Gibson Brands Forums

C64 vs modern PC?

FenderGuy1

Firstly, the C64 is not useless junk! it can be used for retrogames, MIDI processing and sequencing and making music, and internet connectivity with the right apps and the right modem, Im using mine with a Comet64 which is a modem that converts RS232 serial into Ethernet, so therefore, your argument is invalid, and im using a Commodore 1351 mouse with it too

-Sent from my 1983 Commodore 64 with a Comet64 modem

As a professional photographer I rather doubt any of my clients would have the patience to wait for their images if I was using a C-64 for my work.

RAM is Good. 300Gb hard-drive is good. Colour-corrected monitor is good. Shooting 'tethered' (camera plugged directly into laptop so images can be scrutinised, full size, in around 1 second) is good.

Every time I click the shutter I'm using another 52Mb of memory. For the last main studio shoot (no, not Farns' R8) I shot somewhere over 2,000 images.

How many C-64's would I have needed for that? You do the math...

[lol]

P.

Firstly, the C64 is not useless junk! it can be used for retrogames, MIDI processing and sequencing and making music, and internet connectivity with the right apps and the right modem, Im using mine with a Comet64 which is a modem that converts RS232 serial into Ethernet, so therefore, your argument is invalid, and im using a Commodore 1351 mouse with it too

-Sent from my 1983 Commodore 64 with a Comet64 modem

As a bit of a luddite I find all your technical talk a bit baffling.

- Sent in the year 900BC from my papyrus and stone tablet home hub

If a C64 does what you need, then that's the equipment to keep using. The price is certainly right. For myself, I'm on a Hewlett Packard PC and sometimes my wife's Toshiba. They work for me. I like to record my own music and video and I'm very satisfied with the speed and the end result as far as video/audio quality. Aside from a pawn shop or an Ebay-type place I wouldn't know where to get a Commodore 64. Anyone capable of connecting a C64 to all the necessary software and modems/etc is far above me in technical knowledge, and I salute them. I couldn't do it...... I'll stick with my PC/s. Meanwhile, you use what you've got available and make-the-best-of-it. Obviously, Fenderguy knows how to do that. Good job! [thumbup]

Sent from my wife's laptop as I rest my butt in a recliner.

Guest Farnsbarns

I used to have a C64. That was in the day when Bill Gates said, "Nobody will ever need more than 640K of RAM." :blink: I used to play F117 Stealth Fighter, and Gunship on it. I learned Basic too. Wow things have come so far since then.

That must be the most erroneously repeated quote of all time. He didn't say it.

I have a modem that you can buy for your C64 that's called a Cmet64 modem, lol look it p

As a matter of interest, FG1, could you explain what are the advantages of using a C-64 over a faster machine? Or are you doing it simply just for the fun of it and because you can?

Not looking for a bunfight, BTW. Just curious.

There's a world-famous 'Baroque and Classical' musical group, based in Cambridge (England), called The Academy of Ancient Music.

Central to their concept is the playing of their musical repertoire using period-instruments (or copies thereof) extant at the time the piece being performed was composed.

This is an interesting experiment and it is an accurate way to demonstrate how the music would have sounded to audiences at the time.

P.

As a matter of interest, FG1, could you explain what are the advantages of using a C-64 over a faster machine? Or are you doing it simply just for the fun of it and because you can?

Not looking for a bunfight, BTW. Just curious.

There's a world-famous 'Baroque and Classical' musical group, based in Cambridge (England), called The Academy of Ancient Music.

Central to their concept is the playing of their musical repertoire using period-instruments (or copies thereof) extant at the time the piece being performed was composed.

This is an interesting experiment and it is an accurate way to demonstrate how the music would have sounded to audiences at the time.

P.

Sorry my mistakes were the Comet64 modem, and look it up, damn iPad keyboard -.-

Guest Farnsbarns

I guess some enthusiasts have written a browser. Does Java run? Flash? PNG and alpha transparency work? I'm quite intrigued by the idea if an 8 bit browser. What's it called? I have an idea brewing.

I look at it this way for me: I bought one to record VCR tape headers on stuff I was shooting in the early '80s. But for work, CPM was far better at the same time period.

The "PC" for work purposes has grown from two steps above the 64 in 1981 to a geometrically greater platform so far ahead of the '64 for most efforts that there's no comparison. I built my own until the 486 came around and storebought would cost the same or less than doing so. Even then I'd bang out an occasional program.

As Pippy noted, if one does photography as we do, the 64 would have enough trouble making it's little 6502 or 6510 8-bit chip even keep track of all the stuff I've got. At home I have something like 4-5 terrabytes of personal storage. He does "good" photography with "bigger" images, but even my "shoot and run" stuff will run up to a GB or more per week. On special weeks, I've shot up to nearly 4 gb with only a 6 mp camera for newsprint use.

I think "you" Fenderguy, especially at your age, are making the best use of the 64 in that you're using it for fun in ways that are teaching you huge dollops of more generalized computer science.

My own objection to the PC and Mac of today is that both are incredibly capable, but are dumbed down so that anyone can use them to create crap without having a clue to how the machine does it. I found that objectionable with automobiles and I find it objectionable with computers.

(Pippy... it's like today's photoshop "experts" who wouldn't have a clue to doing an unsharp mask in a wet darkroom. <grin>)

<sigh> Alas, I can't think in 32 bit or higher machine language as can my under-40 brother. #$%#$%#$

m

Archived