Gibson Brands Forums

"I'll Be Home For Christmas" on J-45 Legend

Red 333

I wish I could see it. I click the link but the youtube screen stays black. Vid never starts.

I don't understand this, Rob. It works fine for me. Just checked, and it still works. Maybe you can go straight to youtube and search for it. BannerCoProductions is his youtube channel.

Red...

The pickin' is very, very nice, as is the guitar's tone but...

I expected that. <grin>

What I don't understand is how you did a solo on the camera while maintaining continuity on the music. I must be missing something here unless you had multiple cams simultaneously and messed with it that way???

Sheesh. OTOH, I ain't done vids since the mid-late 1980s with 3/4 tape... so... I'm way behind on the tech and never was all that good other than in some of the shooting and scratch editing.

My "baby" bro, OTOH, is pretty well up on such. (He's 28 years younger than I, hence "baby bro" even though he's nearly 40.) Gotta talk to him on his green screen studio time on a film he had been working on. <sigh>

BTW, the hat's a little on the narrow-brim side from what I wear daily, but... hey, it's okay. Works quite well for this type of piece, too. Most of the time when I've been "on stage," you can figure I'm wearing a hat whether it's "jazz" or "cowboy," but... hey, I figure they're just different sides of what's under the hat anyway.

m

Red...

What I don't understand is how you did a solo on the camera while maintaining continuity on the music. I must be missing something here unless you had multiple cams simultaneously and messed with it that way???

Milod, I used two cameras to capture me playing. One is the wide shot of me with the guitar. The mic went into this camera. The other camera simultaneously shot my fret hand and the guitar's headstock. I zoomed and panned the pictures from these cameras afterwards with my editing program, in order to make it appear more like someone is moving the cameras, instead of them being the way they were actually, which was locked off in a static position on their tripods.

The shots of my picking hand, of me from the side, and looking from the back of the guitar's headstock to the fireplace, and anything else were all done separately, after I got a take of the song I was happy with. Normally, you'd mime these to a playback of the chosen take in order to synchronize your movements, but I just tried to keep the rhythm the same in my head and hoped for the best. Luckily, the timing was pretty close, so the close ups of my fingers on the strings match the wider shot in which I actually played the song.

Thanks for the very nice words!

Red 333

Very good work regardless... and a heckuva nice Christmas card.

With what I have nowadays - not to mention lack of some video skills - is decent sound recording and then dropping in a still or two with the "it comes with WinXT" vid editing program. I think my Bro. has a lot better than most folks have at home, but then he does multimedia programming for MS, so it figures.

I think from what I've seen that you're likely making the right move with doing more yourself unless you're doing really big and complex productions. I've been noticing a lotta commercials on TV lately that overdo the "production" to the point that I think they miss the message - and think of the millions spent on them.

m

Red,

That Legend sounds awesome!!! Great playing and really nice video, too! I like the warm feeling to the video. Fits the feel of the song really well.

Curious - what strings are you using? Brand, gauge, 80/20 or phosphor?

John

Thanks, John! You (and the rest) are very kind.

I use Gibson Masterbuilt Phosphor Bronze 12's.

Red 333

Archived