Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Original

hi13ts

I've been waiting a long time for this: a vintage-style Gibson SG with Maestro that's not custom-shop-priced. I was a bit skeptical of its existence since I've yet to find official information on this model other than from Sweetwater. Fortunately, a Gibson dealer in my town ordered one in for me and I now own the guitar that I've wanted since I started playing the electric guitar. It's quite a beast, having a finish that's more reminiscent of washed cherry than heritage cherry. It does have the large headstock and might have a two-piece body (I can't really tell for sure). I can't imagine it being more than a few months old as there's still a strong lacquer smell and just through knowing that it's a "new" model meant for 2013. There are a few problems though...

I've been having a hard time setting this guitar up. I wanted to blame the Maestro, but I think it's a combination of poorly lubricated nut slots and bridge saddles. When I play I get black stains on my fingers. I attribute that to fretboard conditioner or something that was put on the fretboard before shipping. It seems as though whenever I play, the B string steadily slacks, causing it to detune. It's not enough to notice by ear right away, but I can definitely feel it. My plan is to play the hell out of it and break it in, and then when strings arrive, I'll switch them out, then bring it to a trusted luthier and have him tie-up the loose ends that I couldn't. Other than these problems, it's pretty much a dream. 57 Classic's are beyond this world...

I hope some of you have gotten the chance to acquire one of these beauts. Those who have, I'd like to hear your experience with them. Remember to include pictures if you can!

post-2481-089253000 1356246986_thumb.jpg

post-2481-062603500 1356246998_thumb.jpg

I've been waiting a long time for this: a vintage-style Gibson SG with Maestro that's not custom-shop-priced. I was a bit skeptical of its existence since I've yet to find official information on this model other than from Sweetwater. Fortunately, a Gibson dealer in my town ordered one in for me and I now own the guitar that I've wanted since I started playing the electric guitar. It's quite a beast, having a finish that's more reminiscent of washed cherry than heritage cherry. It does have the large headstock and might have a two-piece body (I can't really tell for sure). I can't imagine it being more than a few months old as there's still a strong lacquer smell and just through knowing that it's a "new" model meant for 2013. There are a few problems though...

I've been having a hard time setting this guitar up. I wanted to blame the Maestro, but I think it's a combination of poorly lubricated nut slots and bridge saddles. When I play I get black stains on my fingers. I attribute that to fretboard conditioner or something that was put on the fretboard before shipping. It seems as though whenever I play, the B string steadily slacks, causing it to detune. It's not enough to notice by ear right away, but I can definitely feel it. My plan is to play the hell out of it and break it in, and then when strings arrive, I'll switch them out, then bring it to a trusted luthier and have him tie-up the loose ends that I couldn't. Other than these problems, it's pretty much a dream. 57 Classic's are beyond this world...

I hope some of you have gotten the chance to acquire one of these beauts. Those who have, I'd like to hear your experience with them. Remember to include pictures if you can!

good score, hope it straightens out nicely !

mines not an origional, just a '10 Standard from the early run after the flood, but it arrived absolutely flawless and needed only a +/- 3 minute tweak to set up to my likings.....

GarysCam171.jpg

GarysCam172.jpg

Congrats on your purchase. Every issue you have mentioned can be fixed by you. It is going to take a bit of tinkering but you should be able to have the guitar set up correctly over a small amount of time. The black on your fingers is probably from the strings and not the neck. I notice this from changing the strings on my guitar. I believe it is some sort of coating on the strings from the factory. The vibrato on your b string with your guitars set up, I would get some nut lube and put it in the slots on the nut. Make sure your intonation is correct too. Gibson has slacked off on the fit and finish quality over the years. Also when you get your new strings in be sure to change them one at a time and not by clipping the old ones all at once. I have noticed on more than one sg that doing it all at once will make it go out of whack with string height and neck bow. Good luck, Tim

• 2 weeks later...

good score, hope it straightens out nicely !

mines not an origional, just a '10 Standard from the early run after the flood, but it arrived absolutely flawless and needed only a +/- 3 minute tweak to set up to my likings.....

GarysCam171.jpg

GarysCam172.jpg

I got an Ebony 2012 standard from my wife for christmas. It to came perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

I just received my SG Original yesterday and I love it. However, I have a newbie Lyre Vibrola question. It looks like when my SG Original was shipped, the Lyre Vibrola arm is very tight to the guitar. If I try to lift it up over the volume controls it feels like its putting too much stress on the guitar. I can barely move the arm left or right from its position. It's almost clamped down in that position.

I am assuming that it was tightened down for shipping purposes, however if I want to loosen the arm, do I just un-screw the arm from its post a bit until it looses more? Also, do I need to restring the guitar to get the arm to its "natural" position?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-52881-099699700 1359041503_thumb.jpg

I just received my SG Original yesterday and I love it. However, I have a newbie Lyre Vibrola question. It looks like when my SG Original was shipped, the Lyre Vibrola arm is very tight to the guitar. If I try to lift it up over the volume controls it feels like its putting too much stress on the guitar. I can barely move the arm left or right from its position. It's almost clamped down in that position.

I am assuming that it was tightened down for shipping purposes, however if I want to loosen the arm, do I just un-screw the arm from its post a bit until it looses more? Also, do I need to restring the guitar to get the arm to its "natural" position?

Try to go the other way- over the maestro cover. Just a suggestion, i'm not a expert on this matter

Try to go the other way- over the maestro cover. Just a suggestion, i'm not a expert on this matter

It is too tight to even go that way as well. From the looks of it, the bend in the arm on my guitar (arm bend angles down) looks like the opposite of the original poster's photos (arm bend angling up). Would I just need to unscrew the lyre arm and flip it around, then tighten again?

Mine was the opposite--barely tight enough (I'll fix that with my first string-change though). Just CAREFULLY (as the "Original" features a historically-accurate SLOTTED head mounting screw) loosen the screw enough and reposition it. They can be a little finicky at first, but you'll soon enjoy the heck outta' that simple piece of decorative spring metal (such a simple design, but FAR more effective than it's given credit for).

H

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was the opposite--barely tight enough (I'll fix that with my first string-change though). Just CAREFULLY (as the "Original" features a historically-accurate SLOTTED head mounting screw) loosen the screw enough and reposition it. They can be a little finicky at first, but you'll soon enjoy the heck outta' that simple piece of decorative spring metal (such a simple design, but FAR more effective than it's given credit for).

H

H-Bomb...how is the Maestro, on your new "Original?" I'm having mine replaced, as it was defective.

(Was really stiff to operate, and the handle was at such an angle, it wouldn't clear the switch, or volume

and tone knobs, when I tried to swing it out of the way, and up against the Lyre tailpiece.)

Apparently, there were a few of the "first batch" of "Original's" that had the problem. Gibson has

since corrected it.

Since ours came from the same dealer, which came in, from Gibson, together...I just thought I'd better

ask you, if you're having any issue(s), with it? If not, GREAT!! Gibson is sending a replacement,

for mine, and Brian will install it, when it arrives. We'll ship the defective one back, of course.

Otherwise, this is one AWESOME/FANTASTIC SG!! [thumbup]

CB

Charlie,

Is that really the case? I thought that it was just the way Gibson angled their Maestro's now. Have you gotten a replacement part? Are they replacing the guitar? I've actually contacted Jon from Gibson Customer Service but have yet to receive a reply after two months so I just dealt with it. If it's true what you're saying, maybe the newly angled (corrected) Maestro will keep tune better?!! Let me know as soon as you get yours! In the meantime, I'm gonna shoot out another email to Gibson CS.

Charlie,

Is that really the case? I thought that it was just the way Gibson angled their Maestro's now. Have you gotten a replacement part? Are they replacing the guitar? I've actually contacted Jon from Gibson Customer Service but have yet to receive a reply after two months so I just dealt with it. If it's true what you're saying, maybe the newly angled (corrected) Maestro will keep tune better?!! Let me know as soon as you get yours! In the meantime, I'm gonna shoot out another email to Gibson CS.

The replacement Meastro Vibrola is at my dealers, as of this afternoon. I'm heading to Wichita, tomorrow

morning, to have it installed on my guitar, and my dealer will send the "defective" one, back to Gibson,

per our collective agreement. Gibson CS has been very, very, helpful, and quite prompt, in both their

response to me, and...in getting the new parts shipped. But then, I have always had (so far) a good

response, from Gibson, that way.

Hope you can get your's sorted out, to your satisfaction, as well. Good Luck!

Cheers,

CB

Very good,

Please update us on the functionality of the new Maestro, Charlie. I hope I get a reply from Gibson CS soon too. I can't imagine the Maestro being too much trouble to replace so hopefully they'll just send it straight to me without having to go through a dealer. Thanks for letting us know this!!

Back, from my dealer's (E.M. Shorts), in Wichita! SG now works as I expected it should have, initially.

There was, definitely, something wrong, with the Maestro that was attached, at the factory. When we got the new one out, even before putting it on the guitar, you could tell, just the way it sat, on a level plain, that the old one was way off. (The Spring Plate WAS the problem!) Now, with the new one installed, I can more easily use the vibrola, AND...the handle swings backwards, completely, and out of the way entirely, resting parallel, against the long tailpiece...as all my other one's had, way back when. So, I'm a very happy camper, now...and my "perfect" SG...is now even more so!! [thumbup]

So...Many Thanks, to Gibson's CS Team, for their help, in getting this sorted out. And, to Brian, at E.M. Shorts, for his timely and expert installation. [thumbup]

CB

I tracked down your posts that were pertinent to this and saw the new Maestro. I'm so happy that I wasn't crazy in thinking there was something wrong!! Hahahahaha! I sent Gibson an email and am waiting their reply. I really hope to get mine rectified soon!! Tell, though, was it a difficult installation? How does tuning hold now?

I tracked down your posts that were pertinent to this and saw the new Maestro. I'm so happy that I wasn't crazy in thinking there was something wrong!! Hahahahaha! I sent Gibson an email and am waiting their reply. I really hope to get mine rectified soon!! Tell, though, was it a difficult installation? How does tuning hold now?

If you have medium, and small screw drivers, it's easy enough to remove and install. I'm

sure I could have done it, here...but, "just in case," I had it done at the dealer. And, they

too, wanted to see exactly what the problem was, and the differences between the original unit,

and the corrected replacement. It was really pretty obvious...side by side.

I think it actually holds tune, better, now. And, it wasn't bad, before. Time will tell, if that

holds true, over the long run. But, so far, so good! [thumbup]

Hope you get your's resolved, as well!

CB

• 1 month later...

H-Bomb...how is the Maestro, on your new "Original?" I'm having mine replaced, as it was defective.

(Was really stiff to operate, and the handle was at such an angle, it wouldn't clear the switch, or volume

and tone knobs, when I tried to swing it out of the way, and up against the Lyre tailpiece.)

Apparently, there were a few of the "first batch" of "Original's" that had the problem. Gibson has

since corrected it.

Since ours came from the same dealer, which came in, from Gibson, together...I just thought I'd better

ask you, if you're having any issue(s), with it? If not, GREAT!! Gibson is sending a replacement,

for mine, and Brian will install it, when it arrives. We'll ship the defective one back, of course.

Otherwise, this is one AWESOME/FANTASTIC SG!! [thumbup]

CB

CB,

Sorry for the delay...I've had a heck of a time getting back on, but all appears well now. Regarding my "Original", I know what you mean about the steep angle on the Maestro...actually I thought it was a direct response to some of the complaints on the Custom Shop ones having almost NO angle (and thus VERY limited bending capability), but you're right, it does tend to be difficult to swing around. Since I'm out here on the East coast, I can't mosey on down to EMS and pick up a replacement...I wouldn't mind replacing this one with a little bit less-dramatic angle (even if I just got the base frame sans-cover and could use the original cover). The ONLY concern I have would be if a string broke in the "off" position (parallel to the plate) and the "walrus tooth" were to dig into the body above the jack. Otherwise I actually would prefer the extended bending capability of the angle it's at now. I may have to contact Lance and ask him what they can do. I unloaded a couple of guitars I wasn't playing, and I was seriously debating getting a second one of these soon. :)

H

1364429175[/url]' post='1352437']

CB,

Sorry for the delay...I've had a heck of a time getting back on, but all appears well now. Regarding my "Original", I know what you mean about the steep angle on the Maestro...actually I thought it was a direct response to some of the complaints on the Custom Shop ones having almost NO angle (and thus VERY limited bending capability), but you're right, it does tend to be difficult to swing around. Since I'm out here on the East coast, I can't mosey on down to EMS and pick up a replacement...I wouldn't mind replacing this one with a little bit less-dramatic angle (even if I just got the base frame sans-cover and could use the original cover). The ONLY concern I have would be if a string broke in the "off" position (parallel to the plate) and the "walrus tooth" were to dig into the body above the jack. Otherwise I actually would prefer the extended bending capability of the angle it's at now. I may have to contact Lance and ask him what they can do. I unloaded a couple of guitars I wasn't playing, and I was seriously debating getting a second one of these soon. :)

H

Hey, CB and Hbomb, my Original was made 11/22/12 and my bar is as you guys described; will not go over the knobs, must be pulled up to go over the plate and digs into the body when put back by the jack. What are the dates of manufacture for your Originals?

Hey, CB and Hbomb, my Original was made 11/22/12 and my bar is as you guys described; will not go over the knobs, must be pulled up to go over the plate and digs into the body when put back by the jack. What are the dates of manufacture for your Originals?

Contact Gibson CS. I did, and they sent a replacement Maestro unit, to my dealer,

who installed it, for me. They even offered to send it directly to me, (I'm sure

I could have done it, myself...but, my dealer wanted to make it right, since I had

just purchased it, about 10 days prior), so I opted to have them send it to my

dealer, instead.

Gibson did have a batch, of "bad" Maestro units, and acknowledged such. They were

on the first series of SG "Originals," if/when they occured. Not ALL had them, but

apparently there were quite a few, as they didn't hesitate to send me a new unit.

They had originally offered me a new guitar, but I loved the one I had, except for

the defective Maestro, so they simply replaced that. So, you should be able to get

it replaced, either directly to you, or through your dealer.

My defective Maestro had all the same symptoms, you've described your's as having.

Good Luck!

CB

1364434198[/url]' post='1352469']

Contact Gibson CS. I did, and they sent a replacement Maestro unit, to my dealer,

who installed it, for me. They even offered to send it directly to me, (I'm sure

I could have done it, myself...but, my dealer wanted to make it right, since I had

just purchased it, about 10 days prior), so I opted to have them send it to my

dealer, instead.

Gibson did have a batch, of "bad" Maestro units, and acknowledged such. They were

on the first series of SG "Originals," if/when they occured. Not ALL had them, but

apparently there were quite a few, as they didn't hesitate to send me a new unit.

They had originally offered me a new guitar, but I loved the one I had, except for

the defective Maestro, so they simply replaced that. So, you should be able to get

it replaced, either directly to you, or through your dealer.

My defective Maestro had all the same symptoms, you've described your's as having.

Good Luck!

CB

How do I contact them?

Archived