Gibson Brands Forums

BB King doing quite nicely, thank you, in '74.

pippy

Great clip - in his prime! B.B always had great players in the band and this includes Milton Hopkins on rhythm guitar, Bobby Forte on tenor, Ron Levy on piano and I think the drummer is Sonny Freeman. Excellent; I still can't understand how he does that vibrato - I can't move my hand like that on a string and make it work!

...Great seeing him run with those hints of jazz - very cool....

I bought one of his albums back in around '84/5(?) called 'Blues'n'Jazz' but I don't remember there being that much jazz in it!

I'll have to drag it out and give it a listen!

Glad everyone has enjoyed the clip.

He's so effortlessly wonderful it is almost annoying...

P.

Seriously, that's B.B. KING man!

One should never question his awesomeness. One should never be surprised. We ain't talking about anybody, this is B.B.KING. Of CORSE he is great!

I don't know which era I would call his "prime", because I think he gets better every time all the time. I haven't seen him in a few years, but the last time I seen him, he was better than the time before, and that time was better than the time before that...so on and so forth.

But, still, a guy can hear an old clip like this, and wonder how it could be better. That last about as long as until you see him again, or see the next clip.

Or, how about going way back. And then go way, way back, and go a little back further than that. To the beginning of "lead" guitar, to 'single note' leads like what it has become, for both blues and rock. When poeple like Clapton point out that it B.B. was the inspiration, and you compare B.B. to his contemporaries and what else some might have had available to hear, it really does seem the man INVENTED the single-note at a time style of lead guitar as opposed to strumming and such for leads.

Go into the resurgance of the Blues, SRV and such, and these guys name B.B. as an inspriration, and these are for totally different reasons in different times.

Please, please don't take this wrong because to me, BB is THE blues picker of the post WWII era.

But as has been alluded to, he also was getting into picking in an era of great change of how guitar itself was perceived as a "lead" instrument as well as rhythm and rhythm-lead.

What he plays is magical as technique and concepts of the era and of previous music and concepts also washed through his head.

But I think it's also an error to see any musician as deriving their technique as though they had been in a musical vacuum until bursting fully-formed in a given style.

That's true, to me at least, whether discussing Segovia, BB or Chet or anybody younger.

m

...Please, please don't take this wrong..... I think it's also an error to see any musician as deriving their technique as though they had been in a musical vacuum until bursting fully-formed in a given style....

I couldn't agree more (and I'm sure BB would be with you on this as well).

In his case it was Louis Jordan.

Thanks to Farns for posting this a wee while back in the 'Tone' thread over in the Les Paul forum;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqRqVUyobM

P.

Please, please don't take this wrong because to me, BB is THE blues picker of the post WWII era.

But as has been alluded to, he also was getting into picking in an era of great change of how guitar itself was perceived as a "lead" instrument as well as rhythm and rhythm-lead.

What he plays is magical as technique and concepts of the era and of previous music and concepts also washed through his head.

But I think it's also an error to see any musician as deriving their technique as though they had been in a musical vacuum until bursting fully-formed in a given style.

That's true, to me at least, whether discussing Segovia, BB or Chet or anybody younger.

m

lol

Do you walk around talking like that or just write like that?

I had to read that 3 -4 times to understand what you are saying and I still don't really know if I understand it

Don't take this wrong.Not meant as any type of disrespect,just confused

lol

Do you walk around talking like that or just write like that?

I had to read that 3 -4 times to understand what you are saying and I still don't really know if I understand it

That's possibly because It's written in 'English' English as opposed to 'American' English...

Possibly...........

[laugh]

P.

Pippy... Actually it's written in American English.

I have to write 2-3,000 words a day for a general audience assumed to have a roughly sixth grade reading ability. When I have the opportunity to write for what one hopes is a more literate audience, I do so.

Do I talk that way all the time? Only among those who have the capacity to understand it. Frankly it's far more concise and expressive among those who "get it."

Around a cattle branding fire my spoken grammar is simplified, but the vocabulary switches into a professional jargon that's far more difficult for city folks than a "foreign" language. In other venues, it depends.

At our Saturday "family Christmas," yes, I speak that way. In fact, "we" speak that way. The adults included a railroad conductor, a civil engineer, a retired cop, a military/medical stores clerk now a stay-at-home mommy, an institutional cook, a grocery store clerk, a former nurse/journalist and a journalist.

Allusions... at times even on a guitar board such as this, some of us may make the unwarranted assumption that certain things are "known" when they are not. Such writing adds flavors to discussion not otherwise possible - but ain't going to catch the attention of some folks.

For what it's worth, I have two "mottos" framed over my work desk. One is in Latin and Greek, one in early Italian. The only person who pretty well "got" them is an old cowboy friend nearly my own age. And when I say cowboy, I mean literally hat, boots and spurs used daily on horseback when he ain't in town. The Italian one is especially famous, and is a thought I suggest should be read by today's generation of younger journalists: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate.

<huge grin>

m

Yes indeed to BB 'being' the man...in that genre that is 'Chicago' Blues

Soulful and honest expression at all times...and a fine vocalist to boot... [thumbup]

Pertinent at this juncture to mention in passing the 'inventor' of single note lead electric guitar playing

Charlie Christian... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

Saw B.B., back in the very early '70's, at Municiple Auditorium, in Kansas City!

I was a college student, at KU, in Lawrence, at that time...and, my roommates

and I decided it would be a good thing, to go see BB King! It was not only a

GOOD thing, it was Awesome!! Both in his playing, and the music, in general..

but, being among a mere handful of "white" folks, in the audience, we saw all

these gorgeous black women, of all ages, going "crazy" watching and listening to

his music. I hadn't seen a reaction, like that, since I went to see The Beatles,

at Busch Stadium, in 1966. I personally witnessed one, "40 something" lady, remove

her (red) under garment, and toss it on stage. They landed on the end of BB's Walnut

colored ES-355, and remained there, the entire song. Being the total professional,

that BB is, he didn't miss a note. After he finished that song, he removed them,

smiled, a very big smile, and just nodded to the woman, and said "Thank you!"

A memorable night, all around. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Pippy... Actually it's written in American English.

I have to write 2-3,000 words a day for a general audience assumed to have a roughly sixth grade reading ability. When I have the opportunity to write for what one hopes is a more literate audience, I do so.

Do I talk that way all the time? Only among those who have the capacity to understand it. Frankly it's far more concise and expressive among those who "get it."

Around a cattle branding fire my spoken grammar is simplified, but the vocabulary switches into a professional jargon that's far more difficult for city folks than a "foreign" language. In other venues, it depends.

At our Saturday "family Christmas," yes, I speak that way. In fact, "we" speak that way. The adults included a railroad conductor, a civil engineer, a retired cop, a military/medical stores clerk now a stay-at-home mommy, an institutional cook, a grocery store clerk, a former nurse/journalist and a journalist.

Allusions... at times even on a guitar board such as this, some of us may make the unwarranted assumption that certain things are "known" when they are not. Such writing adds flavors to discussion not otherwise possible - but ain't going to catch the attention of some folks.

For what it's worth, I have two "mottos" framed over my work desk. One is in Latin and Greek, one in early Italian. The only person who pretty well "got" them is an old cowboy friend nearly my own age. And when I say cowboy, I mean literally hat, boots and spurs used daily on horseback when he ain't in town. The Italian one is especially famous, and is a thought I suggest should be read by today's generation of younger journalists: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate.

<huge grin>

m

Its just not what I am accustomed to i guess and I find myself reading it over a few times before it starts to sink in.

Randy...

Yeah... and sometimes I probably should use a bit more punctuation on those compound, complex sentences - at minimum to make parsing them a bit simpler.

I think that's another "thing" about forums and how we're not "face to face."

I'll bet a nickel that you'd have caught on easily if we were sitting together having coffee or some other libation.

m

Pippy... Actually it's written in American English...

In which case, Milo, it's possibly the first recorded instance where American English and English English have actually 'coincided'......

[laugh]

Merry Festive-Pagan-Xmas-Holiday-Celebration-Non-Work-Day or whatever else there might be wherever you all are, Folks!

Have a good one!

P.

Pippy...

Actually I think T.S. Eliot certainly qualifies for best combining the power of our language as a whole, and with combining streams of both variations in it.

Parenthetically, when Mom discovered that at age 12 I loved "The Wasteland," she got me a copy of Sir James George Frazer's Golden Bough that offered perhaps some interesting perspectives I've not forgotten. Funny thing, though. I ain't read it since.

m

Randy...

Yeah... and sometimes I probably should use a bit more punctuation on those compound, complex sentences - at minimum to make parsing them a bit simpler.

I think that's another "thing" about forums and how we're not "face to face."

I'll bet a nickel that you'd have caught on easily if we were sitting together having coffee or some other libation.

m

Probably correct there. Alot of clarity is lost by a written message and I think often times things are misunderstood or assumptions made which are not perceived the way the poster intended.

Uncowboy billybob...

Glad you feel that way.

It makes me realize that I'm far from the most cynical on the forums here.

As a fellow journalist, the late H.L. Menken, once noted: "The average man does not get pleasure out of an idea because he thinks it is true; he thinks it is true because he gets pleasure out of it."

m

I can attest that Milod writes to at least 12th grade reading level. I understand it completely.

Maybe more than that, as I seem to learn something when I read his writings.

Wait...I'm confused- He WRITES no higher than 12th grade reading level, but the CONTENT is could be college level thinking.

Enjoyment of thought provoking educational oppurtunities aside, I am of the opinion that more of this style of writing would result in a higher standard of intelligence, if, it was more typical of society. This, resulting from the tendancy to engage one's intelligence in a higher level for comprehension.

As a fellow journalist, the late H.L. Menken, once noted: "The average man does not get pleasure out of an idea because he thinks it is true; he thinks it is true because he gets pleasure out of it."

m

Now THAT'S cynical.

Had this been your own quote, I might expect it's always followed by a question, either written or implied. (although I see the question here, which is more of a statement).

Is cynicism without hope still cynicism? My understanding says no, but if there is one characteristic I find unique to the blurbs of MILOD, it is a mixture of hope and peace coexisting at high levels...a rare occurance in men.

Archived