Gibson Brands Forums

2012 standard platinum ??

abracadaben

So I ordered a 2013 standard. But after a while I saw the shipping date sliding sliding... now 60 days back ordered.

I called Gibson and they confirmed that nothing really changed since the 2012. Just new wood tops available.

So I changed my order to a 2012 standard AAA top. The only available was a 2012 standard platinum.

I checked and could not see what platinum meant. though it was $50 more than the 2013 AAA top.

any insight on what platinum means??

specs look the same to me. And with the AAA top it should be a "plus"

thx

Did you order from Guitar Center?

They have what they call a "Platinum Inventory" which is for guitars that they deem "exceptional". Think of it like that humidified "Expensive Guitar Room" at most guitar stores. The one with like 5 locks on the door and soundproofed walls.

Did you order from Guitar Center?

They have what they call a "Platinum Inventory" which is for guitars that they deem "exceptional". Think of it like that humidified "Expensive Guitar Room" at most guitar stores. The one with like 5 locks on the door and soundproofed walls.

Most of the guitars on the platinum site are GC exclusive models. Other than that, there's nothing exceptional about them. It is a good way to preview the guitar though and order by serial number and the image of the exact guitar.

Most of the guitars on the platinum site are GC exclusive models. Other than that, there's nothing exceptional about them. It is a good way to preview the guitar though and order by serial number and the image of the exact guitar.

well that's the thing. I purchased it on guitarcenter.com not on platinum.guitarcenter.com.

They might share the inventory. but the item was labeled "platinum". Though it is a standard with AAA top cherry sunburst and didn't see anything different.

So its seems it might just be a way to raise the price tag. Otherwise they just had 2012 standard AA top in non-platinum...

but the 2012 standard AAA top platinum is more expensive than the 2013 AAA top non platinum... by like $300... go figure?!?

I ended up getting a good deal on it but I found the concept a little like a rip off in the first place. Unless I am missing something that platinum has that I don't know off. Oh well 2012 standard AAA top cherry SB was in stock, not the 2013? does that make it premium lol?

Archived