Gibson Brands Forums

Any of you guys ever own one of these things?

merseybeat1963

In the reissue or original short scale?

If yes , how do you compare to a flat top Acoustic?

Ive heard a guy on You Tube rattling away on a reissue & I like it..it sounds like it feels flexible..

And I like my CES long scale..

Seems a good bet to get one maybe one day.

Ive seen original refinished good ones go for around $5K and used reissiue $3250..so this one is priced more like a nice original finished one..

I had a low level very old Gibson F hole my brother in law gave me , I think maybe it was 50's..no pickup. It sucked I gave it to a kid who wanted to learn to play..think brother in law got irked over that..but it was really poor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-L-5-Sunburst-refinished-1930-/271091250301?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f1e4c347d

This one (1929) passed through my hands last year. It had been in my buddy's garage for darn near 30 years. Totally unplayable. Sold it "as is" to Eric Schoenberg for a pretty penny. My buddy was pretty happy. I thought to buy it myself and have it repaired but I have no real love for arch-tops.

DSC01010.jpg

This one (1929) passed through my hands last year. It had been in my buddy's garage for darn near 30 years. Totally unplayable. Sold it "as is" to Eric Schoenberg for a pretty penny. My buddy was pretty happy. I thought to buy it myself and have it repaired but I have no real love for arch-tops.

DSC01010.jpg

Disillusioning photo...yeechs!

One that I saw sell that I liked was refinished by Gibson in the 50's & a much nicer but not original tailpiece that Gibson put on.

My kind of guitar a not strictly collectors thing with unoriginal but natural improvements on it. Sold for $5200 or $5400.

This guy was only the second owner of it and was a 1934 or 1935.

I suspect they are great but maybe they are kaka.

BK777 would love either of those beauties!

But to get it out here to Aust. costs a few hundred delivery, quite a few hundred insurance, 10% duty plus $270 quarantine fee.....

So it is unlikely to ever happen unless I have a cash bonus (Xmas??????) in my pocket and I come across one at my local pawn shop....

SO

I will be staying very happy with my 35 L50 .

Sound wise, I have not played an old L5, but what I have heard on the Tube, they are a more refined version of my L50 sound - not for you if you expect to play a beautifully sustaining version of say, "Stairway To Heaven", but great for, of course, fast jazz chords - and I like my L50 for country blues fingerpicking.

Here is my version of Robert Johnson's "32-20 Blues" I posted a few weeks back played on my L50:

http://soundcloud.co...g777/32-20no77b<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">

For the others watching that are interested in a 30's L5 style, the Gibson Custom Archtop site has a reissue listed but in the top corner it says it is 'out of production'. I assume if you are loaded, the Custom Shop would come forward quick smart!

http://www2.gibson.c...om/1934-L5.aspx

BluesKing777.

Archived