Gibson Brands Forums

Giving away my SG Special

Eric Koegh Penrod

Im always checkin out craigslist for the cheap guitar deals and I found this sg special and paid $60.00 which was too much but the dude was hurtin and I didn't talk him down. I enjoy "rehabbing" cheap guitars and making players out of them.

Brought it home and it was in sad shape, not only was it scummy but the truss rod cover, rear cover and neck plate were missing. It had drywall screws holding the neck on and two of them went all the way thru the fretboard. Knobs missing and broken, switch was junk....etc..

These specials are cheap guitars new so in this condition it was basically worth nothing but I like a challenge.

I took it apart and cleaned all the scum off, made a neck plate out of 3/16 aluminum. The neck fit loose in the pocket so I shimmed it with some thin cedar wood strips. new stainless screws and it fit real tight in the pocket now.

Replaced the nut with a Tusq, pulled off the cheap tuners and the rest of the chrome hardware and replaced with black hardware and sealed tuners that came off my Epi Dot. Replaced the switch and the knobs then found a truss rod and back cover on ebay.

Spent some time filing a couple of frets and did a complete set up and now this thing rocks ( for a cheap bolt on neck plywood guitar) It resonates real good and stays in tune. The cost stayed under a hundred because I had parts on hand already in my stash.

Then yesterday Im scanning Craiglist and came across an ad from a guy asking for a guitar to give his teen age daughter that is playing in a band with a borrowed guitar, He said she is keeping her grades up in school and he is unemployed and could not afford to get her a guitar anytime soon.

So I called him and offered the SG and he and his daughter will come by and pick it up today.

Hopefully the story is true and I will feel good about helping a kid to Rock on and I also saved a guitar that probably should have been tossed in the can........

Before and after pics....

8241974830_041b94a729_c.jpg

IMG_1067

8240907543_0cf109dbc9_c.jpg

IMG_1070

8241967566_aa2924cdac_c.jpg

IMG_1463

8240899125_9bd34407ec_c.jpg

IMG_1460

Then yesturday Im scanning Craiglist and came across an ad from a guy asking for a guitar to give his teen age daughter that is playing in a band with a borrowed guitar, He said she is keeping her grades up in school and he is unemployed and could not afford to get her a guitar anytime soon.

So I called him and offered the SG and he and his daughter will come by and pick it up today.

Way to go. Awesome! [thumbup]

Wish I could be there when you gave it to her, to see her face.

That's going to be one happy girl! [thumbup]

Way to go EKP!

Your random act of kindness will surely be much appreciated, and hopefully instill

that same sense of kindness in that teenager. =D>[biggrin]

Well I ended up taking the guitar to there house. Her father had not said a word to her so I text him when I pulled up to the house and apparently he told her he needed her help with something on his car, she followed him outside and I walked up and introduced myself to them and then I said hold on I need to get something from my car ( she still had no idea) I grabbed the guitar and walked back then I said to her that I heard she was in a band and needed her own guitar, I handed it to her and of course she was shocked and speechless at first then she said "Really are you kidding me?"

She was pretty stoked to say the least, she strummed it a cpl of times then said "oh my god the action is awesome!" this guitar is "me"!

She said her band has a couple of "big" gigs this month and a video shoot for one of there songs. My daughter was with me and is the same age and also into the same music so she invited my daughter to be in there video.

I told her that if she got a better guitar down the road, she should find some one else who needs it and pass it on....

-E

Now that's what I'm talk'n about!! [thumbup] Too often many, me at the top of the list, get soured from the "scams" people are pulling and don't feel all that charitable. I love to help people out and need to do more that is truly a help (hand up, not hand out). Merry Christmas feeling came early for you and an inspiration to Mr. Scrooge (me)!!

Thanks for the post.

Aster

I take my hat off to you sir msp_thumbup.gif

It occurs to me that, across the world, 000's of guitars must be thrown away each year many of which could be fixed up for very little and passed on to people who would really benefit from them . Actually, as I'm typing this it also occurs to me that giving a kid a busted guitar and then helping them fix it themselves would be have a double benefit.

We've all pulled together before to produce spectacular results - anyone up for seeing if we couldn't make this work?

We've all pulled together before to produce spectacular results - anyone up for seeing if we couldn't make this work?

Excuse my ignorance, but I do not understand why we would be "pulling together" for anything. And what is "this" we are trying to make work?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I just really don't know what you are talking about and would like to know. [confused]

Buying/acquiring old guitars, fixing them up, and giving them away is something we can all do individually in our own communities.

I've already done it a couple of times. I've also given away electronic tuners, and given free lessons to kids.

Simple - several months back one of our brethren was in serious need - lots of people posted to say that their thoughts/prayers were with them, etc. nice but don't make any difference in the overall scheme of things. A change in focus meant that the thoughts and prayers were turned into real help - lots of people stuck their hands in their pockets, even if all they could afford was a $/£ or two and made an actual difference. Action rather than words.

If you've physically done something great but many on here (including me) have nodded and said well done and moved on. What I am suggesting in simple - as individuals we look in our garages, talk to guitar shops, luthiers, look in skips (dumpsters), share between us, and co-ordinate between us to put at least a percentage of those dumped guitars back into the hands of those who would benefit.

This forum is a global community why not leverage it

Simple - several months back one of our brethren was in serious need - lots of people posted to say that their thoughts/prayers were with them, etc. nice but don't make any difference in the overall scheme of things. A change in focus meant that the thoughts and prayers were turned into real help - lots of people stuck their hands in their pockets, even if all they could afford was a $/£ or two and made an actual difference. Action rather than words.

If you've physically done something great but many on here (including me) have nodded and said well done and moved on. What I am suggesting in simple - as individuals we look in our garages, talk to guitar shops, luthiers, look in skips (dumpsters), share between us, and co-ordinate between us to put at least a percentage of those dumped guitars back into the hands of those who would benefit.

This forum is a global community why not leverage it

Now I understand what you mean.

But I don't understand why somebody had to give me a -1 for my last post.

So if someone does not understand something, and they ask for clarification, that is worthy of a -1 ??????

Man, there are some members around here that are so petty.

If you don't like me fine, but I don't see a reason for the -1. [crying]

Now I understand what you mean.

But I don't understand why somebody had to give me a -1 for my last post.

So if someone does not understand something, and they ask for clarification, that is worthy of a -1 ??????

Man, there are some members around here that are so petty.

If you don't like me fine, but I don't see a reason for the -1. [crying]

I,be got a horrible feeling that might have been me (cower) by accident. My daughter jumped on me as I was signing off and I clicked several times so could have clicked on anything! + from me will cancel out the -

Sorry you got a neg on that Brad, I think someone may have reacted a little too quick without digesting the conversation between you and Wig.

Charitable situations are hard to judge since there are many scammers and freeloders out there for what they can get. I think you just have to keep your eyes and ears open to situations that arise then go with your gut feeling.

I would think an easy thing to do on this forum would be for an individual to post up a charitable situation that they may know of and maybe list whatever parts they may need to complete a guitar, then whomever on this forum that had parts they could donate to the cause could do so. The person would need to document the build or repairs to the guitar and also the details about the person recieving the guitar.

I dont know.....just a thought.....

Good for you Mr. Penrod,I did something very similar to your act. All musicians should take it upon themselves to motivate and mentor at least one kid,you may be starting off the next Segovia,Romero,Metheny or Hendrix.Having an avid interest such as guitar and music in general helps a child learn to be patient and to learn to apply themselves plus it gives them a sense of achievement which boosts their self confidence.An interest that keeps them happily occupied also keeps them from getting into trouble....usually.The little guy I helped is only 11,has been taking lessons less than 2 years yet he has become so good that none of the instructors-even those who play in bands-can teach him anything that he can't already do,except for one classically trained guitarist.All the rest could take lessons from the little guy...lol.

I,be got a horrible feeling that might have been me (cower) by accident. My daughter jumped on me as I was signing off and I clicked several times so could have clicked on anything! + from me will cancel out the -

Thanks Wiggy! And to the two other people who did the same! I came out way ahead on this one. [biggrin]

No harm

No foul

No problem! [thumbup]

Archived