Gibson Brands Forums

The End of Microsoft is Imminent?

bluesguitar65

It seems like Apple is dominating the computer tech world and businesses are switching to apple. Even Microsoft Office, the business softare standard, is in jeopardy. Xbox seems to be the shinning light for the company now.

Here is the article....very interesting reading.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/steve-ballmer-s-nightmare-is-coming-true-181558610.html

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, apple is killIng itself with frivolous patents and lawsuits. Also, they're too expensive for someone who is smart with their money. Also, I hate to break it to you, but it's all the same components, you're just paying for a looking laptop, with a terrible design. They're also absolute **** to repair, taking off the whole bottom to get to a dead hdd sucks. If your RAM dies and you have the new mbp, you best have a warranty, or else you're up creek with a turd for a paddle. I could go on and on, but I think I'll pass the mic to tman.

Not gonna happen. MS has too many business applications that Apple does not have....mail servers, collaboration servers, system management servers. I work in IT and I can tell you that businesses may be switching to Mac's (Very few actually are) but thats on the client side only. The backoffice and datacenter all work on MS.

Hmm im not sure about this...

Windows 8 is going down well from what I can see (I mean its only a $15 update).. Its way to early to tell with that and the surface. But then Windows 7 is still good and going strong so most people dont need it anyway and wont till they get a touch screen device.

However everyone I know who works within this sort of field HATES Apple.. Why. Cos of their prices and cos of stuff like the fact that they released the new Ipad not long after the last one which pissed alot of people off. And their Ipad and Iphone tech is now standing still where others are improving. The Iphone 5 was a huge dissapointment and the new Ipads not much better.

But the main reason being that the Iphone and Ipad are so closed off with regards to how you personalise them. And further to that they have stifled developers by cutting off the third party tools for the IOS platform in the name of security (which really upset the development community).

Apple have always had the best designed products that are very simple too use. The problem is that they cost at least twice as much.

As for business... Yeah theres alot more Ipads and Iphones around as they are simple and safe so it makes sense. But the cost of their PCs make them too expensive for most companies (maybe banks can afford them and places like that).

BUT these sort of predictions are shaky at best. They even admit in the article that they predicted all of this last year and none of it came true. The tech industry is growing and evolving so fast no one can predict whats going to happen (if you could, you could make a ton of money out of that :))

On top of all of this there is stuff in the works at the moment with Sky and companies like that, thats going to possibly change everyting again in the next year or so (android sky boxes with web surfing, mail and gaming capabilities).

Only time will tell :) Personally I think that we are heading to a small box or even something you wear on your body that does everything and connects to everything (we arnt really that far away from that now). Its all about the user interface.

I think we are in the middle of a reshuffling with both both Apple and Microsoft at risk of losing market shares. Microsoft just came out with a tablet device. Welcome to 2012, Microsoft! On Apple's side (and I am proud Mac user), who is going to push forward new innovations now that Steve Jobs has passed away? It is true that the business world has been Windows for so long it is hard to break away, but a lot of the big boys have or are going Linux on the server side. Consumers that can afford the price tag are going either Mac or, on the more affordable side, Google OS. Windows on a smart phone or tablet? [lol] [lol]

Guest Farnsbarns

Like I said, you guys are so focused on CLIENT computing. Apple has NOTHING in the datacenter...

While I'm sure Parallels would disagree I think this sentiment is right. Microsoft are the market leader on the client side by a huge margin and when it comes to enterprise level server solutions there is no visible competition. It's a different story on the web with over 80% of web servers running Linux distro's of one flavor or another.

Despite others increasing market share the market itself continues to grow so rapidly that Microsoft's share continues to produce growing revenue.

Windows 8 is also revolutionary, as a die hard Android/Linux advocate I have to accept that windows 8 is the best overall solution for home and mobile computing because it has a very clever interface and moves seamlessly from desktop to tablet to phone and offers a unified experience. If they can just overcome the reluctance of devs to produce the same kind of throw away priced mobile apps found on Android and iOS I think they've git it made. Look out Apple, I think Microsoft wants it's ball back.

I tried Windows 8. Hated it. Couldn't figure out how to do the most basic tasks.

You didn't try hard enough. Windows 8 is as simple as it gets. I've had it installed on my computer since day one. I'm a power user but even someone with basic knowledge shouldn't have too much trouble figuring it out.

What were you trying to do that you could not?

Did you use it on a touchscreen or tablet? Thats what its made for, i don't recommend it for anything else...shouldn't even be called Windows 8!

I thought this at first as well but when I started using it on my desktop I found that it's basically Windows 7 with some GUI changes and performance upgrades.

I work in Corporate IT for a very large payroll provider (you probably can guess which one), and in the last year, we are now allowed to replace our off-lease PC notebooks with MacBooks, and replace our Blackberries with iPhones. The project I am on right now offers browser based (and mobile) Payroll and HR, supporting IE, Firefox, Chrome, and yes, Safari.

This said, unless MS decides to stop selling Exchange, Visual Studio or SQL Server, they're not going anywhere.

-Don

You didn't try hard enough.

This is exactly my point. You shouldn't need to try hard to do something basic.

What were you trying to do that you could not?

Don't remember but it wasn't an advanced task. It was over a month ago..

Either way...poor first impression means I will resist the upgrade at work as long as I possibly can citing productivity as the reason. :)

But hey...why don't you educate me? What are the benefits of this OS to you? Sell me on it. And if you can, let me know why they have chosen to have different icons being a different size and shape. Seems silly to me.

Not gonna happen. MS has too many business applications that Apple does not have....mail servers, collaboration servers, system management servers. I work in IT and I can tell you that businesses may be switching to Mac's (Very few actually are) but thats on the client side only. The backoffice and datacenter all work on MS.

I'd agree 100%.

I think it would be more accurate to say that businesses are allowing more Macs into the workspace, or at least that's what I'm seeing.

I'm still using 7 so I don't know where the option is but I've read you can go back to a basic layout somewhere in the settings.

I think thats only in the Pro version.. So if it wasnt he wouldnt have had that option.

Archived