Gibson Brands Forums

New sg standards and 2 pick up customs for 2013

bigtim

Got to looking around the net today and noticed the new 2013 SG Standards are looking more like the reissue or original sg's with the small guards. I am kind of surprised but I guess every 20 years or so they kind of go back and forth. I think it is a good step in some ways but I also read that the new 2013 models have the classic 57 pick ups in them too. Very surprised since I always thought that was only available from the factory on the reissue models so now I guess if someone wanted the 490 and 498 set ups they will have to get a used one or find one on clearance somewhere. They almost look like the originals minus the wider headstock too. I noticed on musicians friend that there will also be a 2 pick up sg custom however there is no pic available yet. Sweet water has some posted on their site but it looks like they will only come in 2 colors though. I am a fan of the large guard style SG which I guess will be on the back burner for the next decade or so who knows. It would be real nice if they would come out with a large guard SG custom for a change like a 65-71 reissue. I would most definately have to get one if they did. Tim

Pesonally, I think the 2013 SG Standard is (one of) the Best things, GIbson has done,

of late, regarding SG's. Deeper/wider Beveling (FINALLY), tapered horns, again (FINALLY),

and the smaller (original style) pickguard (why hide that beautiful body, under more plastic?!).

This model/incarnation, is WONDERFUL! As is the new SG "Original," with Maestro! Another

great decision, on Gibson's part! [thumbup] But, again...that's just MY feeling/opinion.

Other's, will (no doubt) vary. [biggrin]

Oh, and Thank You Gibson, for putting '57's, back in them! Another awesome decision, on your

part!!

CB

Charlie, I cannot remember if I asked you this before or not, but does my 2012 '61 Reissue have the deeper beveling and tapered horns you speak of?

It is perhaps the best playing and quality guitar I have ever owned.

Love the thin 60s neck on it.

I have to agree too on the smaller pickguard.

Why hide the beautiful wood under a huge pickguard.

1.jpg

Charlie, I cannot remember if I asked you this before or not, but does my 2012 '61 Reissue have the deeper beveling and tapered horns you speak of?

It appears so:

If you look at the area of the cutaway, you can see it is beveled all the way to the pickguard. On some that have the "lesser" beveling, the bevel would be smaller and not extending to the pickguard. Some from the 70's and 80's do not have much bevel there at all, more of a slab and squared off at the edges of the body (including all around the body, not just near the pickguard).

The "tapered horns" refers to the back of the body. On your's, if it has the tapered horns, you should see that the body gets thinner toward the top where the cutaways are. Viwing from the side, you should see the thickness of the body is thinner at the horns than the rest of the body- or in other words, the back is not flat all the way across, but tapers up at the cutaways. A "non-tapered" body will be flat all the way across and have the same thickness all over when viewed from the side.

Here's the differences, between the past "standard," beveling,

and the current 2013 (and original '61 style) beveling.

Look at the horn tips...they're the same thickness, as the body wood.

And, the beveling is much shallower...especially in the lower horn area

between the neck and tip.

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Gibson_SG_Standard

Now, these are from my '61, and typical, for the new 2013 Standard, and "Original"

models, as well. Notice the tapered horn tips, and deeper/wider beveling. This is

how ALL SG models, were done, originally. (Sorry, for the 'dust'...Winter air is

very dry, and lots of static electricty.)

DSC_0005-5.jpg

DSC_0003-2.jpg

DSC_0001-2.jpg

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Pesonally, I think the 2013 SG Standard is (one of) the Best things, GIbson has done,

of late, regarding SG's. Deeper/wider Beveling (FINALLY), tapered horns, again (FINALLY),

and the smaller (original style) pickguard (why hide that beautiful body, under more plastic?!).

This model/incarnation, is WONDERFUL! As is the new SG "Original," with Maestro! Another

great decision, on Gibson's part! [thumbup] But, again...that's just MY feeling/opinion.

Other's, will (no doubt) vary. [biggrin]

Oh, and Thank You Gibson, for putting '57's, back in them! Another awesome decision, on your

part!!

CB

I agree! My 2013 Heritage Cherry Standard came yesterday. The reasons I picked it are pretty much just what you're saying here....the '57 Classics (my Epiphone LP 1960 Tribute has the same pups), the small pickguard (I used to have a "batwing" SG but sold it). I was not aware of the differences in the beveling until reading your post however. Interesting information.

Tom

No offense intended but I don't like the deeper bevels on the SG's. They make them look scrawny and anemic. Good thing there are plenty of variations of SG's to make everyone happy! Last years 2012 Standard is as beveled as I like. Maybe I'm an odd duck but I really like the early 70's almost non beveled SG's that have a meaty/chunky look to them. :-k

Archived