Gibson Brands Forums

New EPI Dot Owner - I'm lovin' it!

strangedogs

I've played on ONLY black Les Pauls (true Gibsons in my younger days and now an agile copy the last few years) but decided I wanted a Hollowbody. I bought an EPI Dot (Black again)and also a Fender Mustang I - just received them 2 days ago from MF. I have 4 other amps (2 vintage tubers and 2 SS) a slew of pedals I've collected since the 70's, couple of multi-effect pedals, etc., but wanted to try these Mustang modeling amps too. Since I play 99% of the time with headphones I figured the little Mustang I was fine.

at first I wasn't sure I could "handle" the DOT as my LP's were a different animal altogether. I got it set-up like I like (2 minor adjustments)and began to test it out. I'M IN LOVE with it now. Great job Epiphone! This baby sings. I play mostly Blues, Classic Rock and still love Metal too (even at 61). I found the DOT an amazing ax... sweet as can be - LOTS LIGHTER to hold, the wider neck is so nice as I played acoustic back in the 60's and I usually fingerpick (even metal)and the neck reminds me of my old acoustic necks. I couldn't be happier with this purchase. I can't stop playing it and just love to sit back and look at it. 1st Epiphone and I'm sold! The DOT is fantastic. I was going to get a WHITE DOT Royale Limited Edition - went to GC and tried one out BUT the binding is done in a horrible looking "sparkly glitter" that I just couldn't handle...

Thanks Epiphone for this truly Shaweeeet ax. I love it to death!!! :)

The Dot IMHO is certainly one of the best "bang for the buck" guitars at this point in time, at least.

As for adding a whammy... I almost find that funny since even in the olden days I disabled them on any guitar I got that had one - including a nice orange Gretsch... and the Biggy is part of why I dumped it. Shoulda kept it regardless, but... hey, I was young.

Ain't bought anything that came with a whammy since maybe '72, btw.

m

yeah - I changed my mind... I love my new DOT just like it is (although I may put some black speed knobs on her someday like my LP's have). I never had a whammy except for an SX SST57 Strat I had (Powder Blue)and I never used it... I sold it about 3 months after I bought it from RONDO Music as I'm a HB type of guy and never liked single coils or strats really. I sold it for more than I paid for it :) Screw the Bigsby - I'm a "bender". I'll post pics very soon.

Archived