Gibson Brands Forums

J100 xtra hog

Motherofpearl

I have one, a 94 model, and it has become my favourite guitar. It doesn`t sound the same as my 2010 J-200, more like a cross between that an a J-45, if that makes sense. Big warm bass, zingy trebles, but emphasis on the mid range. surprisingly versatile, and the guitar I reach for most often.

However they do vary, as my friend has a 93, which isn`t quite as good as mine in the sound department.

The Bubinga backed version is also a very nice guitar, and worth searching out too.

Steve.

I play a little bit of everything really, but mainly fingerpicking and strumming, and it excels at strumming. As I say though, they do vary. 93-95 were years where Bozeman ramped up production of guitars, what with the centennary in 94. Various forum members feel that quality may have suffered around that time. This may be true, but even so there are still some great Gibson`s out there from the 93/94 period, and I would like to think my J-100 Xtra is one of them.

The Mahogany backed version was available 91/92 where it looked much like the original 1938 version (Without the stairstep headstock), then in 93 the J-100 Xtra was relased looking very much like a plain Jane version of the J-200 but obviously part of that family. This version lasted until about 97, with the next incarnation from about 99-2005? having Maple B&S. This was then followed by the Bubinga backed model from 2005-7.

In the centennary year of 94 Gibson did a special run of 100, 1938 SJ-100 reissues that had Mahogany B&S as well as the stairstep peghead. There were also a few J-100 Xtra`s that had Rosewood B&S released in 95 too.

Try some if you can, they can be great.

Steve.

The one I'm looking at is the 93 on eBay has the banner on the headstock. Can't play any none are near by. I'm a big fan of the sj200 I've had quite a few incl a tv which I still have. But price wise this one is right in my budget about now and would love to try one with hog b/s. but as you say it may be too risky because it is a 93.

That`s a fine looking 93, in very good condition, it could be worth a punt for you. Mine being a 94 doesn`t have the script logo and banner h/stock. If it`s not for you I am sure you could move it on easily enough.

One thing I will say, is that you have to play them a lot, as mine seems to improve the more I play it.

I have played 5 J-100`s over the last couple of years. Mine which is really nice, two other 94`s they had over at Frailers (Runcorn) about 3 months ago, one of which was pretty close to mine, the other which was good, but just didn`t feel as comfortable. My friends 93 which again is good(It has had a couple of back crack repairs), and infact has a fabulous low E string, but just doesn`t sound quite as balanced in the mid range. The other one I have played was a 2006 J-100 Bubinga, also at Frailers, which impressed me so much that I went back a week later to buy it, but alas it had gone!

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Steve.

The condition on that '93 is pretty amazing, but, wow, that dark walnut stained bridge is a bit much. Speaking of much, did you see the '91 that recently went unsold?

1991 J-100 link

Much closer to the trim level of the '200, bird's beak fretboard binding & all. The ding on the headstock is barely

noticeable, and the more serious ding on the back of the neck down by the heel would not be too much in the way, visually, or from a tactile sense. <- only serves to lower the $. Seller would probably entertain an offer of $1250(?).

From a tone standpoint, I find the J-100 mahogany to be about two-thirds super jumbo/J-200 sound (hard to overcome that

huge box o'wood & scale length), and one-third J-45(short-scale 'hog) sound. The video posted recently with Stan Jay at Mando Bros had Stan demo'ing their 12-fret J-200: he did a great job in the demo using palm muting to keep the big Jumbo under control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYSbG3LbK_g

The one I'm looking at is the 93 on eBay has the banner on the headstock. Can't play any none are near by. I'm a big fan of the sj200 I've had quite a few incl a tv which I still have. But price wise this one is right in my budget about now and would love to try one with hog b/s. but as you say it may be too risky because it is a 93.

I had a '96 that was rather "dead" sounding. Because of this and some other experiences, I think of the 90s as the "try before you buy" era and the 2000s as the more consistent years.

Archived