Gibson Brands Forums

The I can't believe they didn't make it big thread.

PingPongBob

If you get around and see a lot of music in small spaces you'll soon realize that there are so many great players out there making incredible music. This is especially true in bigger cities (I lived in New York City for 12 years). But unfortunately there is only so much space available for "making it big". And factors such as image has a lot to do with it in our culture.

An argument can made however that Walter Trout has done pretty well. He played with Canned Heat, John Mayall and others and has had fair run on his own as a solo artist. Not bad for a kid from Jersey.

I love Walter Trout. Some "purists" detest the fact that he plays a little fast, but I enjoy that about him. As far as the thread theme goes, I gotta say Savoy Brown (great blues rock band from the late 60s/70s), Budgie, Ten Years After, etc. And although they've had minor hits and had a good heyday, I would also say Mountain, Y&T, Tesla, Exodus, Saxon, Cinderella, Kix, White Lion, and Badlands (too short lived to be true. When KISS finally decides to throw in the towel, Eric Singer better find Jake E. Lee and do a reunion.).

And this guy by the name of Richie Scarlet.....He used to play with Ace Frehley. He played on the Trouble Walkin' album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT8AjRIWfJw

This wasn't meant to be a Walter Trout thread, it was about who you heard or saw that you thought should have been more of general name as musicians to you.

Stein got it and I will definitely check out more from Monti Amundson. [thumbup]

Kaleb got it, though his examples are household names to me. And as far as playing too fast, nobody did it faster or sloppier than Alvin Lee. [tongue]

Come on folks, there's gotta be way more. I want to hear something that may be old to you, but new to me.

I'm gonna search youtube for some BB 'Chung' King to see if I can find anything that was as good as it was live 15-20 years ago.

This wasn't meant to be a Walter Trout thread, it was about who you heard or saw that you thought should have been more of general name as musicians to you.

Stein got it and I will definitely check out more from Monti Amundson. [thumbup]

Kaleb got it, though his examples are household names to me. And as far as playing too fast, nobody did it faster or sloppier than Alvin Lee. [tongue]

Come on folks, there's gotta be way more. I want to hear something that may be old to you, but new to me.

I'm gonna search youtube for some BB 'Chung' King to see if I can find anything that was as good as it was live 15-20 years ago.

Some people say Alvin was the first shredder (in rock music, at least). Kaleb thinks so.

Some people say Alvin was the first shredder (in rock music, at least). Kaleb thinks so.

You could be right. Saw him with Ten Years Later at the Golden Bear also.

Was incredible, but was already a guitar God to me. [thumbup]

If you google the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach Ca. you can get the rich history that building had.

But the city tore it down and decided a cookie cutter tourist strip mall across the street from the beach would be better.

Thank God we still have Perqs.

Here's the band out of St. Louis in the early 70's that fans and fellow musicians alike had all the greatest hopes for. Besides being great musicians playing killer music, they were/are great guys, just good ole home boys.

Two records on Atlantic (ATCO), tours with Skynyrd, Allman Bros, Outlaws, Charlie Daniels... and then a tour AS Gregg Allman's band in 1978 had them on their way. They had the whole town rooting for them, but just couldn't reel it in. As ALL bands do that only get that "taste" of success, they soon imploded. They still do some "reunion" concerts, and can rock he roof off anyplace.

Here's the "wiki" if anybody's interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mama%27s_Pride

Here's the band out of St. Louis in the early 70's that fans and fellow musicians alike had all the greatest hopes for. Besides being great musicians playing killer music, they were/are great guys, just good ole home boys.

Two records on Atlantic (ATCO), tours with Skynyrd, Allman Bros, Outlaws, Charlie Daniels... and then a tour AS Gregg Allman's band in 1978 had them on their way. They had the whole town rooting for them, but just couldn't reel it in. As ALL bands do that only get that "taste" of success, they soon imploded. They still do some "reunion" concerts, and can rock he roof off anyplace.

Here's the "wiki" if anybody's interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mama%27s_Pride

That works for me. NEVER heard of them.

Thanks for the education.

Archived