Gibson Brands Forums

Tried two 50's Gibson J200's at Lark St Music.

A sunburst, I think it was a 1954 and a Natural 1959.

The 54' ? was not good and had a screw through the bridge behind the saddle for some reason.

The 59' was really excellent playing and sounding. I think this is a laminate body.. Such plain woods used on the natural but wonderfull sounding.

What struck me about both guitars was the mustache bridge was noticably lower than on a new J200..(thinner)

Were the bridges lower in the early j200's or have they been reshaped over the years downwards to clear for lower action due to(4 Ribbon) Bridge being in the way ?

They both looked original..if so, Bozeman is making bridges taller.

On mine the saddle is nearly down to the brige to get the very low action I require.

The older bridges seemed to have a more elegant, moustache-shaped ribbon-of-rosewood shape to them. More nicely detailed. To the more opposite extreme, have a look at the plank

of 'rose used in the Epiphone EJ-200.

The older bridges seemed to have a more elegant, moustache-shaped ribbon-of-rosewood shape to them. More nicely detailed. To the more opposite extreme, have a look at the plank

of 'rose used in the Epiphone EJ-200.

That Epiphone bridge is not very pretty, and it's hard to believe that bridge mass wouldn't have a significant damping effect on the top. But it's an Epiphone, not a Gibson.....

That Epiphone bridge is not very pretty, and it's hard to believe that bridge mass wouldn't have a significant damping effect on the top. But it's an Epiphone, not a Gibson.....

True enough. Just making the contrast at the extreme other end of the spectrum. As functional guitars, the Epi's are up to the task at one tenth the price, but they're the gateway drug of super jumbos... Sooner or later you'll want to bump things up a notch!

Oh yeah, back on topic, I seem to recall seeing some contemporary (early) Bozeman super jumbo's with lower, more radiused bridges, as well.

It just occured to me I was comparing my Bozeman 2 Ribbon & a 2 Ribbon that was in that shoppe..to the 4 ribbon on old ones..

Im not sure if the modern 4 ribbon is same height as modern 2 Ribbon..if yes..

Making it lower would be much better & definately the bridge needs some curve to the top edge of mustache to look better.

It has been looking like it is just sliced off a machine with no hand shaping.That mustache detail is meant to be a focal point like a little sculpture.