can stay away from them.

I have a Cusinart coffee maker that also has a second side for hot water (tea drinkers in my house). It seems to do a good job. Has an automatic timer so it brews just before I get up. I can't function at all until I'm well into cup #2. Was about $100 US.

I met Joe DiMaggio once at a cocktail event for an old-timers baseball game, but I didn't ask him about what he really thought about Mr. Coffee. My buddy wanted to ask him something about Marilyn Monroe (almost got the s$#t beat out of him by Joe's bodyguards!).

We've been using the same Black and Decker coffee maker for at least 6 years now and maybe more than 8,it still works as good as it did when we first bought it.It pays to run a couple of cups of raw vinegar through it 2 or 3 times a year to flush out any mineral deposits that may have accumulated in the water lines.You can usually tell if a water line is blocked in any way if it takes a longer time to brew a given amount of coffee than it did when new.The coffee maker was on sale for $25 and the regular price was $50 still a lot cheaper than these new fangled Keureg and Tassimo (or whatever they're called)machines.I have tasted different and even regular coffees from these and can't say that I was at all impressed with them.I think that it's almost an "Emperor's New Clothes"kind of situation,people go out and spend hundreds on these contraptions and are bombarded with so much hype about how good coffee is from them that they convince themselves that it's the greatest thing too.

BTW: After you've flushed out the water lines you have to run a couple of pots of water through the brewing process to make sure that every trace of vinegar is gone,although just one pot may be sufficient.

i'm w/Milod on the Bunn, we just have the home unit but it's into its' 3rd yr already.

and in Bender/Mrs.B years on a coffeemaker that = about 9.

we literally went thru a maker every 6-12 months except one Black & Decker that lasted about 3 yrs.

It is no coincidence that Black and Decker make exceedingly good Drills, Power Sanders, Lawnmowers etc... :blink:

V

:-({|=

I think when it comes to coffeemakers there are a number of variables on longevity.

Obviously first is how much do you use the darned things.

Secondly is the quality of the machine, both the parts individually and the piece as a whole. Thanks kinda like guitars.

Finally is a variable that has me figuring I'm gonna have to take apart my nice stainless steel Bunn and take a scraper and file to the internals: Water quality. The water where I am now is almost what you could consider chemically pure but... you can't believe the amount of lime. If I were the "one cup of exceptionally expensive coffee a day from fresh-ground $800 a pound beans" guys, I'd definitely buy bottled water, aerate it, then make a cup. But...

m

Archived