Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Original

hi13ts

hi13ts, congratulations on a beautiful guitar. Sigh, I've been gassing for this since I've seen it. I don't have the funds for one right now. It would be cool if they offered this in pelham blue.

On another note, does anyone know if he SG original is the same specs as the SG Standard? I can't see any difference except the Lyre.

SG "Original" has '61 Spec's plus Lyre/Maestro.

SG "Standard" (2013) has the '61 body spec's,

with stop tailpiece, and the headstock is

smaller, nore like the past "Standards" had.

CB

Thanks Charlie. So, basically, the headstock and tail piece?

hi13ts, congratulations on a beautiful guitar. Sigh, I've been gassing for this since I've seen it. I don't have the funds for one right now. It would be cool if they offered this in pelham blue.

On another note, does anyone know if he SG original is the same specs as the SG Standard? I can't see any difference except the Lyre.

The body is more period correct than the 61. The pickups are slightly different than the 61 or standard as Gibson says the coils have laquer coated wire like original PAFs.

The body is more period correct than the 61. The pickups are slightly different than the 61 or standard as Gibson says the coils have laquer coated wire like original PAFs.

Interesting...

Side by side, my "Original," and my "Satin '61" look virtually identical, save

the actual finish, and wood grain. So, I'm not sure what the exact "difference,"

body wise, is?

According to my measuring tape, they're the same...or, so close, as to allow for

the natural differences, guitar to guitar, that the portions done "by hand," would

allow for, anyway.

I thought the "laquer coated wire"(actually it's enamel coated) was typical of '57's,

anyway...save maybe the 4-wire versions?

CB

Interesting...

Side by side, my "Original," and my "Satin '61" look virtually identical, save

the actual finish, and wood grain. So, I'm not sure what the exact "difference,"

body wise, is?

According to my measuring tape, they're the same...or, so close, as to allow for

the natural differences, guitar to guitar, that the portions done "by hand," would

allow for, anyway.

I thought the "laquer coated wire"(actually it's enamel coated) was typical of '57's,

anyway...save maybe the 4-wire versions?

CB

The horns on my Original are thinner than the horns on my 61. The horns of the SG original look almost pointy compared to the SG 61. Also when I read the description of the 57 classics they claimed they use a plastic coating on the wires I noticed that description changed on a couple of the other SG's like the original.

The description of the 57 classics for the 61 SG are as follows: The pickups are made by Gibson to the exact same specs as the original PAFs, including Alnico II magnets, nickel-plated pole pieces, nickel slugs, maple spacers, and vintage-style, two-conductor braided wiring. Instead of enamel-coated wiring, Gibson added poly-coated wiring—which improves consistency by eliminating thin or thick spots on the wire—and wax potting, which removes all internal air space and any chance of microphonic feedback

The description for the 57 classics on the SG original are as follows: The SG Original recreates the great tones of vintage SG Standards via a pair of '57 Classic humbucking pickups, some of the most popular recreations of vintage PAF humbuckers available today. Each carries a genuine Alnico II bar magnets and is wound with 42-AWG enamel-coated wire, for the characteristic blend of warmth and creaminess that made original PAFs legendary, updated with wax potting for howl-free performance at high volume levels.

Clearly this describes two different types of 57 Classics. I first noticed this same description of the 57's on the Jeff Tweedy model and I believe on the Derek trucks model. I'm just saying…. And the body of my 61 reissue is clearly different than the body of my SG original.

The one on the left is a 61 and the one on the right is the Original, the horn on the 61 is clearly wider. But that's nothing compared to my SG Classic which is almost as wide as the body

8599490460_716a0ba3c2.jpg

Yeah, as Charlie pointed out (pun), the Original has much better horn-tip tapering (that they SHOULD be putting on the Historic/CS ones as well!), and while it does come across as a little more "pointy" than a mid-60's original, it's still acceptably "60's" without question. I still am stoked about mine, and even with the Maestro's issue it's still a phenomenal instrument in every sense. I cannot recommend it highly enough. For ANYONE even remotely thinking about a Custom Shop "reissue", this is a much more practical option AND as previously stated, aside from the bolt-bushing tuners and Nashville bridge, it's "as historically accurate" and even MORE so than the Historics going for twice the cash.

Charlie, I emailed Lance and Gibson Customer Service. I hope they'll just offer to send me the part directly as they did you, because while it's a VERY tedious transplant (the cover-plate screws being the tricky part), a couple of well-placed microfiber towels and a lot of patience, and I'll have her working beautifully in a few minutes. :)

If Gibson does me right, I'll be putting my deposit down on my second one ASAP.

Wonder if I could get the Custom Shop to do me an Original in Pelham or Candy Apple Blue? :P

H

Yeah, as Charlie pointed out (pun), the Original has much better horn-tip tapering (that they SHOULD be putting on the Historic/CS ones as well!), and while it does come across as a little more "pointy" than a mid-60's original, it's still acceptably "60's" without question. I still am stoked about mine, and even with the Maestro's issue it's still a phenomenal instrument in every sense. I cannot recommend it highly enough. For ANYONE even remotely thinking about a Custom Shop "reissue", this is a much more practical option AND as previously stated, aside from the bolt-bushing tuners and Nashville bridge, it's "as historically accurate" and even MORE so than the Historics going for twice the cash.

Charlie, I emailed Lance and Gibson Customer Service. I hope they'll just offer to send me the part directly as they did you, because while it's a VERY tedious transplant (the cover-plate screws being the tricky part), a couple of well-placed microfiber towels and a lot of patience, and I'll have her working beautifully in a few minutes. :)

If Gibson does me right, I'll be putting my deposit down on my second one ASAP.

Wonder if I could get the Custom Shop to do me an Original in Pelham or Candy Apple Blue? :P

H

All it takes, is MONEY! (And, patience!!) [biggrin]

Also, if you e-mail Gibson some photos, of what your Maestro is doing (or, NOT doing, properly), there

should be no problem. I included photos, with my initial contact, to Gibson CS. They in turn, took

those photos to the plant manager (At least, that's what I was told), so he could see for himself, just

exactly what was going on. Might be worth a try, for you, as well. But, I'm sure Lance, and E.M. Shorts,

will make it right! [thumbup]

CB

The horns on my Original are thinner than the horns on my 61. The horns of the SG original look almost pointy compared to the SG 61. Also when I read the description of the 57 classics they claimed they use a plastic coating on the wires I noticed that description changed on a couple of the other SG's like the original.

The description of the 57 classics for the 61 SG are as follows: The pickups are made by Gibson to the exact same specs as the original PAFs, including Alnico II magnets, nickel-plated pole pieces, nickel slugs, maple spacers, and vintage-style, two-conductor braided wiring. Instead of enamel-coated wiring, Gibson added poly-coated wiring—which improves consistency by eliminating thin or thick spots on the wire—and wax potting, which removes all internal air space and any chance of microphonic feedback

The description for the 57 classics on the SG original are as follows: The SG Original recreates the great tones of vintage SG Standards via a pair of '57 Classic humbucking pickups, some of the most popular recreations of vintage PAF humbuckers available today. Each carries a genuine Alnico II bar magnets and is wound with 42-AWG enamel-coated wire, for the characteristic blend of warmth and creaminess that made original PAFs legendary, updated with wax potting for howl-free performance at high volume levels.

Clearly this describes two different types of 57 Classics. I first noticed this same description of the 57's on the Jeff Tweedy model and I believe on the Derek trucks model. I'm just saying…. And the body of my 61 reissue is clearly different than the body of my SG original.

The one on the left is a 61 and the one on the right is the Original, the horn on the 61 is clearly wider. But that's nothing compared to my SG Classic which is almost as wide as the body

8599490460_716a0ba3c2.jpg

Does your "White" '61 not have the back (upper horn) bevel, that your "Original" does...or is it so much less pronounced, that just that slight difference in angle, obscures it? IF it has less of back bevel, that would account for the difference in horn taper (point), etc. I've noticed in my dealer's store, that even the "Historic" Custom Shop SG's vary a LOT, in horn thickness/taper. Some, look like your white '61, some look more like your "Original." So, as was the case with the actual '61's, back in the day, there is always a bit of difference, guitar to guitar, and even "year to year!" "Spec's subject to change, without notice," and all that. [tongue][biggrin]

CB

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/SG-Standard-Reissue.aspx

As you can see, in that Custom Shop SG-Standard-Reissue...the horn "points," are nearly rounded off!

That too, varied somewhat, from guitar to guitar, and year to year. Like "H-bomb," I feel the new

SG Original, is as close as Gibson has come, lately, to what my own, vintage original '61 looked like.

The color, the bevels, and "scoup" beveling, at the horns, as well as the more narrowed tapering...

it's all there! [thumbup] And, I too, don't mind the "Nashville" bridge, or bolt-bushing tuners. Those,

especially, though not "historically" correct, are an improvement, if anything! There was good reason,

that a lot of owners, of the original '61-68 SG's changed the tuners, to Grover's (or other's)! [tongue]

Cheers,

CB

Does your "White" '61 not have the back (upper horn) bevel, that your "Original" does...or is it so much less pronounced, that just that slight difference in angle, obscures it? IF it has less of back bevel, that would account for the difference in horn taper (point), etc. I've noticed in my dealer's store, that even the "Historic" Custom Shop SG's vary a LOT, in horn thickness/taper. Some, look like your white '61, some look more like your "Original." So, as was the case with the actual '61's, back in the day, there is always a bit of difference, guitar to guitar, and even "year to year!" "Spec's subject to change, without notice," and all that. [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Yes, that's what I was saying my 61 and my Original have a noticeably different bevel at the horns. The horns on the Original were so pointy that I wasn't sure if I liked them until I read Hbomb's rants about horn shape.

Yes, that's what I was saying my 61 and my Original have a noticeably different bevel at the horns. The horns on the Original were so pointy that I wasn't sure if I liked them until I read Hbomb's rants about horn shape.

Well, I was just curious...as my '61 (Satin finish) is exactly like my "Original" horn point,

taper, and bevel wise. So, that's why I asked the question. What year, is your White '61 reissue?

CB

I had the same exact problem with the angle, as you can find in some of my earlier posts. I love the guitar but finally bit the bullet and contacted Customer Service. They sent the new part to my authorized repair shop, and now all is well. I just got it back after not having it for a week or so, and can't wait to gig it this weekend. If you're having issues with yours, contact CS; they will make it right for you.

1364527799[/url]' post='1352991']

I had the same exact problem with the angle, as you can find in some of my earlier posts. I love the guitar but finally bit the bullet and contacted Customer Service. They sent the new part to my authorized repair shop, and now all is well. I just got it back after not having it for a week or so, and can't wait to gig it this weekend. If you're having issues with yours, contact CS; they will make it right for you.

I sent them a message today. I will wait a few days to see if they contact me. If not, I may go your route and go to a Gibson repair person in my area.

Gibson emailed me back and told me to take it to the nearest authorized luthier. That would mean, in Los Angeles, Neely Guitars and I found him to be kind of full of himself to put it politely. Does anyone know of any other authorized Gibson repair shops in LA? (sorry for the double post)

Archived