Gibson Brands Forums

BB King doing quite nicely, thank you, in '74.

pippy

Stein...

Well...Menken was more cynical than I am.

As one who has taught stuff in the past, and in my daily vocation write to let folks know what's going on in their community, I guess I always have a glimmer of hope that knowledge will benefit others. You're right.

Sometimes the glimmer ain't real bright.

And unfortunately there's more truth to the Menken quote than I might wish.

He also noted - this is an indirect quote anyway - that nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American public. Now that, my too-distant friend, is cynical. Yet as with the earlier quote, perhaps carrying more than a little truth within it as well.

<grin> Perhaps I err sufficiently that I ain't rich. <chuckle>

m

So, what has all this, got to do with "BB King?" [flapper][biggrin]

CB

Let me first make something clear. I am not a journalist nor have I ever claimed to be.

It has nothing to do with BB. He easilly communicated with an audience. We got off track discussing something that will not come to a peacefull end.

It's partly my fault and I am won't speak of it any longer. Sorry for the hijack.

BB always had a great band and always kept them busy. Still does try to keep the band as busy as possible. He says he owes it to them.

He's a great teacher too, really. What I remember is 1 - Make every note count, and 2 - Save your best stuff for the 4 chord.

[thumbup]

This Monday night we'll be playing some BB tunes - Don't Answer the Door, How Blue Can You Get, There Must Be a Better World Somewhere and Thrill is Gone.

In his case it was Louis Jordan.

Thanks to Farns for posting this a wee while back in the 'Tone' thread over in the Les Paul forum;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqRqVUyobM

P.

Thankyou. I have been alone with virulent influenza over Xmas and this really cheered me up; after I watched it I watched all the other B.B. teaching/technique clips too.

Pertinent at this juncture to mention in passing the 'inventor' of single note lead electric guitar playing

Charlie Christian... [biggrin]

V

I read somewhere that both Christian and T-Bone Walker learnt from the same guitar teacher....wonder who that guy was??!

Re Milods musings; I enjoy his posts - they are not untrammelled, recidivist, prone to tergiversation or equivocation and usually cannot be gainsaid...although some may nonplus his correspondents. Know what I mean?

Furthermore, H.L.Menken did not play the blues.

Regards and a very Happy New Year to one and all!

Archived