Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio or Les Paul Classic?

crazytrain513

I picked up a 2012 Les Paul Studio a little over a month ago. Recently however, I noticed that used Les Paul Classics are going for just a little more.

Should I switch it up? I hear people aren't fond of the Les Paul Classic's ceramic PUPs (my studio has BB Pros) or the "snot green" inlays, but at the same time, they say the binding and tops are an added plus.

What would you do?

I've bought 2 (pre-snot) 1960 Classics and no Studios.

I love the slimmer neck profile, I suppose.

The ceramic p-ups do seem to polarise camps. I found they just need a little bit of understanding and they can be great even for classic, non-overdriven Blues and Rock.

Flat-out with a hard-driven amp they can be a bit lairy...

As with so many things 'Les Paul' you'll have to try them for yourself to decide what YOU think about their sound.

P.

Why are Classics so cheap?

They seem like a really good deal for the money because they don't seem to skimp out on much (except maybe AA flame maple tops). Is the only difference between the Studio & Classic the neck profile, pickups, binding, and tuners? Because most of these are preference anyways...

Needless to say, I feel tempted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150959038306?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

I must admit that the slim neck is what i couldnt get on with?...Gave me tendonitis. Went to a 9R and never looked back!...

Interestingly, the current LP Classic Plus is available with both the '50s- and the '60s neck profile.

P.

I must admit that the slim neck is what i couldnt get on

with?

Gave me tendonitis. Went to a 9R and never looked back!

I come from a Flying V so a thin neck is not an issue for me. More the sound I guess and unfortunately, I cannot find one ANYWHERE to try out [confused] .

I actually really like the Classic Custom a lot too but I don't like guitars that are too "blingy" because then I spend too much time wiping them down and not enough time playing them and enjoying them (I'm weird like that).

I would say: keep the Studio. It's one sweet guitar. If You sell it, You'll regret it!!! Wait, don't rush, You'll always bump into something (new) that You feel the G.A.S. for...The best things come for those who can wait! Cheers... Bence

You Should Upgrade to the Classi. Binding and the inlays are thing that you can't put in a Studio. If you dint like the ceramics pickups you can change them anytime. Does your Studio has BB Pro? I believe they come equiped with 490's

Yup, my Studio came with the Burstbucker Pros -- they're standard on the Studio Fadeds/Satins. Good or bad?

I would say: keep the Studio. It's one sweet guitar. If You sell it, You'll regret it!!! Wait, don't rush, You'll always bump into something (new) that You feel the G.A.S. for...The best things come for those who can wait! Cheers... Bence

Very true btoth! I'm leaning towards keeping it actually -- it does sound very nice. I've still not found a Classic so haven't had a chance to try the Ceramics in it yet, though in the V they sound fine.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a classic with a 60s neck. i really like it but:

also because of the pick ups i would call it a "heavy metal" or "heavy rock" paula. i personally miss the les paul 'twang' in its sound...

though bringing my words into perspective, my next paula would rather be a zakk wlyde vertigo with emgs pu's than a traditional or standard paula. ;-)

in your case i wouldnt switch for a classic before not having played it and think that the sound is much better than the studio. and as you said, you like your studio...

LOVE my Classic...Now! I changed the pickups, to Gibson '57-'57+, and it's

right where I want it, now! I was one of those, who could never really warm

up, to the Ceramic's! Too "Hot," for me. '57's, are my favorite's, anyway. [thumbup][biggrin]

Oh, and I get along well, with most neck styles, having gutiars with all kinds

of necks, already. So, that alone, was not a consideration...for me.

CB

I played a Classic yesterday!

Beautiful guitar, loved the binding, the fast 60's neck and the beautiful top. BUT I'm keeping my Studio. To me, the Classic was just missing something... Wonderful guitar, don't get me wrong. But something wasn't there.

I think I may just finally be starting to bond with my Studio

Binding really isn't so much of a problem... If I can bind a Studio in a weekend (and I'm no expert) it can't be that dificult for your local cabinet maker.

You may have to make do with it being 1mm wider than standard on the body to account for the radius on the Studio top edge, but if you use the authentic "cream" colour with a fairly light coloured finish, it doesn't really stand out.

I also prefer the BB pros by the way....

I'm just annoyed that after I sold my old one, the only photos were lost when my hard drive died!!!!

Binding really isn't so much of a problem... If I can bind a Studio in a weekend (and I'm no expert) it can't be that dificult for your local cabinet maker.

You may have to make do with it being 1mm wider than standard on the body to account for the radius on the Studio top edge, but if you use the authentic "cream" colour with a fairly light coloured finish, it doesn't really stand out.

I also prefer the BB pros by the way....

I'm just annoyed that after I sold my old one, the only photos were lost when my hard drive died!!!!

How do you bind a guitar so quickly?!

Archived