Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for some strap locks for my LP Classic Custom

Fleece

I put some Dunlop strap locks on my Ibanez, and while it was an easy swap and they work well...they're huge. I didn't mind too much, because it sorta fits with its superstrat body and Metal looks. But I'd like something a little more tasteful for my Les Paul. '

I've heard good things about Schaller, but I've also heard of installation problems with various guitars. I'd really, really rather not take a drill to my baby or pack the hole with broken toothpicks (a strangely common practice, I'm told).

So I'm basically asking for recommendations for a no-muss no-fuss direct replacement for the existing buttons. Any suggestions appreciated!

Hello Fleece!

I use Dunlop's. They kind of seem more reliable to me than others (three ball-bearings inside). Unfortunately, it's also not a bolt-on modification. If You go with them, You'll have to drill the neck-side strap button hole deeper to use the included screw. (Or You can buy shorter screws from a metalware store).

Tip of the day: if You put some soap around the screw threads, it will go in easier, with less risk of damaging the finish by a slipped-off screwdriver. Anyways, whenever You use a screwdriver on a guitar, it's wise to cover the surrounding area with a rag to avoid ugly accidents. ;)

Cheers... Bence

I used schaller....stock screws are too thin and the head of the gibson screw is too fat, so I got a screw from lowes to match the one Gibson uses (keeping the stock screw to keep originality) and I filed it down to make the head of the screw fit inside the strap button. Took about 10 minutes but works beautifully.

Many years ago I had a set of leather strap locks on a LP copy ( I think it was a kay) and I loved them. I would like to find some more if

they are even made anymore. Basically it was a strip of soft buckskin leather that you put the body screw thru and screwed to the guitar. Then it had a strap bevel button( like guitars have) built into the leather. You would then attach your guitarstrap to it and another fold of the leather lock would go ontop of the guitarstrap, sandwiching the strap in. I know it is hard to visualize. Wonder if they still exist?

Hello Fleece!

I use Dunlop's. They kind of seem more reliable to me than others (three ball-bearings inside). Unfortunately, it's also not a bolt-on modification. If You go with them, You'll have to drill the neck-side strap button hole deeper to use the included screw. (Or You can buy shorter screws from a metalware store).

Tip of the day: if You put some soap around the screw threads, it will go in easier, with less risk of damaging the finish by a slipped-off screwdriver. Anyways, whenever You use a screwdriver on a guitar, it's wise to cover the surrounding area with a rag to avoid ugly accidents. ;)

Cheers... Bence

Great advice as always Bence, and good to hear from you again. I think I'm going to stick with my pseudo-locking straps from planet waves. The new leather straps work very well, but just strike me as ill-befitting a guitar I love this much.

I don't trust my mechanical skills, but I'm sure I'll have an excuse to bring to bring my LP into my luthier again soon (I think the high E is starting to buzz just like it was with my Midtown!).

I used schaller on 41 of 43 guitars.If the hole is too big for the screw.You could put a half of a tooth pick in the hole and that will hold the strap lock tight.Add glue if you like.

Toothpicks are cheap pine. Shave a piece off the back of the body nobody can see with a pocketknife and the wood will match.

[blink]

I put some Dunlop strap locks on my Ibanez, and while it was an easy swap and they work well...they're huge. I didn't mind too much, because it sorta fits with its superstrat body and Metal looks. But I'd like something a little more tasteful for my Les Paul. '

I've heard good things about Schaller, but I've also heard of installation problems with various guitars. I'd really, really rather not take a drill to my baby or pack the hole with broken toothpicks (a strangely common practice, I'm told).

So I'm basically asking for recommendations for a no-muss no-fuss direct replacement for the existing buttons. Any suggestions appreciated!

yeah i couldn't play the lp without something, strap locks or whatever. the front of the strap would sometimes fall off. a while ago i found a real cheap fix, basically a pair of rubber washers at Folkway in Guelph, ON. They don't stock them anymore. I considered you know strap locks where you have to replace the stock parts. with the washers the strap stays on as long as the washer holds out. i've even just gone with these to home depot (to size them up) and got a pair of regular rubber washers that do the trick.

Toothpicks are cheap pine. Shave a piece off the back of the body nobody can see with a pocketknife and the wood will match.

[blink]

I laughed. Hard. Then I realized that next week this will be actual internet wisdom somewhere.

rct

I laughed. Hard. Then I realized that next week this will be actual internet wisdom somewhere.

rct

Lol...

So,, "lol" is far overused on the internet.. But I literally did. So I used it.

It's so true. People are so gullible they believe everything as long as it is in print somewhere.

I say,,,, I like the smell of my own farts... so now,,,, I suppose everyone will... hehe..

Archived