Gibson Brands Forums

Christmas Music thread

merseybeat1963

Some people from my school went carol singing once... they got set about and their money taken. I still laugh about that when I'm reminded.

Maybe somebody took exception to their singing.....

When I was a kid in Germany in the early 50's, living on a small military base where we were holding the wall against the Red Menace, we would always go caroling this time of year. Lots of fond memories of that, and a low risk of getting mugged.

But I forgot: you lived in Glasgow.....

What got me in those years was how the German people loved and celebrated Christmas. This was only a few years after WWII, and most of the people still had nothing, but they still managed to be grateful for what they did have. Lots of gingerbread and simple toys in the shop windows.

NOBODY makes toys like the Germans did. Still have some of them, including a wonderful little die-cast wind-up 1952 Buick with white tyres. My father gave it to me when my mother, sisters, and I got off the plane from NY (PanAm DC-6) in Frankfurt.

Maybe somebody took exception to their singing.....

When I was a kid in Germany in the early 50's, living on a small military base where we were holding the wall against the Red Menace, we would always go caroling this time of year. Lots of fond memories of that, and a low risk of getting mugged.

But I forgot: you lived in Glasgow.....

What got me in those years was how the German people loved and celebrated Christmas. This was only a few years after WWII, and most of the people still had nothing, but they still managed to be grateful for what they did have. Lots of gingerbread and simple toys in the shop windows.

NOBODY makes toys like the Germans did. Still have some of them, including a wonderful little die-cast wind-up 1952 Buick with white tyres. My father gave it to me when my mother, sisters, and I got off the plane from NY (PanAm DC-6) in Frankfurt.

I'm an Army brat. We were stationed in Kaiserslautern. I know I spelled that wrong. Spent 7 years in Yurp btwn France and Germany. Came back to the states after De Gaulle kicked the US military out of France. I remember many happy Christmases from way back when.

I go to Trier quite frequently, only about 45-50 mins away, Frankfurt with work quite a bit, but I have some mates in Bochum and some in Dortmund. A mate from here moved to Berlin last year, so that'll up the motivation to go back to Berlin again. I like Germany, does what it says on the tin...

I'm an Army brat. We were stationed in Kaiserslautern. I know I spelled that wrong. Spent 7 years in Yurp btwn France and Germany. Came back to the states after De Gaulle kicked the US military out of France. I remember many happy Christmases from way back when.

Air Force brat here (Dad was Marine Corps, Army Air Force, and Air Force at different times between 1928 and retirement in 1960). Stationed at Hahn AFB 1953-1955 (50th fighter-bomber wing with F-86's), Rhein-Main

1955-56 (MATS). The German Economic Miracle was in its infancy.

Funny that we had parallel childhoods, Rob, and didn't even know it. You learn a lot on the Gibson acoustic forum.....

Yecchhs.

They jumped the Carolers..!

No wonder it took 40 years to find a good location for the Burrell Collection. : )

This would have been the 80's MB, Scotland and Glasgow in particular was being severely punished by Margaret Thatcher for not voting conservative. Unemployment was rife, jobs were moved to the south east as they couldn't have tory voters with no jobs, almost constant IRA bomb threats in the big stores (conservative party donators), the city was flooded with heroin. ..and of course religion was determined by wearing a green or blue scarf... The violence that went with the footballs green & blue scarves was at an all time high and knives were everywhere. Every time the old firm met up an average of 9 people would lose their life as a direct result of the game, countless others in casulaty dept's with knife wounds. High jinks....

Changed place these days, CCTV everywhere, the city centre is pretty decent, clubbing is among the best in the UK, lively music scene, all in all pretty trendy, loads of the old tenements are now super trendy apartments going for ridiculous sums etc...

The Burrell collection made me laugh though, it was located in a hot zone for prozzies, in order to get to the Burrell collection you'd get propositioned with all sorts en route.

I have always loved this guy and this version of a X'mas classic.

The great Bahamian guitarist Joseph Spence

hehehehehe

brilliant

just wanted to add a bit of reality to the mix 8-[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrmFdY6sE4A

can't find the version I wanted... not Mr Leadbetters best tune.. but its about Christmas anyways

or hows about maybe the weirdest thing Bob has ever done... cant be\at a bit of Appalachian accordian music in ya chrimbo songs

hehehehehe

brilliant

just wanted to add a bit of reality to the mix 8-[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrmFdY6sE4A

can't find the version I wanted... not Mr Leadbetters best tune.. but its about Christmas anyways

or hows about maybe the weirdest thing Bob has ever done... cant be\at a bit of Appalachian accordian music in ya chrimbo songs

Sounds like something for Hanukkah... always hated the Accordion but I cant help goin back to this.Love it.

Archived