Gibson Brands Forums

Took the Plunge!

Wondo

Make that 3997... Booked mine through Fullers. Not sure about the price I received but I was the lowest quoted to me by the US resellers listed on Gibson page. Funny enough only a handful of the resellers are on the net and then only about 1/3 responded to my email queries so the price I received was probably not the best of the best but hey... So let the finger drumming commence!!!

Hey guys, congrats on your purchase !

IMO, I think it's smart to list what price you got. Think about it, all dealers now pretty much carry the same price on all gear, no matter where it's sold and they (the manufacturers) do that as a protection to each of the dealers and the manufacturer carries the burden of setting the selling cost. If we shop around, do we still get a better cost....yes, but don't be unfair to yourselves by not discussing cost. Do you also realize that if a dealer sells gear at a lower cost than the manufacturer suggested them to and you take that price to a different dealer, the manufacturer encourages the second dealer to report that to the manufacturer. If you ask me that's out and out right price fixing and it's a way for the manufacturers to maintain a certain price level AND ensure you and I continue to pay high prices......that's just wrong !

Maybe you don't want to openly tell everyone the price you received from a specific dealer and I understand that, but be willing to send anyone a private email to let them know what specific price can be had at a specific dealer.

We have a right to know where we can purchase gear at a reduced cost and we need to put that back on the dealers to adjust their costs for us and not continue to be told what we will pay. I understand that since the DF is a new item and a limited run, we can expect to pay a premium for for it, so we're a bit hand-tied on this one.

I contacted multiple dealers in the U.S. and everyone of them said my cost would be $3349.00. Also, I was told the dealer price is $2300, which means each dealer will score $1000 on each guitar sold.....bottom line is that's okay to me, except if the dealer is willing to eat into their $1000 profit and sell lower to benefit a returning customer, then he should be able to do that without the manufacturer coming down on them and possibly not allow them to continue as a dealer for their particular product !......my .02 cents.

IMO' date=' I think it's smart to list what price you got. [/quote']

I really think that is between the dealer and the customer. I do not think it is fair to list a price that someone gets because a dealer may give a repeat customer a better deal, because of repeat business etc. It is each person's responsibility to shop around and get the best price. Price is not everything, I always factor service into the equation. Just my opinion.

Wondo, I agree that customer service (after the sale) is also a factor. I know that some dealers may also offer extended warranty, and/or guitar setups to correct poor factory setup routines and all of that has to be weighed into the price also.

I just wanted to point out we, as consumers, protect the manufacturers by not supplying prices to our friends and colleagues and that does nothing for us at the end of the supply chain. I happen to think it's very arrogant of the manufacturers to hold over a dealers head the fact that they may undersell another dealer......I think we should be able to find a better price and that's the way it should work, unless we have no issues with price and are willing to pay whatever the figure is. =P~

Hi all,

Ordered mine last night from gear4music.com this sounds like it is going to be an awsome guitar. I have a 2008 LP standard and the Plek set up is amazing, I tried 4 guitars in the shop and they all played flawlessly so I just had to pick my favourite colour, I am guessing the dark Fire will be similar.

Some people have made reference to Gibsons sometimes dodgy build quality and yes I would agree with this when you look at thier cheaper instruments but I do not think it is going to apply here.

I have had a delivery estimate of 19 Dec 08 and can't wait. I am guessing and hoping that Gibson will have shipped to all dealers before this date with strict instructions not to sell before the 15th, well fingers crossed that we in the UK are not in for a long wait for shipment to arrive from our cousins in the US!

PS - It seems that the standard advertised price over here is £1999.00 which is good value when you consider there are some original Robot guitars being advertised seconhand close to this price.

I really think that is between the dealer and the customer. I do not think it is fair to list a price that someone gets because a dealer may give a repeat customer a better deal' date=' because of repeat business etc. It is each person's responsibility to shop around and get the best price. Price is not everything, I always factor service into the equation. Just my opinion.[/quote']

Let me just say this much. Being an internet shopper I clicked all the US dealers' web sites advertised on Gibson. So those who did not bother to get a website lost out. Then I asked a simple question. How much? Lowest quote got my business and that was Fullers. You might get a better price elsewhere by calling direct etc. Some dealers also advertise lowest price guarantees so I think the price sharing thought is fine. If people don't know the price to shoot for how can they take the dealers on their offer to provide lowest cost. That's it... yes I bought my DF for 3K flat. Go Fullers go!!!

To each his own. Nice concept, hope it doesn't end up with the Roland Synth, Variax, or VG Strat. In these economic times to be experimenting with exotic models is a risky move, and since I am a Gibson fan, I hope they are successful. I will pass on it, because of the chambers and the high price tag. I'd rather buy another used or vintage one. I just love my '93 Gibson Les Paul Standard. I would love to own a Gary Moore LP one day.

To each his own. Nice concept' date=' hope it doesn't end up with the Roland Synth, Variax, or VG Strat.[/quote']

It really is unlike any of those, it's not modellng based. The tonal variety comes from pickup switching options and onboard EQ. It does provide an output suitable for driving a guitar-to-MIDI converter, but that's a "bonus" from being able to separate out each string to its own output.

I just saw Dark Fire in person for the first time a couple days ago, and frankly, it exceeded my expectations - and given the hype, I was expecting a lot =D> The piezo sound is incredible, not at all thin like most piezos. Check out my blog about Dark Fire here on the Gibson site; the next post will have my hands-on observations.

I ordered mine today from Guitar Center. I get a pro discount which was a big help. I own the first production Robot. I will upgrade once I see the price and whats involved. Congrats to all who are getting one. My guitar center is getting 5 Dark Stars in and all five are spoken for!

Ordered mine form Thomann here in Germany. They say they have arrived and will be dispateched on Monday!!! No discount though' date=' and the exchange rate is a killer, but who cares, you only live once!!![/quote']

I already wondered who bought that... now I know. =D> It was there only couple days. Congratulations!!!

hey, my wife bought me a dark fire on friday, at the guitar center in scottsdale az,they were not even selling them at this store,but the GM knows me and ordered one for me,if this L P is half as great as they say they are, this will be my new favorite gibson, and i have a few of them!

this guitar seems like it is a guitar players dream come true,i will find out on monday like all of you others who will get a dark fire also.

then for the next week or so my wife will have the bed alone, as i will be in our studio playing it, thanks gibson stoney

Sounds like some of you have ordered DF's and paid under $3K. I heard they were $3349. Will GC be selling under $3K? (someone said they ordered theirs from GC for $3K incl tax!) I didn't think GC was discounting the new stuff any longer since they were bought out this year by a larger retail group.

Well I actually got a chance to see GC's corporate email regarding the Dark Fire, their price was $3450 (I'm almost 100% sure that's what I saw). Anyways, after talking to the manager for about 10 minutes I convinced him to give me a fat discount so I got it for $3k with taxes included...I doubt this is the lowest price someone's got it for but yeah...I really like my Guitar Center's service, they've always been good to me :)

Got mine at 5pm EST. (Sam Ash NYC) Interesting note: The first one i looked at had the toggle switch broken during shipping. Luckily, we noticed before I left the store, but the one I ended up with had the toggle switch bent. I didn't notice THAT until it was back home with me. Looks like the cases are snapping/bending the toggle switch. I assume there will be a bunch of replacement toggles going out. Other than that, though, it's amazing.

Got mine at 5pm EST. (Sam Ash NYC) Interesting note: The first one i looked at had the toggle switch broken during shipping. Luckily' date=' we noticed before I left the store, but the one I ended up with had the toggle switch bent. I didn't notice THAT until it was back home with me. Looks like the cases are snapping/bending the toggle switch. I assume there will be a bunch of replacement toggles going out. Other than that, though, it's amazing.

[/quote']

Please try out all the features and let us know what kind of problems you might have encountered...if Gibson's going to delay it, at least they can fix some of the prob elms then right? :-k

Archived