Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson "Factory Seconds"??

trapdoorspider

39 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Look at the nut. It looks like it came from another guitar. It appears that the low E is not on the nut at all!

This has to be a gag!! If so, its funny!

🤣 Oh man, I thought something was off - no pun intended - haha!  Yeah, that nut was it.  God that looks like an awful job putting that in. 

Is it just me, or does the neck look like it gets wider as it extends up towards the headstock?  Could be just the angle of the picture perhaps... 

47 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

🤣 Oh man, I thought something was off - no pun intended - haha!  Yeah, that nut was it.  God that looks like an awful job putting that in. 

Is it just me, or does the neck look like it gets wider as it extends up towards the headstock?  Could be just the angle of the picture perhaps... 

Yes, it looks like it blooms!! 

I think it was a project from a high school woodshop class. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deeman said:

Is it just the picture or is that fredboard like a mile wide?

I guess if you like the guitar and it plays well and sounds good to you, great but I hope you didn't pay more than 50 bucks for it. 🙂

Looks like they installed the fingerboard backwards, probably sticks out off the edges of the neck

Edit: After a second look I guess the maker did that on purpose, since the inlays on the fingerboard are correct and the frets are in the correct position, too. Maybe they accidentally fretted the board backwards and just went with it🤷‍♂️

Edited by TheLeadFlatpick
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, TheLeadFlatpick said:

Looks like they installed the fingerboard backwards, probably sticks out off the edges of the neck

Edit: After a second look I guess the maker did that on purpose, since the inlays on the fingerboard are correct and the frets are in the correct position, too. Maybe they accidentally fretted the board backwards and just went with it🤷‍♂️

I think you might be right. That would explain why they blew the nut.

The headstock looks like a 3 grader drew a picture...

Edited by Big Bill
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Hooch said:

I was told this is a gibson but have been told it's not.  Any idea what it might be.  It has no markings or numbers 

Oh come on now! Think about it for goodness sakes. Obviously it IS a Gibson. It simply has to be.

Gibson NEVER put markings or numbers on their guitars. NEVER EVER. They are well known for keeping their name a closely guarded secret.

pIP.

11 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

I didn't notice the fretboard, I've driven interstate highways that weren't that wide.

lolz

70 through some sections of Indiana and then Illinois come to mind.  Some of 25 up north and 15 up there too.  We'll prolly use 80 this year out to Yellowstone, haven't taken that one in a while now.

rct

• 5 months later...
On 12/28/2019 at 5:14 PM, Tchime26 said:

I have a Gibson hummingbird given to me. Serial number bgn 690198   It has never been played. Do you know an estimated value?

Take it to Pawn Stars in Vegas see what they will give you for it, walk out and double it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I bought a guitar almost 45 years ago and was told that it was a gibson second (dove)! 44 years ago that meant absolutely nothing. Its serial number is 220375.  The sn can be seen inside the hole stamped into the bottom of the neck. Can you tell me anything about this still great sounding guitar, like valu and or rarity?

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...