Gibson Brands Forums

Thanks guys for your help in authenticating my LPC

desertbluesman

Thanks all of you who helped in authenticating my Les Paul Custom a few days back. I also talked to a friend of mine Kenny, who sold those at Manny's Music and Sam Ash in NYC way back in those days and he also told me it was an authentic LPC. I hope the buyer feels a little better about it because I sent him a link to the thread and a bunch of other opinions including Kenny's which he send me this morning. He also told that any fake is so easy to see from his experience anyways and the one I had was genuine.

Thanks to all of you. Even those of you who doubted me somewhat.

post-49598-037748200 1354049568_thumb.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

I said I would hold my hands up if I was wrong and it seems I was. Frankly, the clincher for me was Pippy's post, he is, to my knowledge, the best L.P. spert on here.

I thought the headstock looked too sharp and that inlay just struck me as suspicious. Please don't be offended, I don't know you and was judging a tale from the interwebs, not a person.

No hard feelings?

No hard feelings?

Not a single one, I for one would have been suspicious reading that same thread starter from someone else.

I have a friend Kenny Wilson who used to work for Manny's Music and Sam Ash (The original NY store) in the guitar sales departments, and he worked there at the time of my Les Paul's date of manufacture as well. Anyways Kenny is a good friend of mine, because we both knew and loved Emily Remler personally, (Google Her) and we met because we both posted tributes to her on the Cakewalk forums, and hooked up that way, and then through phone calls etc. we became fast friends. Anyways I got an e-mail from Kenny today after sending him a link to that other thread, and he also authenticated it again. He told me from pictures I sent him long ago, when I got it back from my kid he knew it was an authentic Gibson.

So truth be told I wanted any opinion I could get because I felt bad for the guy who bought it. I was willing to throw back some of the money or all of it if he wanted a refund, if it was a fake, but once I saw it was not as told by others on this board and other places, I knew he got a real good deal. The serial number is a big issue because the instrument is automatically considered hot or coming from some other nefarious reason, and since the guy who owned the music store now sells Cadillac's for a living after closing the store 20 years ago or so, there is no way to get my original invoice from him. I used to buy all kinds of things from him and just take them outta the store on trust and send him checks or drive by with cash. We were long standing good friends, so trust was never an issue between us.

Anyways no hard feelings, I asked for and got honest opinions, and I thank you for yours.

We are good......

Thanks all of you who helped in authenticating my Les Paul Custom a few days back. I also talked to a friend of mine Kenny, who sold those at Manny's Music and Sam Ash in NYC way back in those days and he also told me it was an authentic LPC. I hope the buyer feels a little better about it because I sent him a link to the thread and a bunch of other opinions including Kenny's which he send me this morning. He also told that any fake is so easy to see from his experience anyways and the one I had was genuine.

Thanks to all of you. Even those of you who doubted me somewhat.

Happy it worked out for you and your buyer. As I mentioned I am no expert, to me the open book section of the head stock looked too pronounced. The others here are certainly more knowledgeable in this regard. No offense was intended to you. All well that ends well.

Hope you enjoy you new gear.

Now I feel bad that I didn't give a more thorough explanation of why I knew it to be genuine. Two words were plainly inadequate in this case. My apologies.

I'll seriously consider adding far more detail next time authentication raises it's head.

But I'm glad you can now feel comfortable about your dealings with the fortunate new owner.

[thumbup]

P.

Happy it worked out for you and your buyer. As I mentioned I am no expert, to me the open book section of the head stock looked too pronounced. The others here are certainly more knowledgeable in this regard. No offense was intended to you. All well that ends well.

Hope you enjoy you new gear.

I think it was the camera angle that made the headstock look funny, but someone posted another set of head stocks and they were identical to the one I sold, no hard feelings at all, honesty is the best policy, so your honest answer whether it said what I wanted it to say or not, was more than welcome.

Now I feel bad that I didn't give a more thorough explanation of why I knew it to be genuine. Two words were plainly inadequate in this case. My apologies.

I'll seriously consider adding far more detail next time authentication raises it's head.

But I'm glad you can now feel comfortable about your dealings with the fortunate new owner.

[thumbup]

P.

Yeah I did not like to feel like he got cheated, it is only money, and no amount is worth my integrity, not even fifty grand which would be gone soon, and all the gains from such money are ill gotten. I know this from experience, not because I read it in some book, or heard it from some guru. I learned it the hard way which sometimes is the best way......

Archived