Gibson Brands Forums

Jimi Hendrix Fender Strat guitar to be auctioned

Rabs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20521413

Jimi Hendrix Fender Strat guitar to be auctioned

27 November 2012 Last updated at 23:26

A guitar used by Jimi Hendrix in one of his most iconic performances is to be auctioned, on what would have been the star's 70th birthday.

The black Fender Strat was played by Hendrix during the Monterey International Pop Festival, before being swapped for another which was then set on fire.

Speaking to the BBC, Joe Levy, the editor of Billboard Magazine said that Hendrix remained popular because he "completely re-imagined what the electric guitar could do."

I'd rather have the one that was burned up.

You'll have to ask Dweezil Zappa if he plans on selling.

Assuming he still has it.....:-k

AFAI can remember from an interview with DZ published in a guitar mag several years ago;

...the pieces were gathered together after the Monterrey gig and, some time later, Hendrix gave the remains to FZ. (Can't remember why, though...)

Zappa rebuilt the guitar (using a replacement neck), used it for a while as his stage guitar but eventually it was sidelined by other instruments - mainly his SG.

Years later Dweezil found it literally in a downstairs (understair?) cupboard and asked his dad about it. Frank told him what it was and said he could have it if he wanted it.

By this time it needed a bit more work but it was fixed up and Dweezil has subsequently used it on occasion.

As well as the interview in the magazine I've seen a couple of youtube clips with him demonstrating it. I can't be bothered trying to find them just at the moment but they should be quite easy to find.

P.

I think Hendrix wouldn't be happy to see this happen. I am quite sure He would say: the guitar meant to played and not kept in a climate-controlled display box or kept as an investment (or object of worship).

If I was a great guitar player, I would pass my instruments in my testament to someone who seems to be a high hope of the future. Wouldn't it be in better hands at Frank Marino or Uli Jon Roth?

Cheers... Bence

...The black Fender Strat was played by Hendrix during the Monterey International Pop Festival, before being swapped for another which was then set on fire...

Hmmm.....

There's a little bit of confusion raised by that clip, Rabs.

The Lulu show clip (Voodoo Chile) is obviously a maple neck guitar, the second guitar shown (in the orange-lined case) is Sunburst and the third (also strung left-handed) is black...

From what I can gather it's the second (Sunburst) guitar which was auctioned - not the black one.

Here's another clip from Auntie Beeb;

http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/7597563.stm

"A guitar once set alight by Jimi Hendrix on stage has been sold for £280,000 after it was found in a garage where it had been left for 40 years...."

[scared]

All I found in my 'inherited' garage was a box of old nails. Some people have all the luck....

What they say is interesting.

It seems that this instrument (Sunburst) was set alight at a gig in the Finsbury Park Astoria (North London, chaps) a couple of months before the Monterrey show.

Was this the instrument that was swapped-over at Monterrey or was the black one used and someone, somewhere, has mixed things up?

A small point; I thought the guy demo'ing the guitar was unimpressive until I realised he was, of course, playing it strung 'up-side down'! Respect!

[thumbup]

P.

Hmmm.....

There's a little bit of confusion raised by that clip, Rabs.

The Lulu show clip (Voodoo Chile) is obviously a maple neck guitar, the second guitar shown (in the orange-lined case) is Sunburst and the third (also strung left-handed) is black...

From what I can gather it's the second (Sunburst) guitar which was auctioned - not the black one.

Here's another clip from Auntie Beeb;

http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/7597563.stm

"A guitar once set alight by Jimi Hendrix on stage has been sold for £280,000 after it was found in a garage where it had been left for 40 years...."

[scared]

All I found in my 'inherited' garage was a box of old nails. Some people have all the luck....

What they say is interesting.

It seems that this instrument (Sunburst) was set alight at a gig in the Finsbury Park Astoria (North London, chaps) a couple of months before the Monterrey show.

Was this the instrument that was swapped-over at Monterrey or was the black one used and someone, somewhere, has mixed things up?

A small point; I thought the guy demo'ing the guitar was unimpressive until I realised he was, of course, playing it strung 'up-side down'! Respect!

[thumbup]

P.

I can only assume they are talking about this guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVxvMBtD5Sw&feature=fvwrel

and with Dweezil.. this is the interview I think is being refered too

The confusion was all down to me, I'm afraid!

[blush]

After the first clip there were associated links and one of these was the one I subsequently posted regarding the auction of the Sunburst Strat.

I've just double-checked and this Strat WAS auctioned in London but way back in 2008.....

My Bad!

P.

EDIT :

...and with Dweezil.. this is the interview I think is being refered to...

Actually I've never seen that clip before!

Dweezil goes into much more detail there than he did in the interview I read and also the clips I've seen previously.

Thanks for posting!

[thumbup]

(and I'm glad that I rmembered most of the tale mostly correctly...lol!)

P.

It looks to me to be a late '64 sunburst Strat, strung left handed and burnt, possible painted black and burnt off, or black from soot.

Other than that, is there any proof that this was used or burned by the man? Found in a garage after all this time? really?

I have never seen any footage or pics of Jimi with a guitar like this. Not that I know he didn't.

I am not clear yet whether this is about a black rosewood-board strat or a black maple-board strat....if the latter, it would more likely be the one he played at IOW 1970 (he can be seen throwing it on the stage in frustration at the end, in the DVD) which was known as the 'Monika Danneman' strat and reputedly went to Uli Jon Roth after her suicide. The Zappa strat is mentioned in the Dweezil interview in last months Guitarist mag, and from what he says not much of it is original. Can any other forum member confirm what I think is the case, which is that Hendrix set his guitar alight 3 times in total (Monterey, Finsbury Park Astoria and...the 'Zappa' one)? The Monterey guitar was smashed to bits!

The black/rosewood Strat was the 'first' Monterrey Strat. It was changed before the last number for the 'second' Sunburst one which Jimi burned. This black/rosewood one was auctioned last night.

The Monterrey Sunburst Strat which was burned/destroyed was the one Jimi gave to Frank Zappa and is now owned by Dweezil.

The sunburst/rosewood Strat was (allegedly) burned at a gig in North London two months before the Monterrey gig. This Strat was auctioned in 2008.

The black/maple Strat was shown in several photos/clips but not, AFAIK, auctioned - nor indeed burned - (yet).

P.

Well, I sit somewhat corrected...I see a black late '64 or '65 Strat, and this small headstock sunburst. I'm a little embarrassed I haven't seem or remember the monterey footage.

I KNOW there is more info out there about which guitars were burned, I don't know it myself.

But, I am STILL finding this as a genuine Jimi burned/played guitar to be a little too incredible. I want to see more proof or provenence than "found in a garage".

Well, I sit somewhat corrected...I see a black late '64 or '65 Strat, and this small headstock sunburst. I'm a little embarrassed I haven't seem or remember the monterey footage.

I KNOW there is more info out there about which guitars were burned, I don't know it myself.

But, I am STILL finding this as a genuine Jimi burned/played guitar to be a little too incredible. I want to see more proof or provenence than "found in a garage".

http://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/2010/06/05/hendrix-burns-his-guitar-jim-marshall/

2294991466_416638c786_o.jpg

33621556-jpg.jpg

The first time Jimi tried to burn his guitar (London Astoria, March 31st 1967), he suffered hand burns and was hospitalized. Despite having bruised his ego a little, the move made Jimi Hendrix very popular internationally as an icon of that swinging generation.

With the help of Paul McCartney, the Jimi Hendrix Experience was given a chance to perform in Monterey International Pop Festival. It was their chance to crack the American audience, which had previously rejected their first single. There were not only a large audience but also many journalists.

At its finale, Jimi Hendrix squirted lighter fluid onto his Stratocaster, smashed it, and set it on fire. The above photos taken by Jim Marshall, and a film footage immortalized in the documentary Monterey Pop, made Hendrix an international icon. The photos later made Hendrix’s album covers and Rolling Stones put it on the cover for its 20th anniversary issue (below).

Jim Marshall himself was an icon. A confidante of many rock ‘n’ roll stars, he was given extraordinary access. He was the only photographer allowed backstage for the Beatles’ 1966 farewell concert in San Francisco. A balladeer of very visual San Francisco Bay Area music scene, Marshall also photographed everyone who was someone: from Rolling Stones to the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Led Zeppelin to Limp Bizkit. His many iconic photos included those of Janis Joplin and her whiskey bottle backstage, Bob Dylan following a stray tire down a New York street, concert-goers queuing outside The Matrix, Jefferson Airplane cover Volunteers, Johnny Cash showing his middle finger at San Quentin prison, and double portraits that brought together Joplin and her rival Grace Slick.

Jim Marshall refused to put any identifying numbers on his photos, making some of them almost impossible to date. Marshall died in March 2010. The New York Times put together a great slideshow of his photos. See Marshall’s other photos on his website.

jimi_hendrix_live_rolling_stones_cover_june_1987.jpg

untitled-1.png

and the one being auctioned.. and yeah I think its three times thats well known about

untitledg.png

...But, I am STILL finding this as a genuine Jimi burned/played guitar to be a little too incredible. I want to see more proof or provenence than "found in a garage"...

I'd like to hear a better explanation of that myself.

There's a fair bit of 'sleight-of-hand' (in one way or another) going around, it seems....

Four weeks ago I read an article in "Filthy-Rich Guitar Snob" (or somesuch publication) which centred on how the black pre-CBS Strat (Judas!) played by Dylan at the Newport Folk Festival has turned up at last.

The story given was along the lines of this; One of Dylan's entourage accidentally left it - in it's case - in a taxi-cab. The taxi-cab company (alledgedly) were owed money by the relevant record company. The article then rather smudged-over how the guitar was retained as payment for debts accrued. The guitar then lay in an attic of the taxi-cab driver (I think) and has just recently been 're-discovered'.

Call me sceptical but my guess is the seller is hoping no-one can doubt the accuracy of the debt/payment part.

What has been established for certain is that it is, unquestionably, the guitar as claimed.

P.

A little googling, I found something about a "press agent" (or something like that) having ditched the guitar in his parents house after Hendrix had hurt himself burning a guitar...and this is the nephew of that guy who "found" it.

This story is actually credible, although, I only read it on the 'net.

There's a fair bit of 'sleight-of-hand' (in one way or another) going around, it seems....

Four weeks ago I read an article in "Filthy-Rich Guitar Snob" (or somesuch publication) which centred on how the black pre-CBS Strat (Judas!) played by Dylan at the Newport Folk Festival has turned up at last.

The story given was along the lines of this; One of Dylan's entourage accidentally left it - in it's case - in a taxi-cab. The taxi-cab company (alledgedly) were owed money by the relevant record company. The article then rather smudged-over how the guitar was retained as payment for debts accrued. The guitar then lay in an attic of the taxi-cab driver (I think) and has just recently been 're-discovered'.

Call me sceptical but my guess is the seller is hoping no-one can doubt the accuracy of the debt/payment part.

What has been established for certain is that it is, unquestionably, the guitar as claimed.

P.

Is that the one with the pilot, or replacement pilot, that had the guitar? Concerning the one played at the first electric concert?

Yea, THAT is what I might call AUTHENTICATING. The question about that one, is if the guitar was obtained honorably in the first place. It looks to me that it was STOLEN, not left behind or given.

What I find odd, is that, with such IMPORTANT and potentially valueable guitars, why provenence doesn't seem to be the first order of the day.

I would think, that if provenence or proof could be established, the value would be MUCH more than just a "maybe" or word. I mean, if I had a guitar that was important and could PROVE it, I would prove it right off as I was selling it, because I would likely make more money.

If proof doesn't follow a guitar worth THAT much, isn't it kinda suspect?

And after seeing the Mary Ford/"Les Paul" white SG fiasco...especially how the guitar is AGAIN for sale after being proven it ain't what they say it is, it should make poeple wonder.

Is that the one with the pilot, or replacement pilot, that had the guitar? Concerning the one played at the first electric concert?

Yea, THAT is what I might call AUTHENTICATING. The question about that one, is if the guitar was obtained honorably in the first place. It looks to me that it was STOLEN, not left behind or given.

Yup. That's the one. Was it left behind in a private aircraft? Could have been. I can't remember now and the mag was jettisoned as I was taking a flight myself.

My guess is it might genuinely have been left behind by accident but somehow the finder 'forgot' to give it back. If all concerned are now in their seventies - or dead - it would be difficult to prove what actually happened back in '65.

Highly suspect, methinks.

P.

The Strat that Dweezil Zappa is in possession of now wasn't the Monterey Strat-more on that later-but was the one that he played in a concert in Miami.It was given to Zappa by a member of Jimi's road crew-most likely Gerry Stickels because he was the head guy and would have been the only one with the authority(or the balls) to give it away.F.Z. had to remove some of the original plastic hardware and electronics because it had been rendered useless by the fire.

The Monterey "sacrificed" Strat was tossed to the audience in pieces after his incendiary performance.In the intervening years several pieces appeared and were auctioned off.Seveal FMIC announced that the Fender Custom Shop was going to make a tribute to the Monterey Strat and set about gathering together all the various pieces.They discovered that a very large piece of the body was missing and hadn't been seen since the concert.A gentleman from Florida(I believe it was)turned up with the large missing piece and said that he had kept silent about it all these years because he knew what a priceless and iconic piece of rock history he had.He had kept it locked in a closet for all those years for fear that if the wrong people ever found out that he had it there could be disasterous results.Anyway Fender finally went ahead with the project and the Monterey Tribute Strat became a reality.

BTW there is a guy somewhere in the U.S. turning out really decent copies of the Monterey Strat for far less than Fender was charging for them-he uses Squier bodies unless another model is specified or for a reduced price he will do one that you own.He also does spot on replicas of George Harrison's Rocky.

If I read this right this is the guitar he played that entire show with, from killing floor and up to he switched to another strat for wild thing which he burned.

Then this is the guitar that played some of the best, most energetic and in "the zone" playing he ever did. especially the Killing Floor intro, Rock Me Baby and Rollin' Stone.

This would be like owning daVinci's brush from Mona Lisa...

The Strat that Dweezil Zappa is in possession of now wasn't the Monterey Strat-more on that later-but was the one that he played in a concert in Miami...

Absolutely right, Bonzo.

Thanks very much for the clarification.

I've been 'assuming' rather than 'listening' all this time.

[thumbup]

P.

Archived