Gibson Brands Forums

Another newbie with a Dot

Cougar

New 2012 Cherry Dot. This is one beautiful instrument. It's almost worth the price just as a piece of sculpture. It came totally out of whack, though. Needed a full setup. I just got it back from the local luthier. (I'm mostly a keyboardist, with some acoustic guitar background. This is my first electric!) Man, that luthier's work made a world of difference. I actually got his name from an old discussion on this site.

Not really being a guitarist, I did a lot of research into Gibson and Epiphone electrics over the last month or two. Mainly, I was looking into getting my 90-year-old father a nice light touch Les Paul. He's been playing some hard-action acoustic for the last 20 years, and a harder-action vintage Epiphone acoustic for 50 years before that. I ended up getting him a Gibson Les Paul Studio. He flipped. I couldn't stop, though. I had to go back and get this cherry semi-hollowbody archtop Epiphone. And it is workin' now!

Oh, yeah, all I've got for now is this lousy photo. Jeez, there are some real photographers on this board with incredible guitar photos. I'm going to have to work on that.

post-51689-066162200 1356224816_thumb.jpg

I've had my new Dot (Black) for about a week now and LOVIN' IT. Been playing Les Pauls since the 70's but haven't touched my LP since I got the DOT. amazing ax! all my guitars are black - my LP (an agile copy that's every bit as sweet as the Gibson's I've owned) is black w/gold hardware). The DOT is a true "player" and I love the wider neck. I love just looking at it on it's stand. I'm determined my next buy will be an EPI LP Custom or Elite (black of course ;) )

Welcome to the world of Dot - like nearly everybody else, I love mine. Playability is great following a pro set up but I sometimes think the pickups could do with a bit more life and clarity particularly when played clean. I might need to start thinking about an upgrade in the near future.

I sometimes think the pickups could do with a bit more life and clarity particularly when played clean. I might need to start thinking about an upgrade in the near future.

I put SD Classics in my Dot and the difference was like night and day!

Mainly, I was looking into getting my 90-year-old father a nice light touch Les Paul.I ended up getting him a Gibson Les Paul Studio.

I had to go back and get this cherry semi-hollowbody archtop Epiphone.

Very Very Cool.....and Welcome!!!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21424628/Welcome2.mp3

(Hit Play)

Happy Holidays to You and Yours,

Willy

I sometimes think the pickups could do with a bit more life and clarity particularly when played clean. I might need to start thinking about an upgrade in the near future.

I've got nothing to compare them to, but they sound great to me, especially after the luthier raised them, and tilted them so the volume of the high E is in the ballpark of the low E.

This thing's got an Alnico Classic Humbucker neck pickup, and a Classic Plus bridge pickup. What's not to love? [smile]

Cougar... is that simply a matter of a plastic covering to protect them prior to sale - similar to the plastic on the pickguard?

As for the Dot... Honestly, for what I play, the pups are fine. I do have the opinion though that proper matching of pup height, the volume and tone settings both on Dot guitar and amp will offer so many tone variations I can't imagine dumping them for something else. It also sounds quite different on different amps. But that's just an old guy who's only been pickin' electrics since '65. Whatever suits you tickles me plumb to death.

m

Cougar... is that simply a matter of a plastic covering to protect them prior to sale - similar to the plastic on the pickguard?

I checked for that. It appears to be printed right on the pickups. I see no edge to a plastic covering. Wait a minute. Well, son-of-a-gun, you're right! Get those things off of there! Ah, that looks MUCH better!

Now, how do I get the "E" on the pickguard to fall off? 8-[

I was also thinking about the E on mine when it started lifting of it's own accord so I gave it a little gentle encouragement and it came off completely. A little surgical spirit on cotton wool took care of the left over glue and it now looks as though there was never anything there. When I bought my EL-00 acoustic, I simply got a finger nail under the edge of the E and slowly prised it off - again, surgical spirit took care of the rest.

Merry Christmas one and all from a very rainy England.

Kinda funny with that "E."

Some Epi forum folks have considered the penchant of the "E" to drop off as "bad QC."

Different strokes for different folks.

Me, I never worried about it one way or another. Figured the guitar sounded pretty much the same either way.

m

...A little surgical spirit on cotton wool took care of the left over glue and it now looks as though there was never anything there.

Oh, good to hear. I was wondering if that was going to leave a mark.

Merry Christmas one and all from a very rainy England.

Same to you from a very snowy Wild West.

I can recall whe nI got my Dot,the E sticker was peeling or lifting up a bit on its won.I tried to hold it back down a couple times with some common paper glue stick glue. Worked for a short time but the E was stubborn and lifted up again. I pulled it all the way off,cleaned any of the glue residue of the pickguard with a small amount of rubbing alcohol and q tip and its been off since. The guitar plays the same with the E on or off. I still have the E,its just not on the Dot.

The pickups: I found them a bit muddy.They weren't horrible but I knew i could get it more to my liking with little effort and money.I was correct. I swapped the stock pickups for a set of GFS vintage 59 pickups from guitarfetish.com. THey have that paf type tone I wanted and are no longer muddy sounding to me. To each his own on all of it. Its all about what YOU like.

Well... it's snowing here in northern cowboy country, although there ain't much on the ground. A bit chilly, though.

Dunno if "northern cowboy country" qualifies it for "wild west" or not. But it's where John Wayne was trailing cattle in the '72 movie "The Cowboys" and where we had more than our share of folks qualifying for the NFR.

m

Dunno if "northern cowboy country" qualifies it for "wild west" or not. But it's where John Wayne was trailing cattle in the '72 movie "The Cowboys" . . .

I mean the Wild West to be vaguely in the region that Butch Cassidy hung out. But in reality, not in the movie. Well, quite a ways southwest from the Hole in the Wall hangout.....

Cougar...

Hmmmm... I know the Hole in the Wall country a bit, along with the area of the Johnson County war... Butch was from Utah as I recall. Sundance got his name from ... Hmmmmm.... Sundance... which is just across the border a ways in a bit bumpier terrain.

Some of the boys in the gang, btw, made a visit to my community and didn't do very well, especially given that they overdid a bit of internal lubrication prior to their efforts toward a withdrawal from the bank... <grin> One supposedly was captured hiding in an outhouse...

That's before we had a jail in town, BTW.

m

Archived