Gibson Brands Forums

Original 60s Hummingbird Pickguard

groovadelic

Boy, there's a HUGE difference in the quality of the detailing on the vintage PG vs. the modern one! The modern one, shall we say politely, seems to be less finely detailed compared to the vintage one. How could they get this so wrong? The new one looks absolutely fake by comparison.

How do you reglue this? And - do you use clamps to secure it in place?

I'm just using spray tack glue and some weighty objects to secure it. Clamps are definitely the way to go, but I don't have any.

Original, , , !? which year and why off. . .[/size][/font]

1967. The pickguard has been lifting at a couple of edges just enough where I knew it had to be done.

I love the examples where the whites have turned yellow or are creamed down. Don't know which factors play in, nicotine ?

The 1967 of the thread is perfectos, but there's another from that year on the Bay right now where the whites are much more accentuated.

Though born in the same period, others f.x. early models, vary too.

Although I prefer the burst more amber, the 1964 in Duluths gallery might be the quintessential 60's Bird for me - not least guard-wise.

JC – not to be frugal, but have to say your flora-fauna seems a bit over-painted. If it's no issue in your camp, then of course it's no issue.

JC – not to be frugal, but have to say your flora-fauna seems a bit over-painted. If it's no issue in your camp, then of course it's no issue.

That was my point, really. The subtlety of the 60's PG decoration is much more appealing to my eye. Are those engraved, or what? Are the new ones engraved, or just silkcreened on the surface?

That was my point, really. The subtlety of the 60's PG decoration is much more appealing to my eye. Are those engraved, or what? Are the new ones engraved, or just silkcreened on the surface?

@Nick & Em7 ,

I really take no offense =D. it is a reissue after all ... you guys are correct the new ones pale in comparison to the delicate originals =D

so really no issue at all . I get that the originals had magic and I respect that =D .

I actually have a bunch of photos of vintage gibsons on my ipod I love looking at the hbirds

JC

EA ,

I think you could be right mine being a lefty could not be the best version to compare here is another righty TV :

JC

JC,

Sorry, but I think you got the short end of the stick on that pickguard. For what you probably paid for the guitar, I think you deserve better, and I would be sorely tempted to complain to someone. They look like they were done by two different people!

I'm just using spray tack glue and some weighty objects to secure it. Clamps are definitely the way to go, but I don't have any.

I'm surprised you aren't using the 3M adhesive sheets, which Gibson uses now, and which seem to work quite well.

If you are going to use weights, by the way, a good way to do that is to cut a very slightly oversized "pickguard" out of plywood, set that over the guard, and put your weights on top of that. It really can be hard to get the right amount of pressure and good pressure distribution without clamps and backing blocks, particularly if you are trying to flatten a warped pickguard.

I would not put a lot of weight on that, by the way.

JC,

Sorry, but I think you got the short end of the stick on that pickguard. For what you probably paid for the guitar, I think you deserve better, and I would be sorely tempted to complain to someone. They look like they were done by two different people!

Nick ,

If I remember correctly Jeremy said they didn't normally do lefty hummingbird guards in Red ... so I believe this was done without a mold .

Anne (Bob R's wife) has the twin to my hbird but her's is a honeyburst with a brown guard . I'll see if Bob or Anne can get a pic of the twin for comparison .I remember Jeremy told me he had to ask this red guard as a favor to someone at Bozeman .I'm not bothered by it at all. I think Robi Johns said they had found the original mold in which the 60's guards were made ... but only for righty's lol .

I PM'd Bob R .

I think the excess of paint could be a result of the custom/hand done job

JC

Nice to see 'through' the original guard like that.

Interesting 'variety' of HB guard materials over the years.

My previous 2010 HB classic had a softish guard that had more of a faux turtleshell look and had the image printed below the surface.

The one on my 2011 TV, is a similar reddish, honey-clear, material but is is void of those 'swirls' seen in the original, wonder if those developed over time?

6826937274_e38facbf6b_b.jpg

HB_TV_Pickguard by bobbyjeepyj, on Flickr

Yeah, I love it how the paintwork fades into a consistent, warm yellow over time. I wonder if it could be an idea for the TV models to be painted wholy in yellow, I love that look.

With your paintwork JC, the problem is they used a thicker brush than should be and hence why its so blotchy and thick.

I love the examples where the whites have turned yellow or are creamed down. Don't know which factors play in, nicotine ?

If you are talking about the binding - generally that is just the lacquer aging although a few coats of nicotene can come into play. Back in the good old days, even if you did not smoke, it was hard to avoid acuumulating the stuff on your guitar if you gigged. You will often see the binding scraped bringing it back to white when a top is refinished.

Yeah, I love it how the paintwork fades into a consistent, warm yellow over time. I wonder if it could be an idea for the TV models to be painted wholy in yellow, I love that look.

More yellowish whites could be something for the TVs to come. Guess most here have forgotten, but I added some cream colour here and there on my guard in the spring.

Very little, but it kinda worked (bridged the titatium-white/curry-sauce-yellow).

The ol swirls should be welcome too.

JC – you could remove a bit of the paint with the right material – simply thin it out. Then again it doesn't seem to represent a prob in your camp.

Archived