Gibson Brands Forums

Led Zeppelin Celebration day.

LarryUK

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read some of your other posts and you are a firm member of the nit wit crowd.

Listen, Jimmy Page is one of my greatest influences on the guitar and as a musician, but I pointed out how I think this particular version is a touch too sloppy (even for him). Geez.

YOU are the guy who cut down Randy Rhoads' classical abilities and shoved Tommy Emmanuel (whom I like a lot, mind you) down our throats while calling Ryan a RR fanboy.

YOU are the guy who preaches getting along with each other and not causing trouble when you do just that.

I don't mind cyberfighting every now and then.

Listen, Jimmy Page is one of my greatest influences on the guitar and as a musician, but I pointed out how I think this particular version is a touch too sloppy (even for him). Geez.

YOU are the guy who cut down Randy Rhoads' classical abilities and shoved Tommy Emmanuel (whom I like a lot, mind you) down our throats while calling Ryan a RR fanboy.

YOU are the guy who preaches getting along with each other and not causing trouble when you do just that.

I don't mind cyberfighting every now and then.

Jimmy Page has changed the way guitar is used in a band situation. His so called "sloppy" styl is not sloppy at all it is deliberate, on the edge, ready to fall down the stairs, and keeps the listener interested in what he will do next. A real artist as opposed to all those predictable shredders. That's boring..

Randy Rhodes has almost no classical ability even though he did give it a lot of respect. Do you know anything at all bout classical guitar and the technique involved in making it art? No way and please don't pretend you do.

Tommy Emanuel is an amazing player that many rock jerks know nothing about. Just trying to turn them on to something different.

I have turned over a new leaf and am tired of trying to be diplomatic to nit wits.

Searcy said one of his best friends was a Jew!! I have no patience for this racist crap any longer and will speak my mind.

If the Mods want to ban me for speaking my mind and calling out racism and artistic ignorance than so be it.

Jimmy Page has changed the way guitar is used in a band situation. His so called "sloppy" styl is not sloppy at all it is deliberate, on the edge, ready to fall down the stairs, and keeps the listener interested in what he will do next. A real artist as opposed to all those predictable shredders. That's boring..

Randy Rhodes has almost no classical ability even though he did give it a lot of respect. Do you know anything at all bout classical guitar and the technique involved in making it art? No way and please don't pretend you do.

Tommy Emanuel is an amazing player that many rock jerks know nothing about. Just trying to turn them on to something different.

I have turned over a new leaf and am tired of trying to be diplomatic to nit wits.

Searcy said one of his best friends was a Jew!! I have no patience for this racist crap any longer and will speak my mind.

If the Mods want to ban me for speaking my mind and calling out racism and artistic ignorance than so be it.

I never said anything about his style, but on here, it sounds like he's phoning it in IMHO. Excuse me for having an opinion!

Randy Rhoads did have classical ability, but it was more or less classical influenced, not so much classical on its own ("Dee" was his foray into that world). He was actually considering quitting the Ozzy gig and moving to classical. On the road, he looked in the yellow pages for classical teachers. He was brought up on classical. And, anyone who can pull off Rhoads, Lifeson (between A Farewell To Kings and Signals), Blackmore, Malmsteen, etc, licks automatically has classical ability.

I love Tommy (Alex Lifeson actually led me to him), but you shoved him down our throats in a Randy thread. Not cool.

I don't think Searcy was being racist at all. If anything, you're overreacting.

If you have a problem, go throw a temper tantrum. Just not here. Frankly, you seem like a rather bitter individual.

Jimmy Page has changed the way guitar is used in a band situation. His so called "sloppy" style is not sloppy at all it is deliberate, on the edge, ready to fall down the stairs, and keeps the listener interested in what he will do next.

What a stupid statement. 'Deliberately sloppy'? That's like Usain Bolt saying 'I ran backwards to give the others a chance'. I'm not knocking Page full stop, but his playing on this video is amateur. If you can say that the solo here is played badly on purpose, you need to take your rose tinted specs off. Even his timing o the rhythm is poor.

It never ceases to amaze me that people put players on a pedestal and look at them as Gods.

When Zeppelin came out, there were loads of bands doing great stuff. But they suited the record companies. Pretty boys that sounded good. How many famous 'fat' guitar players do you see? Leslie west? That's about it.

I've seen many brilliant bands fall by the wayside only for inferior 'pretty' boys to make it. There were many 'Zeps' in Britain at the time. Still are. If your face fits.

What a stupid statement. 'Deliberately sloppy'?

I never said he was deliberately sloppy. You miss the nuance of what I was saying. He plays on the edge and he takes chances which makes it interesting to listen to.

I was like 16 when Zep's first record came out in the USA. It was unlike anything else out there. Groundbreaking on the edge stuff.

Frank Sinatra did not sing like a young man in his later years but he still had the phrasing and style in spades. He defined a generation. To say he can't sing anymore would have been an ignorant and short sited remark just like how some nit wits state that Jimmy Page can't play.

I watched the whole DVD last night to truly give it a chance.

It had its moments and I can see how the live audience would have loved it but overall, it felt uninspired to me. I am not a Zeppelin hater, but i'm not a fanboy either. I have most of their albums and listen to them once in a while (who needs the album when classic rock radios play Zeppelin non-stop?)...

So please don't call me that lazy insult of "hater"...because thats not what I am.

To those saying things like "You forget that they are in their 60's".....well...no, I haven't forgotten that. If they are performing as Led Zeppelin, then they better play like Led Zeppelin. Especially since i'm sure those ticket prices were astronomical.

I don't think there is anything wrong with criticizing a performance. Everyone is entitled to have some bad nights.

They were revolutionary...I think they should have left sleeping dogs lie. Others disagree. Such is life.

While I'v always liked Zepplin and Page's guitar work, I've always considered him the sloppiest player of the greats. It's just the way it's always been. When he's on, I think theres a raw emotion in the sloppiness that makes his lead work great. And when he's not on, well, it's just not pretty. What I really struggle with about it is he's playing stuff he created and has been playing for decades - how can that stuff go awry in his hands?

Plant's vocal quality is the other part of Zep that I've always struggled with. It's like a love/hate thing with me from one song to the next.

And I consider Led Zepplin one of my favorite all time bands.

Does anyone else understand what I'm saying or have similar thoughts/feelings? Is this weird?

I do...but I think this is beause we are from a different time/era. In order to hear it or appriciate it, you had to be there and experienced it. This was way before this technical apreggio playing that is so domininat now. Back then it was all about emotion rather than being technical and sterile IMHO. The leads were to compliment the music/song rahter than the song/music complimenting the lead.

It aint page without some slop in the playing.

I do...but I think this is beause we are from a different time/era. In order to hear it or appriciate it, you had to be there and experienced it. This was way before this technical apreggio playing that is so domininat now. Back then it was all about emotion rather than being technical and sterile IMHO. The leads were to compliment the music/song rahter than the song/music complimenting the lead.

It aint page without some slop in the playing.

BINGO! I believe it does make a difference if you lived through it.

I was 13 or 14 years old and in a band and lived through the Led Zepplin early years. I remember going to the store to buy the latest albums the day they came out. Yes, it was emotion. Jimmy's style is his own and the band as a whole is pure magic.

It's unfortunate some people are debating, even fighting about this thread. Please slow down, take a vallium or a hit of mesculine, or whatever it takes and cool off. Maybe take a few days off from this site and come back when you feel better. Some of your opinions are being written like you think you know it all and no other opinion is correct.

Jimmy is a true guitar hero and genius. It doesn't matter if he has an occasional "off" solo today. He helped shape the sound of music and inspired millions, including me, to play. Probably more people than anyone else in history.

Finally, what's wrong with releasing a video of a reunion (with Jason filling in for his dad) of one of the greatest R&R bands ever? I think they named it appropriately.

BINGO! I believe it does make a difference if you lived through it.

I was 13 or 14 years old and in a band and lived through the Led Zepplin early years. I remember going to the store to buy the latest albums the day they came out. Yes, it was emotion. Jimmy's style is his own and the band as a whole is pure magic.

It's unfortunate some people are debating, even fighting about this thread. Please slow down, take a vallium or a hit of mesculine, or whatever it takes and cool off. Maybe take a few days off from this site and come back when you feel better. Some of your opinions are being written like you think you know it all and no other opinion is correct.

Jimmy is a true guitar hero and genius. It doesn't matter if he has an occasional "off" solo today. He helped shape the sound of music and inspired millions, including me, to play. Probably more people than anyone else in history.

Finally, what's wrong with releasing a video of a reunion (with Jason filling in for his dad) of one of the greatest R&R bands ever? I think they named it appropriately.

+1

I watched the whole DVD last night to truly give it a chance.

It had its moments and I can see how the live audience would have loved it but overall, it felt uninspired to me. I am not a Zeppelin hater, but i'm not a fanboy either. I have most of their albums and listen to them once in a while (who needs the album when classic rock radios play Zeppelin non-stop?)...

So please don't call me that lazy insult of "hater"...because thats not what I am.

To those saying things like "You forget that they are in their 60's".....well...no, I haven't forgotten that. If they are performing as Led Zeppelin, then they better play like Led Zeppelin. Especially since i'm sure those ticket prices were astronomical.

I don't think there is anything wrong with criticizing a performance. Everyone is entitled to have some bad nights.

They were revolutionary...I think they should have left sleeping dogs lie. Others disagree. Such is life.

Shred,

I hate to be a been there done that kind of guy, but I have a feeling you never had a chance to see them in person when they were on top.

If I'm wrong, please forgive me.

I saw them in '77 at the LA Forum. It was the night before their show when Keith Moon jumped onstage.

It was magical. I even remember freaking out when a roadie brought Jimmy's Les Paul on stage before the band entered.

I can still 35 years later close my eyes and ears and hear and see them playing Ten Years Gone and No Quarter. (Those two really shined that night).

Price on the ticket was $7.50. My friend and I payed $27.50 from one of the first ticket brokers (Raspberry Roach) in my area at the time almost 2 years in advance.

Getting off track here. Sorry.

But as magical and memorable as that concert was, I'll bet if I could see a DVD from that same night, I'm sure there would be some major flaws in Jimmy's playing.

I think the new DVD is great. It is Led Zeppelin just 30 years later. I'm sure 99% of the fans wouldn't have asked for their money back. Not trying to change your mind, but letting you know why it was great to me.

All that said, how come Keith Richards gets a free pass even though his playing has been sloppy, off key, and at most times and winging it, playing way less technical guitar parts, touring pretty much all of those 30 years Led Zep has been absent?

Don't get me wrong I love Keith. If it wasn't for him, I never would've taken up the guitar seriously.

Again not trying to be been there done that guy.

"'Remember when' is the lowest form of communication" - Tony Soprano

-Mike

Hey man, I get it. You're right, I never saw them live and like I said, the vibe was probably great at the venue so the crowd was into it. History has a lot to do with that no doubt.

I don't begrudge anyone for enjoying the DVD or thinking I am wrong. I'm not listening through the same ears as many of you.

Archived