Gibson Brands Forums

LP Studio wiring Issues?

LoverOfLed

Hey guys,

For about six months now I've been playing my LP Studio without a neck pickup. About 8-10 months ago I had a SD jazz pup put in the neck, and a SD Duncan Distortion put in the bridge (Great combo!!) but then all of a sudden the jazz pup started sounding strange. it was very quite, it had no distortion, even when at 10 on the amp, and it sounded like it was coming through a long tunnel, if that makes sense. About two months ago I had i repaired, and it worked for a week, and then it stopped making sound all together. I don't know what the problem is. My Bridge pup works fine, and I've never encountered anyone who's had this type of problem before. Can anyone help me please?

Electronics run in a line and go from point A to point B, given that something hasn't failed along the way. If you've had the pups replaced, check and double check all the points of contact along the way. If everything (solder joints) seem solid, check the electronics themselves....pots, knobs, switch, pickup...see what ISN'T working and there your problem lies. Did the work have a warranty? I do all my own work...like a Harley owner. It's better to know your equipment on a "personal" level. Study, learn, and be anal about your personal equipment...electronics in guitars are as basic as it gets. You do it yourself and you know it will be right, and if it's not, you have a better idea of where to look for a problem....remember, A to B....good luck.

Thanks everybody for the helpful replies.

Like i said before, the switch isn't the issue.

I had it repaired at the GC where I got (yes I had a warranty) and it worked perfectly, the way it should, for a bout 1-2 weeks. So far the potting giving out seems most likely, but wouldn't it still make sound? I thought the potting just gave it a different sound with less feedback.

and thank you valleybiker for the in depth response.

I do not have a multimeter everyone <_<

I'm going to try to go to GC today to have it repaired, I don't know if i can though.

Guitar wiring is simple, but if you have no troubleshooting knowledge and multimeter, you're at the mercy of so-called techs.

+1. you can get a simple multimeter at a home supply store or even radio shack for next to nothing now. VERY worth the investment in learning to use it.

Don

the only issue I have with trying to do do-it-yourself repairs right now is that when I do, my warranty gets nullified.

I don't think it's a faulty volume control either, because i was playing through a marshal on loud and it made some noise. the mid setting works too, and when I turn the neck pup all the way off it doesn't. So I'm at a total loss. when I get around to bringing it in i might just have the tech do a complete electrics overhaul.

the only issue I have with trying to do do-it-yourself repairs right now is that when I do, my warranty gets nullified.

As soon as you had your pickups replaced (didn't matter by who) the warranty is long gone.

I don't think it's a faulty volume control either, because i was playing through a marshal on loud and it made some noise. the mid setting works too, and when I turn the neck pup all the way off it doesn't. So I'm at a total loss. when I get around to bringing it in i might just have the tech do a complete electrics overhaul.

The volume pot is a variable resistor that has a sweep area made usually of graphite or carbon.

if you over heat it (the pot) then you can burn/melt/etc the resistive area inside the pot.

make a jumper and clip if from the "defective" pickups wire to the output jack direct.

The can be a simple alligator clips and a wire. This will send for the most part the signal straight to your output jack (as long as the signal isn't getting grounded somewhere)

Archived