Gibson Brands Forums

Led Zeppelin Celebration day.

LarryUK

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpigDGf6vXM

Is it just me or is Page's playing abysmal on this? His solo is shocking. Like a drunk playing. I'm not moaning for moaning sake here. I think these songs are classics and Zep are legends, but this is a step too far. It's like he'd not played for years and just walked on the stage. The rest of the band are tight and Plant's singing comes across ok. But Page! Dreadful.

To offer an analogy of the 2007 reunion (I saw it in theatre) Page's playing i.e. solo bits are mellowed as compared to a doctor's writing on a prescription, it's usually a scribble because you figure your doctor has gone through years of college, writing exams and be damned if your handwriting wouldn't be cramped! Page is in the million note club, come on, doctor Page. To be fair there is no improving on perfection, if you thought the album cut of black dog was as good as it could be then ... there's no improvement, Page can't do anything more for it, whip the dog. also Page's producing and studio wizardry are at work on the studio albums, the Zep live concert isn't/wasn't the same as the album, often there's three guitars layered on studio tracks and we know there's only one lead guitar in Zep. (Unlike Skynrd who could do multiguitar parts live)! The Page virtuosity is what I love to see, the beautiful 59' standard(s), the violin bowing, the doubleneck, and the theremin. BTW: I thought the misty mountain hop bits were dead on (but I agree the solo bits have mellowed)./

Plant was rolling it and got warm enough to hit some of the high notes toward the encore. JPJ looked the most youthful of the lot. Page looked pretty old in the eighties when Plant was looking young, nowdays the other way around, Plant looks content with age. meh

Hey I was reminded of the seventies when I see Zep again. My barber used to cut hair with a cigarette dangling two inches from my head (eh, you wanna a little off the top?) or let butts just burn down on the edge of the counter. ha not today bud. ah the good ole' seventies, the smell of leaded gas!

First off, everything Clapton has done since The Dominos has not done anything for me whatsoever. If I hear "Cocaine" or "Wonderful Tonight" again I'll go insane. Layla and after made him commercial. Most guitar players love him because of Layla and before, with an emphasis on BEFORE. Until Zeppelin came along, Cream was probably the best thing around (and there was a lot of great bands) next to Hendrix. And, Clapton and Page have influenced more guitar players than Neal Schon I'm sure (not knocking him, he's awesome).

Page was always sloppy live. The earlier Zep footage (the 1970 RAH performance for example) was killer. The Song Remains The Same? Not so much.

While I'v always liked Zepplin and Page's guitar work, I've always considered him the sloppiest player of the greats. It's just the way it's always been. When he's on, I think theres a raw emotion in the sloppiness that makes his lead work great. And when he's not on, well, it's just not pretty. What I really struggle with about it is he's playing stuff he created and has been playing for decades - how can that stuff go awry in his hands?

Plant's vocal quality is the other part of Zep that I've always struggled with. It's like a love/hate thing with me from one song to the next.

And I consider Led Zepplin one of my favorite all time bands.

Does anyone else understand what I'm saying or have similar thoughts/feelings? Is this weird?

I've never quoted myself before... and it seems a little creepy.

So I was a bit nervous about my post but it seems like while most of us are Zep fans, we also mostly agree that Page/Plant may be somewhat over-achievers as musicians individually. Again, I always felt the sloppiness was a part of the raw emotion I feel when Page is on (although never totally clean technically). And that is what I like about them. The writing and arrangements are absolutely brilliant. Think about that. Probably some of the most brilliant writing and arranging ever. The tone of Pages rig is to die for. To me, it's the delivery of the whole package that makes Zepplin one of my favorites.

Ok,, so I really tried to objectively listen to this so I could discredit the majority of opinion here that he sucked.

My argument was to be that they don't need to get up there and be a juke box for anyone and if they want to change it up,, have at er.. every band is entitled to that.

But damn,, there were parts in that solo that truly just plain sucked.

(specifically from about 3:48 to 4:10,,, ok ,, so there were 22 really bad seconds.)

I love Zep,, and I love Page.

Everyone can have a bad night. I think that was one.

I've never quoted myself before... and it seems a little creepy.

So I was a bit nervous about my post but it seems like while most of us are Zep fans, we also mostly agree that Page/Plant may be somewhat over-achievers as musicians individually. Again, I always felt the sloppiness was a part of the raw emotion I feel when Page is on (although never totally clean technically). And that is what I like about them. The writing and arrangements are absolutely brilliant. Think about that. Probably some of the most brilliant writing and arranging ever. The tone of Pages rig is to die for. To me, it's the delivery of the whole package that makes Zepplin one of my favorites.

As you've said. It's 'The whole package' that counts. I never meant this thread as a Page 'slag off'. I meant to emphasise how bad his playing is here. Yet people rave about him. The comments on Youtube are stupid. It's like he's a God. They clicked as a band, which is the most important thing. If you look up footage of recent Van Halen with Wolfgang and Roth, it's dire. He's like a pub singer,

As you've said. It's 'The whole package' that counts. I never meant this thread as a Page 'slag off'. I meant to emphasise how bad his playing is here. Yet people rave about him. The comments on Youtube are stupid. It's like he's a God. They clicked as a band, which is the most important thing. If you look up footage of recent Van Halen with Wolfgang and Roth, it's dire. He's like a pub singer,

As far as the new VH goes, they should sack DLR. He's done.

this thread is funny.

lots of things were great in the 70s and the same things are less great now... Led Zep, clapton.. Genesis (Nursery Crime was a brilliant album from outer space... but that was the Peter Gabriel period)

oh, but yeah we have the Rolling Stones still ;-) Are those guys any good still? HELL YEAH!

anyway. like Ive seen earlier its hard to live up a standard when its bar is set high.

I like page. He might not be an all mighty technical demon like Vai or Satriani or better, Zappa (I didn't see anybody mentioning him though that's been a huge influence too... genius)

but back in the 70s, not many could do what those guys were able to do.

there has always been some influencing guitarists. Nobody ever mentions Django Reinhardt, but he was a damn guitar virtuose pre-rock :D

anyway bottom line is the technique isn't all. The whole person makes the artist and its art is what's influencing. And this totally subjective as everybody has different sensitivity.

Oh and yeah, only Famous people will influence larger masses. Even though you're a genius, if nobody knows you, you are less likely to influence anybody.

and its not a matter of being at the right place at the right time. can be part of the equation, BUT its a LOT of work and commitment.

Even though it might appear easy, it takes a LOT of work, and TALENT to be out there...

So yeah Led Zep is F'in amazing (even though this video doesn't make it justice)

Schon,You'll never hear a bum note.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbykCJMeMVM

Schon in wrong key toward end of song.........and keeps playing in wrong key.....

As far as the Black Dog clip, it looks like he lost his train of thought. Page also tends to play a little cleaner than he used to and we all know gain hides mistakes. I'm not saying it's great, but if your familiar with Page, it's not that uncommon.

Just my take on this... I get the OP's angle and view on this and in many ways his point are valid....

But to say;

"As for Page. A decent rhythm player and a mediocre lead player. I wonder how many takes he took for lead parts? I've yet to see a live (lead) performance of Page that was without bum notes and competent. Another case of 'pretty boy wins'.

There really are lots of live solos by Page which are flawless and totally inspiring... As there are some real dodgy ones also...

An example of one of his highs, IMO has to the the live Whole Lotta Love from the Song Remains The Same... The Boogie Mamma sequence is truly awesome, no bum notes or dodgy timing here... There are many more but it's probably pointless in pointing them out as opinions have been made and posted and rarely are these changed... As for how many takes in the studio, I have no idea... Does it matter?

The 02 concert was what it was. A tribute to Ahmet Ertegun who was the founder of Atlantic Records. And Led Zeppelin were what they were. A bunch of old mates enjoying themselves onstage for the last time. Some punters enjoyed it and some didn't. Some of the guitar playing was ropey and some was terrific. At the end of the day, to have achieved what Led Zeppelin achieved in their career would have required a guitar player who was so much more than a decent rythm player and mediocre at lead... But they did have someone who was so much more than that... Oh yeah, his name was .... Oh oh, dont tell me, give me a minute.... Ah I know it was Jimmy Page...

We all got our opinions and this is mine, lets agree to disagree and enjoy the music, however much it differs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbykCJMeMVM

Schon in wrong key toward end of song.........and keeps playing in wrong key.....

As far as the Black Dog clip, it looks like he lost his train of thought. Page also tends to play a little cleaner than he used to and we all know gain hides mistakes. I'm not saying it's great, but if your familiar with Page, it's not that uncommon.

I don't belie this. I think it's a mickey take. An overdubbed fake.

Anyone can have a bad night. Not anyone would choose to sell DVD's of said bad night. ;) ;) ;)

That's what's odd. There used to be a website that covered everything Zep recorded for live albums and whatnot and pointed out what was edited......which was almost everything. Why Page would let things go unedited now is a mystery. Maybe he's got nothing to lose.

I will always love Led Zeppelin, but two things have eroded my unequivocal love for them:

1. Their seeming desire to turn every rehashed thing they do into a gigantic profit.

2. The fact that they stole - and I do mean STOLE - lots of other artists' work; they often did not give credit to other artists.

I dont know. It wasn't as bad as some are making it out to be, but how long has it been since these guys played together? The chemistry may have faded a bit, everyone has aged, and frankly Jason is no John. Jimmy Page has always been a little sloppy and that is part of who he is as a player. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. They are held to a higher standard than maybe they should for as long as they have been apart. I wont buy it but I'll watch it if it comes on.

John Paul Jones is still great.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know. It wasn't as bad as some are making it out to be, but how long has it been since these guys played together? The chemistry may have faded a bit, everyone has aged, and frankly Jason is no John. Jimmy Page has always been a little sloppy and that is part of who he is as a player. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. They are held to a higher standard than maybe they should for as long as they have been apart. I wont buy it but I'll watch it if it comes on.

John Paul Jones is still great.

We had an edited version of this on TV last weekend which I thought was generally good..I think they rehearsed fo 5 or 6 weeks to prepare for the show....so bearing in mind how long it's been since they played together (and with a new drummer) I think they did better than ok. Thought Kasmir was great! Agree with Bongoscot JPJ is always on the money.. Watched a great live concert of him with Seasick Steve recently ..he just doesn't make mistakes and seems to be able to play any instrument.

Archived