Gibson Brands Forums

Mesa is making overdrive and distortion pedals now

Riffster

Not a lot of love for Mesa amps or products around here, they are great amps and sound incredible. They are marvels of American design really. But yea, you have to learn how to use features and a lot of folks prefer pedals.

Brand affiliation is a strong thing, I do realize that.

Marshall has amp models with a facefull of knobs that sound like sh!t but nobody knocks them down for that.

Marshall has amp models with a facefull of knobs that sound like sh!t but nobody knocks them down for that.

Consider this a knock down for Marshall from me.

The best amps are the simplest. Mesas are amazing amps, but they are over engineered. Would love if they made a no master, single channel amp.

My 5:25 can easily sound like a non-master amp actually.

Clean channel, lower the Gain to "1" set the power at 5 watts and crank the Master to desired volume and tube break up. I am telling you it is a beautiful thing. I have 3 one-knob amps and the Mesa beats them even at that game.

If you can play a whole lot louder then set the power at 25 watts and voilà.

That may be so, but I still don't get the excessive amount of knobs, toggle switches, dimmers, trim pots, lateral switches, horns, bells, whistles, and rainbows of jewel lights. Can you just plug in, turn up a single volume knob, and be rocking?

That may be so, but I still don't get the excessive amount of knobs, toggle switches, dimmers, trim pots, lateral switches, horns, bells, whistles, and rainbows of jewel lights. Can you just plug in, turn up a single volume knob, and be rocking?

Take a look at the Dr. Z MAZ18 !!

quote name='EVOL!' timestamp='1354118277' post='1289552']

Yea, I often do, my amp is set to what I like the most and I simply plug in and play. I do like having the ability to change my sound in a single amplifier if I chose to, to me it is no different than having an amp with pedals in front of it, after all you have to plug and tweak those pedals.

To me ll it is is a different approach. Mesa amps have features that some people prefer to have in stomp boxes. I have tried the usual overdrive stompboxes and none competes with the natural overdriven sounds of the amp itself.

The knobs and switches on these amps actually work.

I feel the same way about my Marshall JCM1 that I just got, no need for pedals, attenuators, boosts, etc. I like tweaking the knobs at the amp rather than the floor.

I like boosting a distorted amp (like a JCM 800 for example) with an SD-1 or a Tube Screamer, etc. Would I ever use a pedal to replace the Marshall? No. But I like hitting Marshalls with dirt boxes. Many of my favorite tones were created with an MXR Distortion+, but the amps used played a large part (and of course their sound and touch came from their hands). Randy Rhoads's tone for example, and Alex Lifeson's tone from Hemispheres to Exit....Stage Left. And then you got my favorite boosted Marshall tones from Zakk and Jake E. Lee.

It's all preference. Alex Lifeson may like complicated amps and rack effects, but I love my analog pedals into single-channel Marshalls and will proudly play Rush songs with it. I'd like to try "The Big Money" with a dry distorted Marshall sound ("The Glorified Chainsaw Tone") rather than his washes of chorus and reverb.

Evol, I'm guessing you really haven't actually approached a Mesa amp and looked at the straightforward layout and markings on those switches. Is it hard to figure out what separate 7W/15W/30W switches for both the clean and OD channels do? I think not. On a Mesa, they are quite responsive.

I'm very interested in checking out the tones and quality of these pedals, but with the tone and gain stages available on my Lonestar Special, I doubt I need one.

I like boosting a distorted amp (like a JCM 800 for example) with an SD-1 or a Tube Screamer, etc. Would I ever use a pedal to replace the Marshall? No. But I like hitting Marshalls with dirt boxes. Many of my favorite tones were created with an MXR Distortion+, but the amps used played a large part (and of course their sound and touch came from their hands). Randy Rhoads's tone for example, and Alex Lifeson's tone from Hemispheres to Exit....Stage Left. And then you got my favorite boosted Marshall tones from Zakk and Jake E. Lee.

You and me both, if you have a place to crank and push a 50 watt or 100 watt JCM 800 you are a lucky bastard, and I mean that in the nicest way. I use my Mesa 5:25 on the 5 watt mode most of the time and it freaking shines. It covers a lot of ground and it does it well, add a pedal either overdrive or fuzz of your liking and it is great. I have a Coffin Blood Drive (tubescreamer type) analog pedal and it rocks but rarely have to use it with the Mesa.

For now my JCM800/Silver Jubilee cravings have to be fulfilled with this:

80DEEE45-A59E-4424-B8FE-A69F03807B3D-831-000002732C81ECE2.jpg

Evol, I'm guessing you really haven't actually approached a Mesa amp and looked at the straightforward layout and markings on those switches. Is it hard to figure out what separate 7W/15W/30W switches for both the clean and OD channels do? I think not. On a Mesa, they are quite responsive.

I'm very interested in checking out the tones and quality of these pedals, but with the tone and gain stages available on my Lonestar Special, I doubt I need one.

That is what I figure too, why is so bad to have full featured channels with a set of controls for each. It makes sense to me.

This is the demo of the improved 5:25 and 5:50 series, it is a long video but it shows just how versatile these amps are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvuwGd2PpLE

That sounded good, but nothin' is taking me away from the Marshall/SD-1 combo.

The Marshall Vintage Moderns are great because they have a post-phase inverter master volume. They get that cranked 800 tone without the excessive volume. But they have a sound all their own.

Archived