Gibson Brands Forums

What Do Music Careers Pay?

Rocky4

Very interesting.

I think it offers the young folks here food for thought for considering a music career of some sort, the weekend warriors an idea of values and all of us a good look at what we're doing here.

m

Cool stuff here indeed, I do see some thing's that are close but not on the money.... Pretty much all the Orchestral musician's in city/national org's are Union people (my cousin is one) and they do get extra pay for rehearsal, some will get extra pay for studio time as well.

Recording (studio) Tech's can gross up-ward's of 300K+ a year if they are popular but the guy's that repair and maintain the gear are just regular "shop tech" type's and will draw a normal repair guy's pay. There's not a lot of movie's being made in LA any more, I'm sure there's still lots of post houses etc, TV's still big out there. A lot of venue's want all Union worker's as well...stage-hands, lighting opp's etc. it really depends on the gig and all the executive producer's/management that's working it.

Back before the 1950's every one worked for the studio or record company and got a regular pay-check, from the talent down to the janitor. Of coarse the janitor made a lot less then a top billed talent but before Elvis made it big no one but the company owner(s) where getting filthy rich. Bing Crosby was one of the few in the early day's of Hollywood to be an owner and performer.

Boy you can't get more general than that! Augison the IV makes minimum wage in a depressed country as a rock musician and Josh Groban makes something in between of him, Augison and say Gene Simmons. Two words people: IT VARIES and their is alot that goes into income that us non-musicians don't know about. =;

Well, actually living in and around the Berklee Campus, I can tell you VERY FEW people that attend actually graduate.

out of all the people I know that attended Berklee (Lots of people have "Attended") only two have degrees from there.

Both of them have done VERY well for themselves as true professional musicians.

You got that right Sinner13! I think they told us that only 25% of the people that I went to recording school with actually get the "real gig(s)"! Another 10% or so will get job's vaguely related in the field and the rest never have any thing to do (job wise) with the business.

I think myself very lucky to have gotten almost 5 years in a steady stage production job. I didn't make a good living but it was a constant job so it was better than the 75% that never get to touch a 75K + console after graduating.

I feel sorry for today's younger club players. The days of the steady five night a week gigs seem to be long gone. Right now in my small area there are over 200 "groups" that are trying to find work. Club owners are having a field day. They can hire a different band every night three nights a week...pay them crap wages and not run out of bands for over two months. It doesn't matter to the owners how good your musicianship is. They couldn't care less. They want a body on stage selling alcohol. This is really sad. At one time I made a comfortable living playing music both at home and on the road. Those days seem to be long gone. I'm glad I married a rich woman.

Well, actually living in and around the Berklee Campus, I can tell you VERY FEW people that attend actually graduate.

out of all the people I know that attended Berklee (Lots of people have "Attended") only two have degrees from there.

Both of them have done VERY well for themselves as true professional musicians.

I actually got accepted to Berklee. In my day all you needed was recommendation letters to get in. Many of my friends went to Berklee but dropped out. It was mostly due to their own egos. At the time I was very cocky too so I probably wouldn't have made it either. I did get into Eastman too, but that required an audition.

The one interesting number in that sheet was that on average a church organist makes more than the choir director. I play the organ for free but since I travel a lot we do pay someone to fill in for me. It's done strictly on an hourly basis.

I did session work too, which is very interesting. Time IS money so you get one chance to go over the chart and then you record it. If you mess up on the recording then you are done. There are 100 people in line behind ready to take your job. Tommy Tedesco used to write an article in Guitar Player magazine every month. He'd pull out a chart from a gig and explain what he did. The really neat thing was that he'd put in the hours he spent and the wages he earned.

Interesting list. No doubt, some people who are not big stars make a nice living........and then there's the real world of most musicians. I didn't see $40 + a tip jar on there...lol... [thumbup]

Man, I'd have been stoked to get $40 + tips at my last gig. I made $6 and two pints of beer... the money certainly ain't in playing happy hour shows (at least not here!)

Archived