Gibson Brands Forums

Win7 defender virus, need help removing

FenderGuy1

I'm on my iPad, so I was browsing the Internet like I usually do, I notice that google chrome has closed and I check the task bar and there is this fake antivirus program that's titled Win7 defender, I tried to get on the net to find some solutions to remove this virus but it would not let me start all 3 of my browsers :( this is why I'm getting a mac

Win 7 Defender Removal (How to remove Win 7 Defender)

When removed improperly, the left over registry entries messes up the opening of .exe files.

Use an alternate browser like Chrome to download the following or use a removable drive to transfer them to the affected computer:

1. Right click and save the registry file trojan_fakerean_exe_fix.reg, make sure that you are saving the file with a .reg extension.
  2. MalwareBytes’s Anti-Malware
  3. CCleaner Slim version

• Double click to run the downloaded (trojan_fakerean_exe_fix.reg) registry file, Click Yes to merge the registry data. This will delete the offending registry keys blocking the .exe files.
  • Install and run MalwareBytes’s Anti-Malware. Go to the Update tab and check for updates. Once the update is completed, open the Scanner tab and choose a full-scan. Once the scan is completed, click “Show results“, confirm that all instances of the rogue security software are check-marked and then click “Remove Selected” to delete them. If prompted restart immediately to complete the removal process.
  • Turn System Restore off and on
  • Install, scan and clean the temporary files with CCleaner Slim version.

You should now be clean of this rogue.

If you are unable to get rid of this scareware, please visit one of the recommended forums for malware help and post about your problem.

You don't need to replace the hard drive (well, not normally), just re-format it, and re-install Windows 7. You will need to choose the advanced option for the re-install and tell it that you want to re-format, and then to all extents, you will finish up with a “new” computer. With luck all your drivers will be re-installed automatically for you through Windows update.

I hope you have a back-up of all your valuable data, and it’s worth saving a copy of your “Favourites” folder.

Don’t forget to unplug any external hard drives etc before the re-format/re-install, or you will lose all data on those as well!

Good luck,

Ian.

Guest Farnsbarns

Just replace the hardrive if possible. Clean install OS on a fresh blank drive, or just remove the effected drive and take it to a computer shop or just take the whole thing to a computer shop. :rolleyes:

No

You don't need to replace the hard drive (well, not normally), just re-format it, and re-install Windows 7. You will need to choose the advanced option for the re-install and tell it that you want to re-format, and then to all extents, you will finish up with a “new” computer. With luck all your drivers will be re-installed automatically for you through Windows update.

I hope you have a back-up of all your valuable data, and it’s worth saving a copy of your “Favourites” folder.

Don’t forget to unplug any external hard drives etc before the re-format/re-install, or you will lose all data on those as well!

Good luck,

Ian.

And no...

Just do the download on your iPad and transfer the file.

@ray. I miused you with my fat thumb on my phone when trying to hit the multi quote button, sorry, unintended!

Oh, well thats cool man, I hardly ever pay attention to that stuff any-how's. And a re-format would solve his problem for sure, didn't know if FenderGuy has the savvy to do this type of thing. I have a repair guy here in town that I've known for years that has been real good to me when it comes to computer's. Some thing like this I would just take to him as he's been doing this sort of thing for a living for decade's. Only thing is he's one of the few guys in town that really has good computer smart's so he's always backed up for a week or two.

Archived