Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson stool assembly help!

Lefty Guy

My dear wife gave me one of those 24ins Gibson swivel guitar stools for xmas......only problem is I can't assemble it.

Got the legs & foot ring together ok, but the swivel mechanism appears to be locked, & I cannot move the plates to offset each other so that I can bolt it to the top of the legs. Can't budge the damn thing, it seems to be stuck....any ideas?

Mine isn't Gibson branded, but the swivel mechanism should be similar. In order to offset the swivel for installation to the frame, the instructions say " The swivel needs to be turned offset to access the holes. Please be careful during the process as the edges of the swivel are sharp. We recommend placing the swivel on the floor, place on foot on the swivel and turn it half a turn".

The swivel mechanism may just be very stiff, since it hasn't been operated.

(Believe it or not, I keep the instructions for stuff like this. I still have the crumbled pieces of the original endpin for my old J-45, too. Somebody, please help me!)

My dear wife gave me one of those 24ins Gibson swivel guitar stools for xmas......only problem is I can't assemble it.

Got the legs & foot ring together ok, but the swivel mechanism appears to be locked, & I cannot move the plates to offset each other so that I can bolt it to the top of the legs. Can't budge the damn thing, it seems to be stuck....any ideas?

I had trouble getting mine to move also ...seemed impossible when seat and legs weren't attached, but once assembled it moves very nicely. Maybe yours really is stuck somehow but what you describe sounds about like my experience. I don't remember specifically how I moved it enough to get the bolts in and the seat attached and rubber mallet. but I remember it being tough.

If yours is just stubborn you will like it when finished because the seat doesn't swivel too easily....it is just right on mine.

I had trouble getting mine to move also ...seemed impossible when seat and legs weren't attached, but once assembled it moves very nicely. Maybe yours really is stuck somehow but what you describe sounds about like my experience. I don't remember specifically how I moved it enough to get the bolts in and the seat attached and rubber mallet. but I remember it being tough.

If yours is just stubborn you will like it when finished because the seat doesn't swivel too easily....it is just right on mine.

Like the nodehoppper says, you want that mechanism to be fairly tight.

And Merry Christmas, Nodehopper! Enjoyed meeting you at Fred's.

OK thanks guys, great feedback & I got it turning by standing on it! I've attached it all but it only swivels 180 degrees as the protruding screw hits one of the bolt heads halfway round. Does it matter which way up you fix the turntable goes? i.e. ball bearings facing up or down?

OK thanks guys, great feedback & I got it turning by standing on it! I've attached it all but it only swivels 180 degrees as the protruding screw hits one of the bolt heads halfway round. Does it matter which way up you fix the turntable goes? i.e. ball bearings facing up or down?

Sounds like yours is a little different from mine. In mine, the heads of the bolts attaching the lower turntable plate to the bent tubes of the base are at the top (between the upper and lower swivel plates), with the nuts on the underside of the bent tube. The screws go up into the wooden base of the seat through the upper swivel plate, so the heads of the bolts and the heads of the screws face each other. There is a good 10mm clear between the heads of the bolts and the heads of the screws.

I'm not sure it should matter which side is up or down, providing the holes all line up and the swivel still turns.

I got one of these for free a wee while back, never had any hassles with the construction or the plate rotation on mine. Can take a few pics of the underside if you're still having troubles.

I got one of these for free a wee while back, never had any hassles with the construction or the plate rotation on mine. Can take a few pics of the underside if you're still having troubles.

Which way up did you place the ball bearings?

I hope you get it working Lefty.

Just had to say Nick's note cracked me up big time. I'm that way with wood scraps. . . [lol]

.... (Believe it or not, I keep the instructions for stuff like this. I still have the crumbled pieces of the original endpin for my old J-45, too. Somebody, please help me!)

Well, got it sorted finally! Many thanks for all your help. Of course it helped that I was almost sober today (Boxing day)....I was clearly far too pi**ed when I attempted it last night.... :-)

I should add that I love this stool already.....so cool, a nice height & so comfy resting my feet on the ring.

Archived