Gibson Brands Forums

Your favoрite guitar

MR GIBS

Hi folks,

Just want to ask you: I know some of you have many instruments but...

Are you in love?

Do you have you favorite one?

Just imagine you are Sultans and you have harems...

Who is your real lover???

Which guitar you would choose to play in your last hour???

???

Acoustic it would be my J-200. Electric I'm really bonding with my Epi P-93 Rivera, but I always end up running back to Chelsey, my 2010 Les Paul Std with Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers installed.

Do I have to pick just 1? That's why I have a harem, so I don't have to choose [biggrin]

Acoustically.....My '57 CF100-E still ('speaks-to-ME) the most! Definitely my final hour guitar. Mr. Gibbs! That is my story and i AM STICKING TO IT!......My '48 SJ ...after that....and then theres'.......the J-----and the.....L.....Oh Yeah.....The CF

I'm still looking.

Acoustic-wise I do not have one that I'm crazy about. I'm willing to trade off any of them if I see one I think will fill the void. I'm still on that journey.

Electric-wise my Fender Tele Select. Love it.

I have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to guitars both old and new. In addition, because of the Banner book and my x-ray project, literally dozens of historically significant guitars, from one of Orville's pre-Gibson guitars to the likely first guitar branded a Martin, have come through my hands. I think that this experience has really led me to appreciate the differences among guitars. I steadily rotate guitars and play them all. I do develop favorites, but those favorites are always changing. I also loan out guitars to friends, studio musicians, and luthiers for months at a time. When a guitar returns after 6 months, it's like a whole new discovery!

Two guitars always remain in my rotation and I always take them to gigs; My 1930-ish National Tricone:

NationalStyleTricone002_zpsae12109a.jpg

And my 1917 Dyer harp guitar:

1917DyerStyle7SymphonyHarpGuitar_zps0e77c101.jpg

Beyond these two, I keep other guitars in particular tunings (D, G, G6, DADGAD) and generally just rotate through them. In another thread, I posted yesterday that my current favorite is a 1943 SJ. But, thinking about playing historically significant guitars led me this morning to get out my 1928 L-1. It's an incredible sounding guitar. Plus, it's a year older than Robert Johnson's and the right hand picking wear is that of a someone either with substantial nails or fingerpicks. In short, this thing has played the blues for 85 years. Whenever I play it I always think about who played and and where:

1928L-1003_zps1a24954c.jpg

I confess to being afraid of a singular commitment: I love them all (but not always equally). I do have a serious crush on my L-OO Legend right now, but am also feeling a flush of passion for my Fuller's '43 SJ (Houston). But I still pull out my old J-45 (Jackson) when I feel like cuddling. Ater more than 45 years, we're sort of joined at the hip. Never mind that she had at least one serious relationship with someone who loved her and left her before we hooked up in 1966.

He did not treat her well, even though she made his living for him. I've tried to help her recover from that trauma over the decades, and I think she feels loved now.

I have a 1999 Martin HD-28V, a 1960 LG-2, and a 1948 LG-2 and a 2011 Taylor Grand Concert Sinker wood BTO guitar, and a 2007 J-45 True Vintage. The one I'm in love with, the only one I take on the road is the J-45 TV. Even though that year had the Sitka top, it is an amazing sounding guitar. But you all knew that didn't you???? [thumbup] Happy Holidays to everyone!

Excuse me GIBS, but it's against my philosophy to pick one above others and place numbers on the rungs of a ladder. Especially when it comes to themes I really dig, such as bands, Dylan-tunes, Fab-members, friends and, , , , , forumites (though somewhere on a deeper lever PM would be my favorite – at least over X-mas).

I understand what you say and the answers of the thread reveal many a little pearl, but I'm sure you understand back over.

The kick comes from being able to choose thus enjoy and know the 45 better while playing the Bird, if you see.

The love goes out to them all, which generates and shows me different facets of love.

This is becomin' dangerous, 'cause as time rolls by, I actually begin to believe you can love women in the same way – without being a jerk. Hallelujah, there I went – wait a minute, , , think I can place my affection for acoustic guitars over quite a few other things in life, , , and there's the touch of contradiction that makes the monk walk on. . . .

If you want a material #1, the herd tops the chart -

I have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to guitars both old and new. In addition, because of the Banner book and my x-ray project, literally dozens of historically significant guitars, from one of Orville's pre-Gibson guitars to the likely first guitar branded a Martin, have come through my hands. I think that this experience has really led me to appreciate the differences among guitars. I steadily rotate guitars and play them all. I do develop favorites, but those favorites are always changing. I also loan out guitars to friends, studio musicians, and luthiers for months at a time. When a guitar returns after 6 months, it's like a whole new discovery!

Two guitars always remain in my rotation and I always take them to gigs; My 1930-ish National Tricone:

NationalStyleTricone002_zpsae12109a.jpg

And my 1917 Dyer harp guitar:

1917DyerStyle7SymphonyHarpGuitar_zps0e77c101.jpg

Beyond these two, I keep other guitars in particular tunings (D, G, G6, DADGAD) and generally just rotate through them. In another thread, I posted yesterday that my current favorite is a 1943 SJ. But, thinking about playing historically significant guitars led me this morning to get out my 1928 L-1. It's an incredible sounding guitar. Plus, it's a year older than Robert Johnson's and the right hand picking wear is that of a someone either with substantial nails or fingerpicks. In short, this thing has played the blues for 85 years. Whenever I play it I always think about who played and and where:

1928L-1003_zps1a24954c.jpg

You have stunning instruments, but your 1928 L-1 is The Guitar. Lord, What A Guitar!!!

Archived